Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-06-25, 04:29 AM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwelly View Post
We'll both be aiming to do it non-stop, but not sure whether we'll feel the urge to keep going another 6 miles to break my non-stop record set during my 24 hour record.
And that's an awfully long way to ride without a dismount also! My personal record is the Marathon race (42k) at Unicon XIV. My crotch was SO pissed off with me by about the 35km mark, but I wasn't going to stop at that point! I was on a borrowed uni.
Quote:
They don't suggest to me that they are familiar with or care very much about this record - it looks cut and pasted from rules for a track sprint (probably the 100m!).
I think you're right. The first two iterations of the Guinness 100m record were done on tracks (possibly the same track). The next (and current?) record was done on a non-track space in Las Vegas, specifically as a publicity event for a water park that no longer exists there. It's possible those details were written up for that record, which I think was done in 1991 or so.

The Fastest Contraption section uses the same basic timing rule used by the organization that tracked land speed records (for motorized vehicles) starting in the early 1900s. Timed over a set course, with the time averaged by runs in each direction, done within one hour.

A few years back, I remember hearing from Guinness that they would rather have some other, officially recognized unicycling body be in charge of the requirements for records. Many years after that, the IUF has created some standards. These are what Guinness will hopefully adopt in the future.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2015-06-25 at 04:30 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 03:45 PM   #17
redwelly
Sam Wakeling

Send a message via Skype™ to redwelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Well strictly speaking, reading the rules you've just posted it seems a geared up penguin with a single gear would be allowed. I'm tempted to think that it would even be allowed to use a "jackshaft" design - though as the rules appear to state a single chain you'd have to have a slightly torturous system involving idler wheels.
Yes! Though strictly speaking I have never seen any unicycle which would meet their requirement that it be made up of 'a single pole'. One-legged frame anyone?

Last edited by redwelly; 2015-06-25 at 03:46 PM.
redwelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 03:55 PM   #18
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Well, there are MTB forks that are 1-sided, why not...

Make the entire uni frame out of one single pole, and just have the seat bolts offset to the side to account for the wheel being offset to the pole. Don't ask me how to have a seat and a wheel jut out the side of a pole like that without serious strength issues though...
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 07:43 PM   #19
redwelly
Sam Wakeling

I had a test ride with an aero helmet today to check out how my aerobars position worked for it. Surprisingly well! I'll have to see how comfortable this will be for several hours. I suspect my back will hurt.

This is with a Shadow handlebar bracket, on the middle, level, setting and the drooping down T-bar attachment.

(This isn't on the track - I don't think there are any castles in the background there.)

P.S. Want to help us towards our target for WaterAid? Check out the JustGiving box on 100.samwakeling.com
Attached Images

Old 2015-06-25, 08:26 PM   #20
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

Awesome picture Sam!
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.uk.com
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 10:34 PM   #21
UPD
fail better.

Awesome pic. My earlier suspicion was right. But I couldnt confirm it until now, the uni frame is raked back when the long bar is installed straight out and you're riding in aero form.
Really aerodynamic, but yeah, your back or crotch would probably hurt, either way
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 11:33 PM   #22
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Pic is cool but riding in that position for 100 miles could do a nasty number on your back and neck!

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2015-06-25 at 11:35 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-26, 12:02 AM   #23
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
Pic is cool but riding in that position for 100 miles could do a nasty number on your back and neck!
2-wheeled TT cyclists can hold these positions all race (and some are even more extreme!) so there's no reason it won't be possible. Just means you'd have to do a serious amount of stretch/yoga-type exercises to get your body into the grooove.

How much do aerodynamics come into uni riding? I thought there was a sort of low cut-off speed where aero just isn't worth bothering with? Then again, if you're Schlumpf'ing (and also going for a world record speed) you're probably quite a bit over that speed
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-26, 12:37 AM   #24
UPD
fail better.

In that position it will cut through the wind more effectively and I'm nearly certain you will achieve higher speeds, in wind or no wind.

I dont think the angle is too excessive, but then again, I havent the chance to go for a hundred miles a day!
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-26, 04:17 AM   #25
YooNeeNoob
Unicyclist

Soooooo cool! Best of luck with the record attempt. Hope you make a video!
YooNeeNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-26, 04:41 AM   #26
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I also love the photo. I can use it to show people that riding with the Shadow Handle long and downward is the "cool" way to use it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPD View Post
My earlier suspicion was right. But I couldnt confirm it until now, the uni frame is raked back when the long bar is installed straight out and you're riding in aero form.
Those things are easy enough to estimate. If you can see where the rider's body will be when in the riding position, find the rider's center of mass, and draw a line from there through the center of the wheel. That's vertical. Compare frame angle to that.

While hard on the back and neck, having the frame raked to the rear probably improves the relationship between seat and crotch (more like a bike).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
2-wheeled TT cyclists can hold these positions all race (and some are even more extreme!) so there's no reason it won't be possible.
That's right. The main difference is the much longer duration of the ride. You definitely want to prepare for such a riding position if you aren't used to doing it for long distances. I always get a sore/tired neck on longer rides. And longer for me is anything over 30 miles or so...

I remember reading about the early years of the Race Across America (RAAM). Lots of early riders were affected by their neck muscles wearing out. I remember one early rider who's team built him a makeshift "head brace" to help hold his head up so he could keep going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
How much do aerodynamics come into uni riding? I thought there was a sort of low cut-off speed where aero just isn't worth bothering with?
It's probably more of a case of diminishing returns. For example, in 24" racing, I believed (early 1980s) that being aerodynamic would not be measurably faster for races of a mile and less. My riding posture for the Mile (1600m) race was to sit up very straight, to open up my chest and improve my ability to suck oxygen. That's 15 mph for a 4-minute mile, where my best was around 4:30.

100 miles in 6:44, the current record, is an average speed of 14.85 mph (sorry for the non-metric numbers; it's what I grew up with). At that speed, the benefits of being aero are probably minor, but much more meaningful over the course of many hours' riding, as opposed to my 4-5 minutes. A good tuck could make a difference of several minutes or more. And I imagine Sam will do as much of the ride as he can at a higher average speed.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-26, 09:54 AM   #27
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Are you using a bike saddle on that Sam? (don't think you mentioned it, but I've not been on here for ages so may have missed it). If you're riding in that bike-like position with handlebars then it would seem to make sense to use a proper saddle instead of a unicycle one - much better for the crotch.

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-26, 10:03 AM   #28
redwelly
Sam Wakeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.northcott View Post
Are you using a bike saddle on that Sam? (don't think you mentioned it, but I've not been on here for ages so may have missed it). If you're riding in that bike-like position with handlebars then it would seem to make sense to use a proper saddle instead of a unicycle one - much better for the crotch.
No, it's a unicycle saddle - an oldish plastic base which I flattened myself, with slimmed down foam.

My experiments with bike saddles were pretty unsuccessful and told me that unicycling needs more control from the crotch than a bike saddle can provide. With a flatter uni saddle the difference is less, but it still gives you the all-important wider front section which stops you sliding around and means you don't have to be always pushing yourself backwards to stay on a bike seat.

Using aerobars does wonders for saddle pain though. They let you move some weight onto your arms that a normal handlebar doesn't, and leaves a lot less pressure downwards in your crotch (also moving your weight back into your sit bones more like a bike, as you say). They're not often useful for normal road riding as there are too many bumps, hills etc which make you sit up off them to get better control, but for smooth, level track riding they are the thing.
Old 2015-06-26, 01:50 PM   #29
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Thanks Sam. Interesting - I haven't tried a bike saddle on a unicycle myself (never even got round to trying an extended handle on my 36er before I got rid of it), but I'd have guessed that the wide saddle front isn't needed if you've got handlebars to stop the uni slipping backwards - obviously that's not true in your experience.

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-26, 02:08 PM   #30
Rubberduck
Rubberduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwelly View Post
I had a test ride with an aero helmet today to check out how my aerobars position worked for it. Surprisingly well! I'll have to see how comfortable this will be for several hours. I suspect my back will hurt.

This is with a Shadow handlebar bracket, on the middle, level, setting and the drooping down T-bar attachment.

(This isn't on the track - I don't think there are any castles in the background there.)

P.S. Want to help us towards our target for WaterAid? Check out the JustGiving box on 100.samwakeling.com
Cool pic
But I would recommend to go with a "normal" helmet. This thing is on such a long ride not that benefit full. Instead you should wear a thight shirt. This is much more "bad"...
With 26km/h in average (if i am right!?) the aero helmet is more pain than gain...

Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet kann sie behalten
Who finds spelling errors may keep them
Rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
100, 2015, attempting, july, mile, record, world