Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Latest Unicycling News! > News and Announcements

View Poll Results: Do you (realistically) expect to attend Munifest Destiny 2012: Albuquerque?
I want to attend, but have to miss it this year. 7 23.33%
I definitely plan to attend Munifest Destiny! 23 76.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-05-03, 09:37 PM   #16
ABQnmuni
Just a guy

Nurse Ben,

The Balloon Fiesta is an added bonus. The Balloons are lunched very early in the morning, at dawn specifically. They can also be seen from many vantage points around the city. One could theoretically see the balloons then go ride unicycles (although going to the grounds might make for some being late for earlier rides). The other option is someone might want to come a day earlier and see them then. The two are not mutually exclusive.

magicollin,

Check out flights from Frontier, they some times have very cheap flights from Denver to Abq. I am from Denver and would regularly fly home, as it is cheaper for 1 person to fly than drive. You would have to sneak the Uni on some checked bagged though.
ABQnmuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 08:31 PM   #17
Unicaw89
FRAME BREAKER!!!

Eyal is hosting again!?!?

WAHHOOOO!!!! I'm so down!!
RenegadeJuggling.com
Unicaw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 01:07 PM   #18
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Balloons? Really??

I used to live in Reno, attended the Ballon Race fairly often, cold in the morning, best part is when they do the mass light up and start floating out, all that color against a dark backdrop, everyone milling about drinking coffee.

Now, let's get back to muni:

I spoke with Josh at UDC, he said that he'd like to attend, but he'll be at Outerbike that weekend, so maybe next year it could be the weekend before Outerbike, that is assuming it's near Utah...

FYI, if you want to get the word out, UDC will place event fliers in every shipment they send out, all you need to do is send them a stack of fliers. I did this for the Southeast Munifest, sending two packs of 200 fliers, I did not get a huge response, but I did pick up some folks who don't participate in the Unicyclist Forum.

I think I'm driving out, probably through the South so I can meet folks to ride along the way, gonna make it a two week tour, bringing all the boyz

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-05-06 at 01:08 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 02:48 PM   #19
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Careful Ben, last time I went for a two week tour for a California muni weekend it ended up turning into a 4 month road-trip .
Old 2012-05-07, 03:30 AM   #20
JBAB
Unicyclist

(I'm very interested, and considering bringing my 12-y-o riding buddy. There's that whole father-son trip bonding experience thing, but really I just want an excuse for not riding as well as y'all.) Posted by Unishark.....

So how about me on my 29er and my grandson on his 18". He's 7 yrs/old, been in three parades so far, won them of course, and has almost got the giraffe down. Really though I think even small rocks would be hard on a 18"er. Still we could do a lot of practiceing muni before Oct.
JBAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 11:34 AM   #21
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
So how about me on my 29er and my grandson on his 18". He's 7 yrs/old, been in three parades so far, won them of course, and has almost got the giraffe down. Really though I think even small rocks would be hard on a 18"er. Still we could do a lot of practiceing muni before Oct.
Yeah, he'd love itm I'm sure we'll all pitch in to help out, he'll bring the stoke!

As a little guy on a little wheel he'll probably go around the rocks

How much longer until he can get on a trials? Might be worth modifying a frame if you can make it short enough...

Quote:
Careful Ben, last time I went for a two week tour for a California muni weekend it ended up turning into a 4 month road-trip .
I am seriously considering taking two weeks, why not? If I stayed gone I'd get fired and my wife woudl leave me, so two weeks is two weeks, but once I'm child free, yup...

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-05-07 at 11:36 AM.
Old 2012-05-07, 02:37 PM   #22
eyal
Unicycologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAB View Post
That's a tough one. Our longest trail will be about 12 miles of downhill, so you'll want to make sure he has pretty outstanding endurance at that age and size. Let us know how the practicing goes.
eyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 07:33 PM   #23
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
That's a tough one. Our longest trail will be about 12 miles of downhill, so you'll want to make sure he has pretty outstanding endurance at that age and size. Let us know how the practicing goes.
Of course a seven yo is not going to go on long rides, but he can certainly ride a little out and back and ride around at the trail head. Think about how stoked he'll be to ride with the big boyz
Old 2012-05-07, 07:39 PM   #24
uniShark
muni commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAB View Post
(I'm very interested, and considering bringing my 12-y-o riding buddy. There's that whole father-son trip bonding experience thing, but really I just want an excuse for not riding as well as y'all.) Posted by Unishark.....

I took my son on a 16 mile ride when he was 10. He was OK until about mile 12, and did manage to finish the ride. But that was on a 24" wheel - I don't think he could have made it even 12 miles on a smaller wheel. I think a trials uni is minimal for trail riding for kids. If you can get him on a trials uni and do some muni over the summer, you should have a good idea of his capabilities.

pLs forgve anu typist imak win positing forum my fone.
uniShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 11:31 AM   #25
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
I think a trials uni is minimal for trail riding for kids. If you can get him on a trials uni and do some muni over the summer, you should have a good idea of his capabilities.
How about having a bike with you so he can ride the long trails with the group, then he'd have the uni for messing around in camp and at the trail head?

Twelve miles for a seven year old on a bike is a long ways, even if it's downhill both ways.

The big issue will be whether grandpa will need to stay with the little guy all the time or if grandma will be there too. I'd hate for grandpa to get stuck in camp or running shuttles
Old 2012-05-09, 07:26 PM   #26
uniShark
muni commuter

If I can scramble together enough vacation time, I'm looking probable for attending. I ran the idea by the boss (read: wife) yesterday, and she said she's always wanted to see the balloon festival. Looking like a two week cross-country camping (read: RV) trip with the whole family (wife and three boys, 10, 12, and 13). One already rides well, and I'll do my best to get the other two trail worthy this summer. However, I'll also bring bikes for them, and will likely send the family off to see balloons/zoo/museums for a day or two during the muni riding - sometimes daddy needs time alone with mistress uni.
I won't commit 100% until I can actually ride again (hoping for this month), and can confirm vacation availability.

Questions:
1. Do area campgrounds fill up during the balloon fest?
2. Can we get a list of likely riding areas on this thread, to help give people an idea of the most convenient places to stay?

Old 2012-05-10, 01:27 PM   #27
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
Looking like a two week cross-country camping (read: RV) trip with the whole family (wife and three boys, 10, 12, and 13).
Wow, that sounds like so much fun. I wish I could drag the whole family along but my wife and son are in school, so the best I can hope for is that they'll fly into SLC and come visit me

I am 99% sure that I'll drive out, so two days each way, but I'll ride along the way, so my trip is looking more and more like a two weeker

Eric, you know this is too good to pass up

Quote:
Can we get a list of likely riding areas on this thread, to help give people an idea of the most convenient places to stay?
That would be a nice resource, maybe some links on the web page...

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-05-10 at 01:29 PM.
Old 2012-05-10, 01:43 PM   #28
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Eric, you know this is too good to pass up
I had a dream last night I drove down there but then woke up in Mexico, and trying to go back home ended up in Guatemala. Strange dream.

I would love to but I think if I manage to go to CMW (or equivalent) every other year that would be pretty good.
Old 2012-05-10, 04:26 PM   #29
eyal
Unicycologist

book accommodations ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniShark View Post
1. Do area campgrounds fill up during the balloon fest?
2. Can we get a list of likely riding areas on this thread, to help give people an idea of the most convenient places to stay?
Accommodations: Balloon Fiesta is such a popular event that people are known to book their accommodations a whole year in advance. With this in mind, munifest folks should definitely make their sleeping arrangements ASAP. As for camping in particular, I'm not entirely sure, but I suggest playing it on the safe side, and booking that now too.

Location: If you want to stay in a hotel close to the trails, I suggest finding a place in the general vicinity of Tramway Blvd. NE and the 40 fwy. If you want to camp near the trail area, I recommend Cedro Peak. That's in Cibola forest area, just south of Hwy 40 and the town of Tijeras.

If you prefer to stay closer to the heart of Albuquerque, and have your own transportation, you can look for places anywhere between the Rio Grande and Louisiana Blvd NE, and stick within a mile or two of Central Ave. The most popular part of town is on Central Ave between University Blvd. and Carlisle Blvd.

Ride Itinerary: The ride itinerary is subject to change, but our current plan is as follows.

Fri: Powerlines trail at Cedro Peak (where the recommended campground is). This is in Cibola forest area, just south of Hwy 40 and the town of Tijeras. The trail is also east of road 337.

Sat: Sandia Peak (riding down the east-facing side). The trail circuit actually goes southeast. We'll drop in from the top near Ellis, connect to 10k trail, then Tree Springs trail, then Oso corridor, then end at Doc Long picnic area.

Sun: Otero Canyon trail. This will be back near the Cedro Peak area, but on the west side of road 337.

An informal trials comp is also planned for Sunday. This will either be at a sweet indoor location near hwy 25 and Comanche, or at really cool outdoor location 45 mile northwest of town, up hwy 550 in the San Ysidro area.

Hope that helps. Now go book your accommodations!
eyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 09:00 PM   #30
uniShark
muni commuter

The Cedro Peak Campground has just two group sites, and they're both already booked for that weekend.

Tags
2012, albuquerque, california, california muni weekend, muni, munifest destiny, new mexico, oct, teaser, weekend