Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-04-23, 12:29 PM   #16
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unitardis View Post
I just got a 36 a month ago and I have to tell you that the thing is a hoot, much more fun than I thought it would be.
The top speed of a 36 is awesome but after several months on my 36 I realised I was slogging it. Lower cadence on longer cranks. Where I ride mostly on footpaths it wasn't that much faster than my 29 because I couldn't get up some of the hills. Bending flat to get under overhanging trees also slowed me down.

I started hankering for a small light wheel for a change and to get back into high cadence. So my favourite ride at the moment is my 26 with a Maxxis DTH foldable bead tyre and 114 Venture cranks. It only weighs 5 kg and feels like the uni equivalent of a sports car.

Variety is good.
Old 2018-04-23, 05:12 PM   #17
Unitardis
One Wheeled Escape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
...to get back into high cadence.
Approaching your spin limit on the 36er courts heavy consequences for sure. Knock on wood!

You can probably exceed run-out speed on your uni-ferrari too but the consequences won't be so extreme so there's wisdom in that. Maybe I'll put a slick and shorties on the 29r...
Unitardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-23, 07:12 PM   #18
Pierluc
Unicyclist

Is a king George a good tire ? Considering how often I will ride the tire might last a lifetime. I can get a great price on the qu-ax and that's the tire on it.
Pierluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-23, 09:23 PM   #19
rich
Unicyclist

I've never ridden a King George, only an original Nightrider. Having read all the comments recently about the new lighter Nightrider, I wouldn't consider buying a new 36er with anything else. Have a look at this thread.

UDC UK lists the Nightrider Lite as being cheaper than the King George too?!? Shame it isn't in stock, and shame it might not be the best fit for my older Stealth rim.

That said; there are relatively few options and they are all pretty good. The King George isn't the newest, lightest or most popular despite apparently being the most expensive.

Last edited by rich; 2018-04-23 at 09:26 PM.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-23, 11:06 PM   #20
Thumper uni
Unicyclist

The King George runs quite and smooth and will last a long time would I pay more than a night rider no , I am unsure of the new light version as I love the big heavy wheel feel on the flat sections but understand the benefits.
Old 2018-04-24, 03:02 AM   #21
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierluc View Post
Im unsure about the king george tire and q-axle hub on the qu-ax.
King George is the tire that's more geared toward off-roading, but I'm told it runs fine on pavement as well. I have one, but haven't tried to wrassle it onto my old Coker's Aero rim yet. That would turn it into a sort-of 36" Muni...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierluc
how is the Nimbus gel saddle compare to a kh fusion one?
I have older versions of the Nimbus Gel and they're great. If you don't ride a lot of miles, consistently, I'd go for not Fusion. That's just based on my own experience, but the Fusion is for the serious rider of lots of kilometers/miles. And is better with a handlebar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierluc
what are your though ?
I'm going to tend to agree with Leeway, who said to allow looks to count as part of your decision. But I am not going to attempt to say which one looks better!

I did find it interesting that more than one person above said they specifically wanted a unicycle that wasn't blue. I feel ya. I was tired of blue when all Miyatas came in blue (except the yellow 16-inchers), and everything Tom Miller (The Unicycle Factory) made was almost the same shade of blue as today's KH unis! Don't get me wrong, I have two KH unis now, and ride them more than all the others combined....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoeheadted View Post
I tried the Zero when it came with my KH29 but that didn't last.
What didn't last, the KH29, the saddle, or your crotch? I feel your pain. The One was a big improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeway283 View Post
As far as the T-bar goes, I’d recommend waiting a few months until you’re used to the 36er.
That's also good advice. Get comfortable riding, mounting and dismounting first, before adding that next level of complexity.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2018-04-24 at 03:03 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 08:09 AM   #22
pierrox
Unicyclist

The Nimbus gel is not a bad saddle, and some people swear by it. It's much more curved than a KH Freeride (and waaayyyy more than a Fusion).
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 08:33 AM   #23
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
The Nimbus gel is not a bad saddle
You can have mine if you like

When it comes to saddles, beauty is in the rear end of the beholder. Your really just need to try them out to see if they’re going to suit you.
Old 2018-04-24, 11:03 AM   #24
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
The Nimbus gel is not a bad saddle, and some people swear by it. It's much more curved than a KH Freeride (and waaayyyy more than a Fusion).
With the Nimbus Gel it depends on whether the rider happens to be the same shape as the saddle. It they match it is a great saddle.
Old 2018-04-24, 11:16 AM   #25
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unitardis View Post
Approaching your spin limit on the 36er courts heavy consequences for sure. Knock on wood!

You can probably exceed run-out speed on your uni-ferrari too but the consequences won't be so extreme so there's wisdom in that. Maybe I'll put a slick and shorties on the 29r...
I've slid down the tarmac at over 20 kph from both the 26 and the 36. With sliders it is not the speed that matters but how fast you stop.

The 36 is a little bit further from the road but it you are going fast there is plenty of horizontal velocity. My worst fall was straight down from a 20. That sudden stop.

I rider smaller wheels mainly to build my cadence. I also ride a 20 inch with 100 mm cranks down sloping footpaths to feel the foot speed then try to transfer it to bigger wheels. At least with a 20 I can run out of anything.

The 26 is scary enough to be stimulating, making me take the ground speed seriously enough to focus properly.
Old 2018-04-24, 09:38 PM   #26
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
You can have mine if you like
I didn't say it's a good saddle!
I replaced mine with a Stadium which I much preferred. But as you said, to each his own bum!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-25, 08:18 PM   #27
Pierluc
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper uni View Post
The qu/ax frame will flex under max torque and touch the caliper mount bolt on the rotor there is only about 1 mm clearance but only happens occasionally, if you can wait for a udc sale you will save $ on a nimbus.
seems to be 100mm bearing spacing with internal disc brake, must be weak for a 36 inch wheel ? The unicycle looks great other than that
Pierluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-25, 08:44 PM   #28
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
seems to be 100mm bearing spacing with internal disc brake, must be weak for a 36 inch wheel ? The unicycle looks great other than that
It will be frame flex, not wheel flex. As the rotor is mounted to the hub wheel flex will not cause it to move.
Old 2018-04-25, 10:34 PM   #29
rich
Unicyclist

Quote:
Is it really?! I'd avoid the Qu-Ax altogether then. Especially if Thumper uni thinks there's a frame flex issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
It will be frame flex, not wheel flex. As the rotor is mounted to the hub wheel flex will not cause it to move.
It isn't frame flex that Pierluc was worried about when the hub was mentioned, it's the requirement to dish the wheel to make room for the disc within the 100mm spacing of the hub. Two problems then (but frame flex is a separate one)!

There will be asymmetric tension between the spokes on each side. This is fine on a smaller wheel but on such a big rim it's going to be easier to lose tension on the non-disc (lower tension) side under high radial loads.
For a unicycle versus a bike the lateral strength of the wheel is also more important and a narrower hub gives you less of this.

External disc 100mm hub or internal disc 125mm hub for me, certainly on a 36er. Is this perhaps why there's no Qu-Ax RGB 36er?

Last edited by rich; 2018-04-25 at 10:42 PM.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-25, 11:12 PM   #30
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Is it really?! I'd avoid the Qu-Ax altogether then. Especially if Thumper uni thinks there's a frame flex issue.

It isn't frame flex that Pierluc was worried about when the hub was mentioned, it's the requirement to dish the wheel to make room for the disc within the 100mm spacing of the hub. Two problems then (but frame flex is a separate one)!
My bad, I misread the quote/response. Yes, I believe that the Qu-Ax 36ers are 100mm asymmetric wheels. That always looked a bit too narrow to me, but maybe in the real world they're ok.

Tags
36er