Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-05-20, 01:52 AM   #31
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by forget_your_life
thats cause vinyl will never die.
When I get my old records digitized, they're going to "pass on." To someone else.

Quote:
speaking of life, that JVC casette player i got from you is still working great.
Ha! Probably helped a lot by lack of mileage. I know my "good" one (the one I didn't give away) barely gets any use at all.

This year at MUni Weekend we may be giving away a pair of (barely used) Motorola walkie-talkies. You never know what might be up for grabs at CA MUni Weekend!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2006-05-20 at 01:52 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-20, 02:43 AM   #32
unijesse
Unicyclist

hey guys guess what! i just went to the store and bought:

kansas-leftoverture(unopened)
"the graduate" soundtrack
the knack-get the knack
foreinger-4
foreigner-double vision
foreinger-self titled
david bowie-lets dance
david bowie-tonight
blondie-best of blondie

all for under $18.00

><> Unicycle For Christ <><
unijesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-20, 02:47 AM   #33
tomtrevor
Unicyclist

hit it with a hammer
Old 2006-05-20, 02:48 AM   #34
unijesse
Unicyclist

hit what? my table allready works

Old 2006-05-20, 02:50 AM   #35
mscalisi
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss
When I get my old records digitized, they're going to "pass on." To someone else.
so so sad.....unless you give them to me :-)
mscalisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-20, 02:55 AM   #36
unijesse
Unicyclist

no, me!!

Old 2006-05-20, 09:39 AM   #37
gkmac
     

Quote:
Originally Posted by forget_your_life
i know why...you had one heck of a shitty turn table. all those issues are addressed by quality of componate.
I never owned a turntable, it was my parents record player. To be fair on you, it was an all-in-one record player with built-in amp and supplied speakers, thus not a true standalone turntable.

But more likely to be the one that families buy as opposed to what audiophiles would buy, hence more people would suffer those problems. At least a shitty CD player would start playing the beginning on the first attempt, or start playing the exact point between tracks...

You know, there was another fun aspect of that record player. Did anyone here ever own or use a turntable that allowed you to stack records? You took the spindle out and clicked in a special one that had a tiny movement mid-way up, then you carefully balanced a stack of records on this movement and swung a supporting arm on top to keep them in balance.

You then pressed a button, the turntable would turn and after the tonearm did a funny movement, the first record in the stack would fall flat onto the turntable and get played, the other records still suspended above it. When it finished, the tonearm would auto-return and then the next record would fall flat down on top of the first one and that would get played. When the last record fell, the supporting arm would move down a fair bit to trigger a sensor that would make the tonearm return and the turntable stop after the last record.

It worked most of the time, but there would be issues such as a record not falling, or two records falling at the same time. But the worst was that as the stack on the turntable increased, tiny warps on a set of records stacked below the playing one would add up and give you the dreaded wow and flutter.
     
gkmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-20, 02:27 PM   #38
unijesse
Unicyclist

mines got that but it doesnt work, i dont think. when i set it to auto (its when its supposed to move the needle to the first song then back to th table when done) it puts the needle to the end and then sweeps it across the record to the middle of the last song(w/o lifting up) then if i move it to the first song, when its done it does the same scratch thing

Old 2006-05-20, 08:50 PM   #39
mscalisi
Unicyclist

hmmm...29 and never had a turntable. I guess that's about the cutoff for when cd's were in and LP's were out.

It's true, an inexpensive cd player will outperform a cheap turntable.

My parents had a turntable like the one you mention. It was very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmac
I never owned a turntable, it was my parents record player. To be fair on you, it was an all-in-one record player with built-in amp and supplied speakers, thus not a true standalone turntable.

But more likely to be the one that families buy as opposed to what audiophiles would buy, hence more people would suffer those problems. At least a shitty CD player would start playing the beginning on the first attempt, or start playing the exact point between tracks...

You know, there was another fun aspect of that record player. Did anyone here ever own or use a turntable that allowed you to stack records? You took the spindle out and clicked in a special one that had a tiny movement mid-way up, then you carefully balanced a stack of records on this movement and swung a supporting arm on top to keep them in balance.

You then pressed a button, the turntable would turn and after the tonearm did a funny movement, the first record in the stack would fall flat onto the turntable and get played, the other records still suspended above it. When it finished, the tonearm would auto-return and then the next record would fall flat down on top of the first one and that would get played. When the last record fell, the supporting arm would move down a fair bit to trigger a sensor that would make the tonearm return and the turntable stop after the last record.

It worked most of the time, but there would be issues such as a record not falling, or two records falling at the same time. But the worst was that as the stack on the turntable increased, tiny warps on a set of records stacked below the playing one would add up and give you the dreaded wow and flutter.
mscalisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-21, 04:32 AM   #40
unijesse
Unicyclist

i just bought two 45s from ebay:mungo jerry-in the summer time/ neil sedaka-bad blood

Last edited by unijesse; 2006-05-21 at 04:32 AM.

Tags
table, turn