Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2019-06-20, 06:01 PM   #8161
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
...If I were to practice, I can almost juggle six balls. I could occasionally flash them. So I count that as five and a half.
Wow John, that is impressive! Flashing on a unicycle sounds tricky; I think I'd get tangled in my pants.

I have a hard enough time giving high-fives.
Old 2019-06-21, 01:43 PM   #8162
aj1500
Unicyclist

this is not a comment but more of an action by a non rider
while riding the other day around the bike trail at the park, (this path is around a lake and is then surrounded by a disc golf coarse) I have been working on learning some new to me moves and in that I bring the uni to an almost stop then rapidly twist back and forth while very slowly moving forward
kind of like doing a slalom with cones about 6 inches apart and leaning very hard to each side as I do it. Well I had been doing this off and on and had my music going, I was getting into a groove and was moving my arms to the music and I look up and see a group of guys setting up to tee off
one of them looks right at me then playfully raises his arms and does the whole orangutan swinging arms and rubber legs thing. I almost fell off laughing at him, I guess that must be what I was doing looked like to him
Old 2019-06-21, 02:54 PM   #8163
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1500 View Post
this is not a comment but more of an action by a non rider
while riding the other day around the bike trail at the park, (this path is around a lake and is then surrounded by a disc golf coarse) I have been working on learning some new to me moves and in that I bring the uni to an almost stop then rapidly twist back and forth while very slowly moving forward
kind of like doing a slalom with cones about 6 inches apart and leaning very hard to each side as I do it. Well I had been doing this off and on and had my music going, I was getting into a groove and was moving my arms to the music and I look up and see a group of guys setting up to tee off
one of them looks right at me then playfully raises his arms and does the whole orangutan swinging arms and rubber legs thing. I almost fell off laughing at him, I guess that must be what I was doing looked like to him
Have someone take a vid of you doing that and put it on youtube, so we all can laugh
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-21, 11:25 PM   #8164
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

I was riding up the footpath (sidewalk) on the main street of town one night recently. It is generally almost deserted at that time ofnight but this time an elderly couple were walking in the opposite direction. I moved to the left (as we do in Oz) and slowed right down waiting for them to get past the sandwich boards outside the pub.

The old bloke stops at the sandwich board and heroically pushes his wife into my path to make sure I can't get past. I could see there was going to be confrontation so I dismounted. One of those times I really wished I could idle.

"It's a footpath not a circus" he says, "It's not for bikes."

I replied with "It's not a bike and I'm perfectly entitled to ride on the footpath."

"The footpath is for pedestrians." Wife suggests to him to "Let it go".

"I am a pedestrian on this, a pedestrian operating a wheeled recreational device. I'm not even allowed to ride it out there.", pointing to the street with marked lanes meaning I can't legally ride there, especially at night.

"I don't care, you tried to run us over"

"I have to give way to pedestrians, that is what I did."

Wife in a conciliatory tone, "We didn't know it wasn't a bike."

He goes into the pub and tells the barmaid to call the police. (The bar is like two metres inside the door.)

She pointed over the road and said, "They are in the station now".

I suggested, "Oh good, let's go over there now and sort this out."

Cranky old man goes to his car with his clearly long suffering wife.
Old 2019-06-22, 08:29 AM   #8165
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
I replied with "It's not a bike and I'm perfectly entitled to ride on the footpath."

"I am a pedestrian on this, a pedestrian operating a wheeled recreational device. I'm not even allowed to ride it out there.", pointing to the street with marked lanes meaning I can't legally ride there, especially at night.

"I have to give way to pedestrians, that is what I did."
Well done! I've had that exact conversation ready in my head and wondering when the time would come. Like you, I probably one of the few that have actually read and know the local NSW road rules regarding unicycles. Can't imaging your old friend had, or would have even cared. Well done for doing the right thing, and for the calm and stoic manner in which the confrontation was handled.

However in your pub loitering friend's defense, he was actually aware of his surroundings, looking where he was going and took action. That's even more rare....
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-23, 03:30 AM   #8166
Monette
Unicyclist

Two gents about my age paused and watched me. One gave me the thumbs up and said, "way to go". The other said, " four wheeling on one wheel, yea".
Monette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-23, 02:12 PM   #8167
trepper687
Doin' my thang

So to preface this, I live in a small ski town in Colorado. The ski resort, purgatory, opens up in the summer for lift access,downhill mountain biking, or in my case unicycling. They also offer a variety of summer activities catered towards families.

In between runs i was having a beer at the bar at the base of the mountain with my unicycle being on the bike rack, ie not with me. Some lady says "were you riding a unicycle up tgere? We were driving near the trails and my kids saw you but i missed you. But mynkids described you really,well." I was really surprised to be recognized without the unicycle especially by somebody who had to rely on the desceiption of young children.

And some,other guy at the bar was picking,my brain for awhile. Most ofbthe conversation was pretty normal, but at one point he said "look at all of these pussies out here on bikes"

Everybody else out there was really geared up. Ling sleeves, riding pants the works. It was a really cold day and they needed to keep warm. I was out there in shorts and a t shirt. When i was talking to that guy at the bar, we got on the topic of how intense of a workout it is. The bartender, not a part of the conversation, chimes in with "youre probably the warmest guy on the mountain".
Old 2019-06-24, 05:54 AM   #8168
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Yesterday on the Clementine Loop, Auburn, CA with Robert Allen. Tons of hikers on the lower part of the ride (the Clementine Trail). Most comments were typical and all were friendly. My favorite was a husband, who said to his wife "Look, thats ...... ". I didn't get to see his face at the time, but I imagined him coming up with various things, and maybe thinking I've probably heard it before. It could have happened...

Meanwhile, his wife simply offers "You're a rock star!" That's a win.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-24, 02:27 PM   #8169
bradahj
Fail 'Til You Succeed

Barking Dog

My son and I were riding down our street...... 200 feet ahead a large dog starting barking at us. The owner began yelling loudly for the dog to get back.... as we approached the owner said,

"Sorry about that, he's not used to one wheel."
bradahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-24, 04:42 PM   #8170
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradahj View Post
I get that a lot. And it's probably true.
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-25, 06:17 AM   #8171
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradahj View Post
Dogs seem to respond differently to unicycles than to bicycles. While dogs in general are primarily nose-driven, it's probably not the way we smell. I think they see a different type of movement by a unicyclist compared to a bicyclist, or maybe just a different shape. So we seem to get the attention of many a dog.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-25, 08:37 AM   #8172
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Dogs seem to respond differently to unicycles than to bicycles. While dogs in general are primarily nose-driven, it's probably not the way we smell. I think they see a different type of movement by a unicyclist compared to a bicyclist, or maybe just a different shape. So we seem to get the attention of many a dog.
There's a dog in my neighborhood that barely looks at me when I'm riding my unicycle but barks like crazy if I'm pushing it along while walking.
He's clearly barking at the wheel, not at me. That's one confused dog. The wheel superbly ignoring him instead of barking back seems to greatly infuriate him.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-25, 09:37 AM   #8173
BruceC
Unicyclist

Speaking of dogs, one of the nicest places I ride is also the one full of obnoxious people who just won't think of others and share the path.

One day a man walking dog with no lead is coming my way. I've got no idea where the dog will go, but dogs are cool so I'm careful, however the man is just not looking (or caring about his dog or other's safety).

Up closer and it looks like dog and unicycle will miss, then the man says "How about a handle bar", not sure if it was attempt at humor or aggravation.

All I could say back was "how about a dog lead". Unsure if my comment was heard, but am sure it would make no difference.

Some dogs just have a***hole owners.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-26, 10:51 AM   #8174
Setonix
Unicyclist

Most of the time dogs are no problem but as soon as the owners call them they walk in front of my wheel not seeing me and not caring. Then I step off.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-26, 12:10 PM   #8175
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Years ago my main route had a really tricky (at that time) section where two small dogs would run out barking.

One day I really had had enough and I ran at them barking and growling fiercely. The alpha dog immediately started attacking the other dog.

Next time I rode by, the smaller dog started running towards me barking and the alpha dog attacked it again. Those dogs have never been a problem since.

It seems sometimes you just have to speak their language.

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle