Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Latest Unicycling News! > News and Announcements

View Poll Results: Do you (realistically) expect to attend Munifest Destiny 2012: Albuquerque?
I want to attend, but have to miss it this year. 7 23.33%
I definitely plan to attend Munifest Destiny! 23 76.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-09-07, 12:49 AM   #61
Nurse Ben
XC Muni
 
Nurse Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Cascades, USA
Age: 52
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
So for a MUni dude like me, should I bring the 24" or 29er? What would Josh S. ride?
24's are for little girls, time to man up, he he he

Bring a 36er, we'll show these girlie boys what's what

Well I was hoping the Surly Knard would be out by then, but with less than a month to go I think I'm SOL. I'm bring the 29er, 32/36, and maybe the Oregon.

I have an ultimate wheel coming this week, any chance there will be a steep single track ride where we can use the UW?
__________________
I dream of hamsters and elderberries
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 07:43 PM   #62
eyal
Unicycologist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 198
Hi folks. We're officially just 4 weeks away from Munifest Destiny! Meanwhile, a comment and a question for all:

1. I will re-emphasize an earlier comment by Elliott: 36 inchers are a BAD idea on these trails. When I described them as intermediate trails, I meant intermediate for a traditional muni sized wheel (24" or 26"). A 29" might be nice for Sunday and manageable on Saturday, but definitely no bigger than that. Friday's ride has recently gotten more technically rough since our last storms, so expect a whole lot of loose babyheads on that day.

2. If you haven't already, can you please let me know when you'll be arriving? For those coming in on Thurs, I'd like to arrange a meet up.

3. If you haven't signed the poll yet, please do so, so I can get a proper head count.

Can't wait to see you guys!
eyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 10:18 PM   #63
uniShark
muni commuter
 
uniShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missoula, MT, USA
Age: 46
Posts: 1,365
I'm driving from Moab on Thursday. Thursday p.m. get together might be a possibility, depending on where, when, and how quickly I can get on the road with my family that morning.

My muni is a 29, so that's what I'll bring. I won't blame you if (read: when) I need to walk.



P.S.: You do realize that saying "definitely no bigger than" 29 probably locks in Ben showing up on his 36, right?
__________________
My 29er is my little wheel. Roll it, baby!

pLs forgve anu typist imak win positing forum my fone.

Last edited by uniShark; 2012-09-07 at 10:25 PM.
uniShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 07:32 AM   #64
tholub
Totally Doable
 
tholub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Berkeley, CA
Age: 49
Posts: 3,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyal View Post
Hi folks. We're officially just 4 weeks away from Munifest Destiny! Meanwhile, a comment and a question for all:

1. I will re-emphasize an earlier comment by Elliott: 36 inchers are a BAD idea on these trails. When I described them as intermediate trails, I meant intermediate for a traditional muni sized wheel (24" or 26"). A 29" might be nice for Sunday and manageable on Saturday, but definitely no bigger than that. Friday's ride has recently gotten more technically rough since our last storms, so expect a whole lot of loose babyheads on that day.

2. If you haven't already, can you please let me know when you'll be arriving? For those coming in on Thurs, I'd like to arrange a meet up.

3. If you haven't signed the poll yet, please do so, so I can get a proper head count.

Can't wait to see you guys!
I'm coming in on Thursday, meeting up with (at least) Carol Bricker at the airport; her flight gets at 7:10. We're staying with the Minnesotans out in Cedar Crest on the other side of the Sandias.

Sounds like I should bring the 24. The degree to which the 29 is more fun on easy trails is less than the degree to which the 24 is more fun on difficult trails. Hmm, maybe I should take my cranks off and anti-seize them to get them to stop creaking, like I meant to do before Moab this year...
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 02:11 AM   #65
eyal
Unicycologist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 198
Ok, then for those of you coming in Thurs, I have an idea for a meet up location. My good friend (who happens to be a nano-science phd student and brews his own beer) hosts a popular monthly beer tasting event at his house where you can relax, mingle, listen to live music, and sample unique commercial and home made beers on a purely donation basis. It's a fun time even for someone like me who doesn't really care for beer. It's also kid friendly. So barring any objections, why don't we meet there between 7pm-9pm.

Address here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Be...74527022613885

PM me if you'd like my cell number.
eyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 04:22 AM   #66
Tucson Uni
Andy
 
Tucson Uni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Age: 53
Posts: 599
Bringing my KH24 for sure. Thinking about bringing my 24 guni too.
__________________
http://www.tucsonuni.com
Tucson Uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 09:24 PM   #67
Nurse Ben
XC Muni
 
Nurse Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Cascades, USA
Age: 52
Posts: 4,644
Thursday night beer tasting, my wife will be sooooo jealous, and me being a teetotaler... well at least someome won't be sporting a head ache on the Friday morning ride

Quote:
P.S.: You do realize that saying "definitely no bigger than" 29 probably locks in Ben showing up on his 36, right?
I'm bringing the big wheel, yup, I'll show you small wheel people whats what! I'll also have a 32" with me just in case I need a smaller wheel for trials

I'm hoping my wife flies into NM for a long weekend, still working on her, though beer would be one way to help her decide
__________________
I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-09-15 at 09:24 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 07:52 PM   #68
phlegm
Unicyclist
 
phlegm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: East Bay, California
Age: 42
Posts: 2,507
Hi all, I have a flight arriving at Albuquerque at 9:50 am on Friday, 10/5. I'm planning to stay east of town with others, but it's out of the way for them to pick me up on Friday morning before the ride. So I'm looking for a ride from the airport (after 9:50 am) to the start of Friday's ride. Can anyone help me out?
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 08:50 PM   #69
Nurse Ben
XC Muni
 
Nurse Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Cascades, USA
Age: 52
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
So I'm looking for a ride from the airport (after 9:50 am) to the start of Friday's ride. Can anyone help me out?
I'll be in town Thursday night, so Friday am is no problem, but we have a ride at 12:30 so as long as you're okay to go straight to the ride site; you can put the muni together when get there

Call me on my cell if you need a ride.

eight six five, four eight three, eight seven three five
__________________
I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-09-20 at 08:50 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 02:15 AM   #70
eyal
Unicycologist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 198
Unicyclists and Gentlemen,

We're now just 12 days away from Munifest destiny! It's gonna be a great one, and it's not too late to join us. Go to http://www.nmuni.com for details, and post any lingering questions in this thread.

There's no registration fee. Just please accept our recommendation to purchase a Unicycling Society membership which includes individual sports insurance.

Can't wait to rip it up with you!
eyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 03:14 AM   #71
Tucson Uni
Andy
 
Tucson Uni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Age: 53
Posts: 599
Yes! Looking forward to some fun hitting the trails with lots of awesome riders. Travel plans are in place for me and my family. They will be taking in the Balloon Fest while I am having some muni-fun, then off to Santa Fe and Taos for the rest of the week. Can't wait to see how Nurse Ben fairs in the Southwest on his Big Wheel.
__________________
http://www.tucsonuni.com

Last edited by Tucson Uni; 2012-09-24 at 03:14 AM.
Tucson Uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 12:19 PM   #72
Nurse Ben
XC Muni
 
Nurse Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Cascades, USA
Age: 52
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
Can't wait to see how Nurse Ben fairs in the Southwest on his Big Wheel.
Hmmm, maybe some of you smooth trail riders should come out to the East, where trail grading was done with pack mules.

I bring the 36 and 32, plus 29 for muni
__________________
I dream of hamsters and elderberries
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 02:00 PM   #73
ABQnmuni
Just a guy
 
ABQnmuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Age: 28
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Hmmm, maybe some of you smooth trail riders should come out to the East, where trail grading was done with pack mules.

I bring the 36 and 32, plus 29 for muni
I want to stress again how any wheel larger than a 26" is a bad idea on these trails.

These trails are far from smooth. While not technically part of the Rocky Mountains there is a reason for their name. Friday, traction will be an issue, we have loose baby head sized rocks on top of loose dust. This trail is also steep, sections have left us (on 165mm cranks and 24" wheels) bailing. Saturday and sundry the trails are more firm but are you by no means out of the woods yet. Saturday contains sections of trail that contains limestone spires that about about 4" high and a couple of inches apart. Combine that with random rocks that jut into the trial. Also the trials are much skinnier. Sunday you will find more loose rocks, smooth tight sections, and slabs of rocks (similar to slick rock but is is limestone so it is actually slick). There will be a fair number of natural skinnies to ride.

I have ridden in around Knoxville, Tennessee and while the trials were fun, their technical sections were lacking compared to what you will find out here.

Please, we want everyone to have fun. Bring one smaller unicycle and forgo one of the 30+" wheels. Try the smaller wheel and if you deem that your trails are good on larger unicycles, then by all means ride a bigger uni.
ABQnmuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 02:04 PM   #74
ABQnmuni
Just a guy
 
ABQnmuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Age: 28
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
Hi all, I have a flight arriving at Albuquerque at 9:50 am on Friday, 10/5. I'm planning to stay east of town with others, but it's out of the way for them to pick me up on Friday morning before the ride. So I'm looking for a ride from the airport (after 9:50 am) to the start of Friday's ride. Can anyone help me out?
That should be no problem, both of the organizers will be around the airport on Friday. We can certainly assembly uni's for those of you who flew.
ABQnmuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 05:22 PM   #75
uniShark
muni commuter
 
uniShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missoula, MT, USA
Age: 46
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyal View Post
The ride itinerary / trail conditions will have broad appeal...

Steepness level: Knowing my muni heritage, there will be much more downhill than uphill. However, the ABQ area really doesn't have very steep trails, and so a brake is absolutely not necessary for people with more-or-less healthy knees.

Technicality: Anyone with a little off-road experience should have no problem finding a route on most of the trails. More experienced riders will also get to enjoy some interesting rock formations. Obviously, not everyone will be able to ride every section, but it shouldn't stop a 12 year old relative newbie from attending. The hardest section for newbies will probably be the first mile of Cedro Peak's Power Lines trail (probably Friday), which has a lot of loose "golf balls." There will also be a very short section (1/8 mile?) called Balsam Glade that only a few rock stars will be able to complete, but the rest of us can easily ride around this kind of stuff. Also, the photo I posted may be a bit misleading. All the trails we will ride will actually be legitimate trails. The only possible exception will be during the trails comp. If we end up going with a natural trials comp, we won't be far from that boulder section. However, we are considering a man-made trials comp instead - details later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQnmuni View Post
I want to stress again how any wheel larger than a 26" is a bad idea on these trails.

These trails are far from smooth. While not technically part of the Rocky Mountains there is a reason for their name. Friday, traction will be an issue, we have loose baby head sized rocks on top of loose dust. This trail is also steep, sections have left us (on 165mm cranks and 24" wheels) bailing. Saturday and sundry the trails are more firm but are you by no means out of the woods yet. Saturday contains sections of trail that contains limestone spires that about about 4" high and a couple of inches apart. Combine that with random rocks that jut into the trial. Also the trials are much skinnier. Sunday you will find more loose rocks, smooth tight sections, and slabs of rocks (similar to slick rock but is is limestone so it is actually slick). There will be a fair number of natural skinnies to ride.

I have ridden in around Knoxville, Tennessee and while the trials were fun, their technical sections were lacking compared to what you will find out here.

Please, we want everyone to have fun. Bring one smaller unicycle and forgo one of the 30+" wheels. Try the smaller wheel and if you deem that your trails are good on larger unicycles, then by all means ride a bigger uni.
So. . . which is it? "Anyone with a little off-road experience should have no problem finding a route on most of the trails" or "their technical sections were lacking compared to what you will find out here." If the former statement was accurate, someone with more experience on a larger wheel should be fine, no?
__________________
My 29er is my little wheel. Roll it, baby!

pLs forgve anu typist imak win positing forum my fone.
uniShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2012, albuquerque, california, california muni weekend, muni, munifest destiny, new mexico, oct, teaser, weekend


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grischa Muni Challenge 2012 (3 days Team Muni "race") turtle General Unicycling Discussions 46 2012-08-27 02:38 AM
[For Sale: UK] 26"muni,24"muni, 19" muni/trials, 36" road and a penny crankitup Trading Post 4 2012-04-17 07:57 PM
Distance Unicycling in Los Angeles – Jump right in… the "NightRiding" is fine!! DancesOnH2O General Unicycling Discussions 13 2011-04-04 06:23 PM
"California" Muni Weekend in Vancouver, BC anso General Unicycling Discussions 150 2010-09-28 08:00 PM
Uni-Geezer "Teaser" No.1:"How to pick up chicks" MuniAddict General Unicycling Discussions 28 2007-05-22 04:12 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
You Rated this Thread:
Page generated in 0.12165 seconds with 12 queries