Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-05-13, 01:29 PM   #1
GideupJimmy
GideupJimmy

Riding Uni in Shanghai / Beijing

Hey ..... am heading soon to Shanghai and Beijing. And planning to take uni for Some random moments. Thinking to take the 29” instead of 36” ... of note have ridden in many parts of world including Havanah and Vietnam so no stranger to unusual destinations ... but China may be a little different. . One of the targets is riding in proximity and view of the Great Wall ( not on it ) ... and same along or nearby Bund in Shanghai. Jimmy is keen to learn of any experiences or learnings anyone can share ... ?? Cheers.
GideupJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-13, 01:43 PM   #2
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

One of my most fun experiences was riding a bike through the central part of Beijing. That was in 1997. I think cars have taken over the place by now.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-13, 09:00 PM   #3
UniScot
Scot Myhr

There are a few Chinese unicyclists in the Unicycle Chat group on Facebook. They'd probably have a few pointers.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/115835695144753/

29" KH commuter
24" 1970's Schwinn (parked in the garage)
24" Torker Unistar CX
20" Torker Unistar CX
19" Nimbus trials
UniScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-15, 06:28 AM   #4
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

My experience is outdated, but if you bring a unicycle to the Great Wall Myutan-Yu, you may be allowed to ride it up there. We did this in 1993 and 2000, but those were both specific events for unicycles, though the 2000 visit was just a tourist thing, the day after Unicon X was over. There were probably a couple of hundred unicyclists there, arriving in several big buses, but it was otherwise a normal day of tourist operation. Some brought unicycles, others were too hung over from the previous evening's "Beer Workshop".

Kris Holm also famously did some riding on the Great Wall Ba-Da-Ling (closer to Beijing), which can be seen with a quick Web search. I'm pretty sure they just showed up and did that. Again, that was in 2000, so much may have changed since then.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, riding, shanghai, uni