Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 2010-03-04, 07:48 PM   #46
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

Hmmm... I haven't thought of removing my HS33 from my muni to install a disk yet, but it's going on the Nightrider as soon as I get some Sinz 125s and a mount made! Big wheel, small cranks = need for precise braking... when it's time to test durability I can set up the Muni and hit Middlesex fellsway or Lynn Woods, and Jeff can take it to Highlands... all granite meat griders to see how it lives up to a beating.
kb1jki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-04, 08:25 PM   #47
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunicycle View Post
Murphy's law is that any exposed edge like the disc (doesn't even need to be sharp or sticking out too far, got the scars...) is going to end up making contact with your body during a crash. Sorry, not a fan of the outboard disc for MUni for that reason alone.

I agree also re too prone to damaging the disc.

HS33's do a good job on both counts - no risk of injuring rider during UPD, and unlikely to get damaged during UPD.
I have to disagree about Maguras not getting damaged in UPDs. At last California MUni Weekend there were at least four Magura failures, and probably fewer than 20 people were using them. They fail all the time. Now, mostly what fails is the hydraulics, but that's why you shouldn't be running hydraulics. We run hydraulics on MUnis because V-brakes won't fit over 3" tires; a disk brake solves that issue.

I would be concerned about achilles slicing, though. I have definitely gotten my foot caught between the crank and the wheel.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 02:58 AM   #48
Mountainuni1
Unicyclist

Send a message via Yahoo to Mountainuni1
Lower leg injuries minimized with armor

I don't want to speak for other off road UNI-er's but I always wear at least neoprene shin pads for Urban rides and KH Leg Armour for aggressive Muni. I would not suggest an aggressive off road ride with our disc without lower leg protection. In fact, I'll have it in the disclaimer for purchase.

Thanks for the back up Tholub, and we're looking toward a CA Big wheel rider to use this on the downhill descents and see the smooth consistent modulation with this set up. I have used Magura exclusively on 3 uni's prior, and am convinced the upgrade is significant.
Mountainuni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 04:15 AM   #49
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

Q

KH Moment cranks come out at 20.3 cm outside to outside as compared to the Sinz Expert measuring 20.4 cm! not bad.
Attached Images

Old 2010-03-05, 10:07 AM   #50
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1jki View Post
KH Moment cranks come out at 20.3 cm outside to outside as compared to the Sinz Expert measuring 20.4 cm! not bad.
That's surprising (but good).

Rob

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 01:52 PM   #51
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

from the inside...
Attached Images

Old 2010-03-08, 06:04 PM   #52
Mountainuni1
Unicyclist

Send a message via Yahoo to Mountainuni1
Test Bed group identified

We have identified out test bed group, and will be making arrangements with these uni forum members to test out the disc brake system soon. Hoping to have product out to them with 2 weeks, understanding that it's still winter, and snow rides sometimes are reserved for the heartiest of souls.

We'll be able to report back our findings and next steps as we move through this process. A lot of riders have inquired about timelines for production, and we're hopeful for a May end of Month to take orders. If we have any updates, we'll be sure to keep the fourm informed.

Thanks for all of the interest in participating in the demo!

Best,
Jeff// Mountainuni
Mountainuni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 09:00 PM   #53
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.northcott View Post
I would think the main problem with that would be that the Schlumpf ISIS axle has no stop for the crank, and apparently because of its design it can't use a spacer as a crank stop like other ISIS uni hubs,
Rob
Thanx for pointing this out... the Schlumpf is what I was hoping to use with this system. looks like the c-clip would be hit by a crank stop... this will be trial and error with that hub. Hmmm...
Old 2010-03-10, 01:17 AM   #54
jtrops
Unicyclist

How are you planning on selling this? Will you have options for just the rotor/mount, rotor with crankset, crankset and caliper?

Another thing I was wondering is whether or not you could make a mount for the Nightrider that would bolt on to the gusset? It seems like you could drill one more hole and use the existing hole to get a fairly secure connection. I have a friend who is a wizard with a torch, and so welding won't be a problem, but it would be nice to be able to mount without welding.
Old 2010-03-10, 03:56 AM   #55
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

The machinist gets back on the 15th, and we'll be discussing clamp on mounts, But I am not sure if that's the way to go given forces involved... have to test it out. I will also be fabricating a mount for the nightrider soon.

I would like to sell the rotor and mount as a stand alone, and also bundled with a sinz crank of the size and spindle type of your choice. Jeff and his web team are diligently getting the site updated for ecommerse and it looks like we may be kinda ready for orders end of May.

We have a few guys selected for testing out the disk, and if all goes well maybe we can get some manufacturers' interest, so the mounts will already be on frames in the future! We'll see!

The exposure in this forum has put the project in front of a lot of eyes, and some real industry leaders with lots of insight. This is gaining legs very rapidly.
Old 2010-03-10, 05:19 AM   #56
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
How are you planning on selling this? Will you have options for just the rotor/mount, rotor with crankset, crankset and caliper?

Another thing I was wondering is whether or not you could make a mount for the Nightrider that would bolt on to the gusset? It seems like you could drill one more hole and use the existing hole to get a fairly secure connection. I have a friend who is a wizard with a torch, and so welding won't be a problem, but it would be nice to be able to mount without welding.
I agree with jtrops. If we could drill and bolt to add the brake mount it would be a much simpler job than welding. For example, I would not the to strip the frame and then repaint it.
scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 01:26 AM   #57
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Am I the only one here excited about this?

So who did you pick for the test group?

I take it you are not expecting any issues to come up in the testing, May seems like a really short time for testing and development.

Best of luck. I really do hope this takes off.

ERIC
Old 2010-03-13, 02:24 AM   #58
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Am I the only one here excited about this?

So who did you pick for the test group?

I take it you are not expecting any issues to come up in the testing, May seems like a really short time for testing and development.

Best of luck. I really do hope this takes off.

ERIC
I'm pretty excited about it. I was coming up with my own plans for building something similar, but at this point I'm waiting for theirs. It is a slick way of handling it, and if the Sinz cranks can handle multiple pedal mounts that would be even better.
Old 2010-03-16, 09:17 PM   #59
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

Looks like we have a design for a universal bolt on mount for Steel and Aluminum rigs, even the nimbus Nightrider frames! I have no idea how long for production...
Old 2010-03-17, 12:15 AM   #60
lobbybopster
Unicyclist

Excited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Am I the only one here excited about this?ERIC
Already have mine, Discs modulate better than rim brakes, are mechanically better for the spokes, they utilize all spokes equal torque on braking. Definately superior to a Magura rim brake, Good job!

One suggestion on geared hubs. If you brake through(attached to crank) the gearing, it puts alot of stress on the gears,you would be using the gears to take up all the braking weight. If you brake at the hub it stops the wheel no gearing involved, and at the price of a geared hub, more undue stress through the gearing could have expensive/catastrophic results.
Attached Images

lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arrived, brakes, disc, mountainuni, mumpitz