Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-06-22, 04:36 AM   #16
Deke
Unicyclist

If you end up in the Medford/Ashland area, message me, if you want. I have only been riding a little over a month and neither of my Unis are suitable for mountain riding (nor myself), but the Bear Creek Greenway is a nice ride to give your legs a good workout. Of course, if I were an experienced mountain rider, I might not want to burden myself with a noob on a paved bike path either, but if you get the urge, the offer is open.

As a warning, I fell on the "hills" on that bike path a few times, averaged 6.3MPH on my last ride, and was pretty much wiped out after 10 miles, but with my current rate of progress, I should be much better by late July.

The Portland area is pretty much guaranteed to be a more inviting place, though, if you're "Weird" enough
Old 2015-06-26, 04:34 AM   #17
Monette
Unicyclist

Was looking forward to a ride yesterday but it seems you got side tracked. Hope you get hold of me for a ride while here in Portland.
Monette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 05:37 AM   #18
MUCFreerider
29" Muni/Downhill! (and 36" Muni)

So I got in a great (but short) ride with Monette at Mt Tabor on Tuesday. Great to meet you and ride! There aren't so many trails but we had fun on the steep ups and downs. Too bad I couldn't make it to Powell Butte.

After a mountain bike ride at Post Canyon today, I did about 6 miles of muni. It was dry and Post Canyon was great! There are just so many trails and I didn't get a chance to ride any of the advanced black diamond trails but the XC trails were great and I did bit of climbing and did great downhill. The steep switchbacks were very cool :-) I'm considering trying to do the new Mobias climbing trail some time...

Unfortunately I've had a little bit of pain and minor swelling in my knee for the last week (started after a big hike carrying lots of weight followed by a lot of muni climbing). Today's ride seems to have not made it worse though. Probably doing a mountain bike race on Saturday and then muni around Hood River again next week.
24" Koxx, Duro, Magura HS (gathering dust)
19" Trials Impact Athmos
MUCFreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 05:40 AM   #19
MUCFreerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke View Post
If you end up in the Medford/Ashland area, message me, if you want. I have only been riding a little over a month and neither of my Unis are suitable for mountain riding (nor myself), but the Bear Creek Greenway is a nice ride to give your legs a good workout. Of course, if I were an experienced mountain rider, I might not want to burden myself with a noob on a paved bike path either, but if you get the urge, the offer is open.

As a warning, I fell on the "hills" on that bike path a few times, averaged 6.3MPH on my last ride, and was pretty much wiped out after 10 miles, but with my current rate of progress, I should be much better by late July.

The Portland area is pretty much guaranteed to be a more inviting place, though, if you're "Weird" enough
On our current very rough agenda we should be traveling through that area around July 30th on our way from Crater Lake to the Southern Oregon Coast. Not sure if we will be able to stop though...

Thanks for the offer and if we end up there I will let you know.
19" Trials Impact Athmos
Old 2015-07-14, 06:43 AM   #20
MUCFreerider

Post Canyon

I did my second real muni ride in Post Canyon today! A few photos here:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...postcount=9814

Last week I did a great loop called 15 Mile which is 2800ft of descending followed by 2800ft ascending all on twisty singletrack! I rode all the down (with a few retries) and most of the uphill. Actually at the end I was wiped out and had to walk a fair bit.

A few days ago I spent some time on the skinnies and pump track at Family Man. Sadly most of my rides were solo so I have very few photos. I do have a few videos of me riding skinnies and I'll see if I can post them.

Anyone headed out to the Gorge in the next week? I'll be here through next Wednesday, July 22nd.
19" Trials Impact Athmos
Old 2015-07-14, 07:50 AM   #21
MUCFreerider

So they're nothing special, but I do have a few videos of me riding a not-so-high skinny at Family Man in Post Canyon:
https://vimeo.com/133423748
https://vimeo.com/133423750
19" Trials Impact Athmos
Old 2015-07-14, 02:57 PM   #22
bwrightback
UniBri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke View Post

I'm in Ashland/Medford!!! Let's ride!! PM me!
bwrightback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-15, 01:52 AM   #23
Monette
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCFreerider View Post
So I got in a great (but short) ride with Monette at Mt Tabor on Tuesday. Great to meet you and ride! There aren't so many trails but we had fun on the steep ups and downs. Too bad I couldn't make it to Powell Butte.

After a mountain bike ride at Post Canyon today, I did about 6 miles of muni. It was dry and Post Canyon was great! There are just so many trails and I didn't get a chance to ride any of the advanced black diamond trails but the XC trails were great and I did bit of climbing and did great downhill. The steep switchbacks were very cool :-) I'm considering trying to do the new Mobias climbing trail some time...

Unfortunately I've had a little bit of pain and minor swelling in my knee for the last week (started after a big hike carrying lots of weight followed by a lot of muni climbing). Today's ride seems to have not made it worse though. Probably doing a mountain bike race on Saturday and then muni around Hood River again next week.
Thanks for inviting me to ride. It was unusual to be available on a Tuesday like that. Riding with anyone, let alone a skilled rider like yourself, is a treat for me. I am trying to find a way to the Seattle weekend rides on that first weekend next month. If you attend, maybe we will ride again.
Monette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-19, 07:14 AM   #24
MUCFreerider

Post Canyon!

Well, only 3 1/2 days left in Hood River...

I got in another awesome muni ride in Post Canyon today: exhausting 4 1/2 hours at near 100F!

As this was about my 4th muni ride there (plus about 3 mtb rides) I'm getting used to the trails. Today I was concentrating on skills:
  • going faster downhill! (some progress)
  • turning sharp corners in switchbacks going fast downhill (lots of success!!)
  • drops (did about 5 different 2ft drops!)
  • jumping off roots and ledges

I really feel like I am improving, although it is sometimes a little disheartening to see how much slower I am than the mountain bikes. As today was Saturday there were a lot of riders, and abut the only ones I passed were under 12 years of age.

I'm really happy about the drops and the at-speed switchback cornering (previously I had been going very slowly and pivoting or sometimes even hopping). The drops were awesome as I first did the 3 small drops at the top of Middle School with no problems. Then on 2 other 2ft drops I just decided to try it and had 2-3 failed attempts followed by 2-3 consecutive successful drops!

I did have my first hard crash in a while: as I was trying to go fast downhill and jump off some root ledges during a rooty section I somehow messed up and the front wheel suddenly stopped behind a root and I flew forward and landed on my chest/knee/elbow/hand. Yesterday I had just added elbow pads and I am quite glad. I hit pretty hard, but the armor worked pretty well: I have a very small bruise on the near-thumb part of my palm, plus slight bruises on my right knee and elbows. It was near the top of my big descent and I got back on proceeded to have a great downhill run (and before the second drop practice), so I am also glad that I didn't let it get to my head.

As I've been riding so much by myself, I'm really looking forward to the Seattle Muni weekend in 3 weeks!

Again I only have photos of my unicycle next to drops, but none of me riding. Tomorrow is a mtb ride. Hopefully I can get in one more muni ride (I was hoping to do "Little Moab" but haven't had the time).
19" Trials Impact Athmos

Tags
hood, july, oregon, river