Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

View Poll Results: Knee down: what kind of Unicycling injuries have you sustained?
No injuries to knees, legs, of knees 6 10.91%
1 or 2 injuries to knees 19 34.55%
3 or more injuries to knees 10 18.18%
1 or 2 injuries to shin front 11 20.00%
3 or more injuries to shin front 25 45.45%
1 or 2 injuries to calves 16 29.09%
3 or more injuries to calves 13 23.64%
1 or 2 injuries to ankles 23 41.82%
3 or more injuries to ankles 10 18.18%
injury to foot 10 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-12-22, 12:56 AM   #1
podzol
"Not I," said the duck.

Lower leg/knee injury frequency and type

After the last 6 months of challenging myself on a uni I have experienced a few nasty injuries to my knees, ankles, and shins.

I am making this poll to get an idea what leg padding is best. I have been using minimalist soccer shin and ankle guards and took a whak in the back of the calf where it was unprotected. My new 661s also leave this part vulnerable. Looking at my toothy looking muni pedals and my bare calves I am left with some trepidation!

In the poll you can check more than one so please do as appropriate!

I imagine the injury types vary with unicycle style, so if you want to post about that, great!
Thanks

Last edited by podzol; 2005-12-22 at 01:04 AM.
podzol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 03:25 AM   #2
U-Turn
Small fish, small pond

Heya Bogperson....

I've had a sprained ankle (MUni, 4 mo riding lost) and a damaged MCL (wheel-walking, 1 year riding plus 1+ years recovery of skills).

I almost always wear leg armor so no significant damage in that respect. I wear 661 4x4s with long cotton socks underneath. I have bruised my shin through the pads and would like someday to have hard shell leg armor that fits as comfortably.

For a while I wore ankle braces on both sides but they interfered with riding so much I have stopped wearing them.

I wore a knee brace for a while after the injury but it wore holes in my leg and interfered greatly with riding. So I dropped the brace and switched to the bike for quite a while then back to uni.

Cool bio, btw... you seem to be a Jill of All Trades!
Old 2005-12-22, 03:49 AM   #3
James_Potter
Unicyclist

when I had the old KH cranks, they tore up my ankles like you wouldn't BELIEVE. ripped huge chunks of skin out...I haven't been hit in the ankles for about a year, but the scars are still very visibly there.
and of course pedal bits to the shins...and I twisted my ankle once.
James_Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 11:28 AM   #4
kington99
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to kington99
Quote:
Originally Posted by podzol
took a whak in the back of the calf where it was unprotected. My new 661s also leave this part vulnerable. Looking at my toothy looking muni pedals and my bare calves I am left with some trepidation!
Thanks
Which 661s do you have? 4x4s, which is what most people use, cover the back of your calf with a sheet of fabric, which is amazingly good at stopping pedal bites despite it having no actual padding. Either you got the wrong 661s or you're wearing them wrongly.

- what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
kington99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 12:38 PM   #5
dforbes
One wheel, one pint

Hi Blake,

When I first started Muni I didn't have any pads for the backs of my calf, and the (predictable) result was too many nasty pedal bites. I tried soccer pads turned front-to-back, which were OK for protection but too many onlookers felt obliged to let me know they were on backwards.
Finally got a pair of the Kris Holm leg armour about 2 yr ago and they've been great - no more punctured flesh. I'd recommend the KH pads, alhough you may have some trouble finding a pair. Good luck!

Doug
dforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 12:42 PM   #6
podzol
"Not I," said the duck.

HI Guys, Thanks!

Quote:
Which 661s do you have? 4x4s, which is what most people use, cover the back of your calf with a sheet of fabric, which is amazingly good at stopping pedal bites despite it having no actual padding. Either you got the wrong 661s or you're wearing them wrongly.
I have the 4x4s. they do havethe nylon that covers the back, I didn't think it would help, if it does, great!!

Quote:
when I had the old KH cranks, they tore up my ankles like you wouldn't BELIEVE. ripped huge chunks of skin out...I haven't been hit in the ankles for about a year, but the scars are still very visibly there.
and of course pedal bits to the shins...and I twisted my ankle once.
YOUCH!!!Did you ever get a Rubic-related injury?

Quote:
I almost always wear leg armor so no significant damage in that respect. I wear 661 4x4s with long cotton socks underneath.
Good to hear. Maybe I did buy the right ones!

Quote:
When I first started Muni I didn't have any pads for the backs of my calf, and the (predictable) result was too many nasty pedal bites. I tried soccer pads turned front-to-back, which were OK for protection but too many onlookers felt obliged to let me know they were on backwards.
Finally got a pair of the Kris Holm leg armour about 2 yr ago and they've been great - no more punctured flesh. I'd recommend the KH pads, alhough you may have some trouble finding a pair.
Durn. I just bought the 4x4s! I have some light wight soccer pads that I can lip on backwards underneath tho!

Quote:
Cool bio, btw... you seem to be a Jill of All Trades!
Thanks!! Life is too cool to miss the boat. Carpe Diem!

Last edited by podzol; 2005-12-22 at 12:47 PM.
podzol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 12:54 PM   #7
Borges
Unicyclist

I checked all the "3 or more" options. It sounds worse than it is. None of the injuries have been serious and you should keep in mind that I started unicycling 20 years ago. The most serious injuries would have been prevented by Active Ankles or the like. The rest has just been bruises, scrapes and cuts.
Borges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 12:55 PM   #8
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

There are two types of knee/angle injury: those arising form over use, and those arising suddenly. The second sort can subdivide into sudden strain, and sudden impact.

On long distance rides, I have had knee twinges. On tough cross country sections, I have had sudden knee twinges. It is important to listen to your body, stop, rest, and let everything get its breath back. As a dancer, I can't afford long term damage to my knees.

As for sudden injury - these can arise from falling onto the floor, or from impact with a part of the unicycle. I once cut both knees in a high speed belly-surfing dismount from the Coker. Other than that, I've never had a problem. But then, I don't do trials, and I seldom ride near rocks.

I have only once suffered minor abrasions to the back of my leg. All my unis (except the 20) have spiked pedals but I have never really found the pedal-bite thing to be a problem. On a MUni/XC ride, there will be many sections at the limit of my ability, and many UPDs. Maybe pedal bits only comne with certain types of UPD?

I wear a helmet and wrist guards (both of which have shown their worth) but have found no need for other protection. But that's me.

I haven't voted in the poll because for some reason, I can't. This is my second computer I've used on RSU, and I'm properly logged in and everything. Any suggestions for why I have been cruelly disenfranchised?
Old 2005-12-22, 01:00 PM   #9
kington99
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to kington99
Quote:
I have the 4x4s. they do have the nylon that covers the back, I didn't think it would help, if it does, great!!
You would be amazed, i wear mine over jeans which probably helps a fair bit, but even on those falls where your foot slips over the pedal, your calf lands on the pedal and then your weight drives the pedal in to your leg i have had no injuries, and i ride very spikey V12 pedals.

- what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
kington99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 02:28 PM   #10
Wheel Rider
From the Over 50 Group

My injuries have (so far) been only bruises and scraps/cuts from pedal bites and hitting my ankle on the crown of the frame. No broken bones or tendon injuries.

I have been riding almost 3 years.

The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature heals the disease. - Voltaire
Wheel Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 06:19 PM   #11
forrestunifreak
is in college. and on magazines.

Send a message via AIM to forrestunifreak Send a message via MSN to forrestunifreak Send a message via Skype™ to forrestunifreak
I don't get shin or calf srapes when I'm wearing leg armor, 661 4X4's or PRYME bootleg armor is what I wear.

BUT, the one thing that leg armor never covers, is that little ankle bone that sticks out on the insudes of your ankles..... I'm not sure what its called. I hit that wether I'm wearing padding or not, no matter what cranks I ride.
Old 2005-12-22, 06:22 PM   #12
James_Potter
Unicyclist

Quote:
YOUCH!!!Did you ever get a Rubic-related injury?
haha, yeah, I kinda did...I've hurt my wrist/thumb from cubing too much. most call it Cuber's Thumb, it usually happens in the days after a competition because I spend like an hour a day cubing for a few days before....
James_Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 06:29 PM   #13
chauncy
29" = awesome.

I use soccer shin pads when I remember, but I still take a beating. Of course a lot of that is probaly that my pedals are Bear Traps.
chauncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 06:39 PM   #14
unitic
Metroid Prime...

Shin always gets bruised up when I unicycle.
Old 2005-12-22, 08:24 PM   #15
Spudman
yeah.

Over the past 5 days of unicycling, I've conked my ankle on the crank about 15 times. Right now there is a huge bruise and scab thing on my ankle that gets bigger everytime I hit it again. It hurts like crazy to even just touch it. Maybe some day I'll upgrade to a less lethal unicycle (or riding style).
Spudman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frequency, injury, leg or knee, lower, type