Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-06-18, 11:20 AM   #1
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

New lightweight TA 36er tyre

Thought people would like this - the new TA tyre is apparently lighter than the Nimbus Nightrider

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/blog/?p=6807

Just hoping they haven't taken all the weight off the tread, because I've heard the TA lasts a decently long time right now.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 01:12 PM   #2
Moslki
Unicyclist

Good news! I'm very happy with my Nimbus Nightrider though (I think the tread in it will last me for a very long time..)
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 02:00 PM   #3
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I'm happy with my current TA, but I've never ridden a lighter 36er tyre so I have nothing to compare it to. Putting a FOSS tube in made a huge difference to ride quality, so I'd imagine shaving nearly a kg off the tyre would do a world of good too.

I don't really ride off-road (I'm a bit of a gravel-grinder but that's about it) so I've no need for any more tread than the TA provides
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Old 2015-06-19, 07:37 AM   #4
UPD
fail better.

Cool, Im in the market for lighter tire
PM, do you ride it on really loose gravel? If so hows it perform? My Coker tire with Coker tread does well on it, even though its not knobby but it has big lettered spacing which makes it suprising good for offroads.

Also, I wonder if there's trade off in a lighter 36er tire, because I sometimes really enjoy the huge rolling momentum when the wheel gets rolling fast. But then again, Im sure you can achieve greater effeciency and ultimately greater distance with lighter tire, not mention, "throw" it around alot easier in muni.

Also, I wonder if the Todd and the Vee tire is from the same company, because when I search for the Todd tire it also directs me to the Vee.
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 10:31 AM   #5
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I occasionally ride super-loose gravel, not fallen off yet so I guess that's a good thing

I think the Todd is a Vee Rubber, whereas the TA is made by Qu-Ax. I could be completely wrong here, but UDC UK lists the TA as being made by Qu-Ax (though probably outsourced to a company like Vee )
Old 2015-06-21, 01:12 AM   #6
newob
Unicyclist

Old Leadwheel really needs to start slimming, so this is excellent news about the new tyre; any news on when it becomes available in US?
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-22, 03:38 PM   #7
redwelly
Sam Wakeling

Send a message via Skype™ to redwelly
This is a really promising thing - my ideal 36 tire would be both slick tread and lighter weight. I've got one on the way thanks to Unicycle.com, to have a try in time for the 100 mile record attempt.

If the tread pattern and profile is the same as the previous TA tire then it may be possible to drop another 100g or so by trimming down the edge ribs. We'll see...
redwelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-22, 05:04 PM   #8
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Yeah, I really like the slick tread of the TA. The main issue for me is the weight. Let us know how your testing goes!
Old 2015-06-22, 05:53 PM   #9
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Qu-Ax weighted the tire:

02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-22, 06:04 PM   #10
LanceB
This space available

And hey, when those nubs get worn off, it will weigh even less!
(Nice to see it come in at or below the advertised weight!)
Old 2015-06-22, 08:13 PM   #11
newob
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
And hey, when those nubs get worn off, it will weigh even less!
+1
I have read about folks "shaving" their tire, and this one does indeed have some stubble.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-22, 11:10 PM   #12
jtrops
Unicyclist

I really liked my TA when I had a 36er. the weights were all over the place back then, and when I weighed mine it came in around 1700grams. At the time it was lighter than the weights many people were posting for the Nightrider tire.

So, my thoughts are that the tire itself hasn't really changed, but that the quality control might have. I think it's likely that someone got a tire in the 1600g range back then, and that 2500g was the upper limit.
Old 2015-06-24, 01:12 PM   #13
redwelly
Sam Wakeling

Send a message via Skype™ to redwelly
I got mine from Unicycle.com UK yesterday and on my kitchen scales I make it 1550g.

It does seem to be the same tread depth as the previous version - it must be a change in the rubber compound which saves the weight.

A quick test ride let me convince myself that it felt nimbler, and I made it up a hill in high gear which I hadn't managed before.
redwelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 02:31 PM   #14
irad
Unicyclist

Maybe I'm wrong, but not much higher is the maximum air pressure at the night righter then this light tyre?
irad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 02:35 PM   #15
irad
Unicyclist

Nimbus Nightrider 36" x 2.25" Tyre
Size: 36x2.25", to fit 787mm rim
Colour: Black
Construction: 2-ply
Pressure Rating: Max 65PSI
Tread Pattern: Road/Touring/Trail.
Weight: 1.75kg (+/- 100g)

TA 36" x 2.25" Road Tyre