Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-07-09, 03:41 PM   #61
morris90210
Unicyclist

The finish

morris90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 04:19 PM   #62
UPD
fail better.

Woohooo!! So awesome!
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 04:37 PM   #63
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
Congrats Sam! That is awesome!
Old 2015-07-09, 06:40 PM   #64
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Congratulations Sam - super effort. Commiserations Roger. I think that shows how tough the record probably is.
Old 2015-07-09, 06:43 PM   #65
LanceB
This space available

Super congrats! 100+ miles at 25+MPH average is mind boggling!
Old 2015-07-09, 06:48 PM   #66
unibokk
Unicyclist

Sam sets new world record

That's a huge achievement.

Congratulations Sam. You go straight to the top of my list of unicycle heroes.

AWESOME performance !!!
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 07:31 PM   #67
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
Super congrats! 100+ miles at 25+MPH average is mind boggling!
25 + kph average
Old 2015-07-09, 07:38 PM   #68
Unicyclist Lou
Unicyclist

Congratulations! This is a great accomplishment. It is something that will motivate me for years to come.
Unicyclist Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 08:09 PM   #69
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Congratulations Sam! You smashed the record!
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 08:19 PM   #70
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Epic speeds right there! Big shame about Roger's DNF, if there's anyone who could smash the ungeared record it's him. Can I ask why your record says 'unverified' on your website? Is that just because it's the 'geared' record?

And did anyone video it?
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 08:32 PM   #71
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

Probably gotta wait for Guinness to give the official okey-dokey.

Congrats to both! What a tremendous achievement!
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 08:32 PM   #72
unibokk
Unicyclist

I suspect the data and video has to be sent off to Guinness and be verified.

So for now, technically, Sam is awaiting verification.

Last edited by unibokk; 2015-07-09 at 08:34 PM.
Old 2015-07-09, 08:33 PM   #73
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
Probably gotta wait for Guinness to give the official okey-dokey.
In his first post, he said that Roger (on the ungeared) was going for a Guinness record, as apparently Guinness don't allow geared unicycles at all. The geared record is an IUF record, not a Guinness record (presumably?) so I figured that'd mean it'd stay unverified by Guinness forever.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 08:34 PM   #74
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
Epic speeds right there! Big shame about Roger's DNF, if there's anyone who could smash the ungeared record it's him. Can I ask why your record says 'unverified' on your website? Is that just because it's the 'geared' record?

And did anyone video it?
Sam went for the IUF 100 mile record, so still needs to send the documentation in to the IUF.

This record had stood for a long time...almost three decades, with various attempts on it over the years.

Yes, agree if we had an ungeared record, Roger will be the person to break it. Remember that the 1987 record was set on a much bigger wheel than a 36".
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 08:36 PM   #75
redwelly
Sam Wakeling

Send a message via Skype™ to redwelly
[Final time for those not looking at the spreadsheet:]

6 hours 18 minutes, 13 seconds.

Wow, that was hard!

As you can see from the graph of lap times I went off fast, as I was feeling fresh and the wind was low and I wanted to get a good time cushion.

Before long it started feeling harder and was less of a cruise around and the side of the track with a headwind (the pit lane side) became more and more of a slog.

With Roger doing his laps in the other direction, we crossed over twice per lap, with a pretty loose arrangement of which side we'd pass each other on. In reality it didn't matter and we just passed whichever side we were heading towards (the track is very wide and with some corners where you naturally take them wide we weren't following a very specific path around the circuit.

I started off with the plan to eat small amounts of things like flapjack and peanuts but after a few times of getting a portion and spending the next lap or two chewing and trying to breathe at the same time we moved on to just using energy gels (Roger had brought a few family size boxes!). They were much easier to swallow down and gave a good quick hit.

I also found I needed to drink a lot of water. I carried a standard bottle (500ml-ish) in my jersey pocket and got it refilled many, many times. Somewhere in the middle I was getting some twinges of cramp, once getting very painful and threatening to bring me down but I was just able to ride through it and it eased off. It was very helpful to have a friend supporting who is also a sports nutritionist who could advise on what to do to solve each problem I had (whether to worry about eating enough, what kind of drink to stave off cramp, what to do when my stomach felt uneasy etc.).

We didn't count, but I estimate I got through 15 or so bottles, so about 7 litres of water. I had to take a stop at mile 63 to have a wee, and it was really good mostly just to be off the saddle and able to relax my back for a few minutes.

Mentally this was probably the hardest of all the unicycle events I've done as after about 40 miles I was feeling quite tired and the wind increased, making it quite a drag to get around each lap. The laps remaining seemed to stretch out a very long way and it was hard to imagine the end coming. I had music playing on my phone all the time, but mostly this just became background blur, and the frequent check-in phone calls (using auto-answer to my headphones so it was fully handsfree) from Louise were the main thing between me and the slow-draining world of pain.

It was hugely helpful to be able to speak properly to the people giving me food and drink, as you can't communicate much by yelling as you ride past and it was much easier to describe what I wanted next or what information I wanted to know (mostly "how many laps to go?" and "what am I on course for?").

There was a lovely atmosphere in the pit lane with a small crowd who were there to support and witness, banging bells and giving encouragement each lap. Especially when the 'laps to go' countdown got into single figures it was suddenly possible to see light at the end of the tunnel. I could have done with another loo break, but knew that it would be very tough to get my legs to perform a graceful landing or remount, and I didn't want to lose the time so close to the end so I made myself push through it.

The last lap was a huge relief and I found some last strength to wind up a last turn of speed. I knew I didn't have to last any longer and just hoped I didn't overcook this final burst since falling off at this stage would have been ironic at the least!

The target that I had before today was quite wildly optimistic, and up until half way I still wanted to crack six hours. But as the day wore on I knew I didn't have the power to regain the pace that had been flagging, and settled in for getting to the finish knowing that it should still break the record, by a decent margin but no major milestone.

Anyone else thinking of trying this next - please do! I can believe that 6 hours can be broken, but it will take a stronger, better trained rider than me to do it, and you will need a windless and good circuit to stand a chance.

Big thanks to all who helped to make today possible, Croft circuit who let us use their track, Roger for helping to get this latest round of silliness into reality, and especially my wife Louise for feeding, watering, encouraging and having endless cheering-on capacity to keep me going.

Sam
Attached Images

Last edited by redwelly; 2015-07-09 at 08:47 PM.
redwelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
100, 2015, attempting, july, mile, record, world