Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-08-29, 09:16 PM   #16
Cyc
Luni-Muni

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimalist View Post
Well, it would be fun if I improved at a faster rate. Part of my motivation is that this skill seemed like the ultimate balance feat. The other part is that I hoped it would improve my muni skills. Initially it did seem to improve my muni skills but that stopped when my progress stagnated. Another reason is that I work at a desk all day and I need to get up and do something occasionally and stillstand practice is the only thing I feel safe doing on my unicycle in my office. I usually practice about 6 times during the day for about 5 minutes each time.
I understand better now your situation and motivation and I can relate to it!

I have a freestyle unicycle on my balcony, which I use occasionally. This has some similarities to the constraints you have in your office. Still I would give you the same recommendation as other people did before: do different things! Idleing, backwards and one footed cycling, jumping, wheel walk ... and try stillstand just inbetween in different conditions. Forget about your feat for a while and come back to it at a later point in time. I saw many times that progess in one area fuels progress in another area. I tend rather not to believe that any specific tips about stillstand technique will help you.
Old 2012-08-30, 01:30 PM   #17
MadFurai
Skateboarder to Marine to Unicycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyc View Post
Still I would give you the same recommendation as other people did before: do different things! Idleing, backwards and one footed cycling, jumping, wheel walk ... and try stillstand just inbetween in different conditions. Forget about your feat for a while and come back to it at a later point in time. I saw many times that progess in one area fuels progress in another area. I tend rather not to believe that any specific tips about stillstand technique will help you.
+1

Practice other things (including riding skinnies or simply riding extremely slow). I would even say take a complete break from stillstands for a short while. It might help you "unlearn" some of your bad habits since you haven't made any progress in such a long time.
Old 2012-08-30, 11:45 PM   #18
leo
Vandewoestijne

5 months of no improvement can be called stillstand...

+1 866-UNI-CYCL
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 04:37 PM   #19
minimalist
less is more

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton005 View Post
Have you tried practicing off your uni just to get the muscle memory for your hip/upper body movements? Might help...
I sometimes work with my wobble board and I practiced one legged standing but I not as much as as should. Perhaps I should increase my practice with those exercises. The slackline idea that maestro suggested would also be a good addition.
minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 04:40 PM   #20
minimalist
less is more

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFurai View Post
+1

Practice other things (including riding skinnies or simply riding extremely slow). I would even say take a complete break from stillstands for a short while. It might help you "unlearn" some of your bad habits since you haven't made any progress in such a long time.
I'm starting to get the idea that the best way to progress is to work on a lot of different things. Somehow I thought I could shortcut a lot of that by going after one of the hardest balance feats but it seems that just sets me up for frustration. I'm going to start riding skinnies and working on my idle and my hopping. I can idle for quite a while but I don't do it properly. I need to learn to drive the idle more with my lower leg so that hopefully I can migrate to one legged idling and one legged riding.

Thanks to all for the great advice.
minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 03:08 PM   #21
MadFurai
Skateboarder to Marine to Unicycler

Sounds like a good plan. Practicing hops has helped my still stands, even though I don't really practice still stands. The time I can still stand while setting up for a hop onto an obstacle has definitely increased with SIF hopping practice.
Old 2017-03-06, 06:03 PM   #22
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Old thread, but reviving it with a few questions for the still stand experts:

1: Should tire pressure be high, low, or somewhere in between?
1a: Does tire width/tread design matter?
2: How high/low should saddle be, i.e., how much bend should there be in the knees?
3: Is it easier to do still stands sitting or standing?
4: Does wheel size make a difference in difficulty?
5: Does crank size matter?
6: Should arms be outstretched or held above head for optimum balance?
7: Should your eyes and head be looking down or straight out?

Thanks in advance for any insights/suggestions.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2017-03-06 at 06:33 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-06, 09:30 PM   #23
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
Old thread, but reviving it with a few questions for the still stand experts:

1: Should tire pressure be high, low, or somewhere in between?
1a: Does tire width/tread design matter?
2: How high/low should saddle be, i.e., how much bend should there be in the knees?
3: Is it easier to do still stands sitting or standing?
4: Does wheel size make a difference in difficulty?
5: Does crank size matter?
6: Should arms be outstretched or held above head for optimum balance?
7: Should your eyes and head be looking down or straight out?

Thanks in advance for any insights/suggestions.
1. Doesn't matter much
1a. Doesn't matter much
2. Doesn't matter much
3. They are both a bit different, but being good in one benefits the other.
4. Yes. You will do some slight adjusments forward and backwards, which will be easier on a 20"
5. Not really. Maybe with 90mm cranks it will become harder, but nothing major.
6. I use shoulder height as the base height for my arms.
7. As long as it does not hinder your posture, it doesn't matter much. Since stillstand usually happens on a rail when I try it, I look onto the ground close enough for me to see where my tire is.

The consensus between me and two fellow unicyclist was: Just use your trials uni at whatever settings you have it at.

Sorry for my English...if it is wrong
finnspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-06, 09:57 PM   #24
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
1. Doesn't matter much
1a. Doesn't matter much
2. Doesn't matter much
3. They are both a bit different, but being good in one benefits the other.
4. Yes. You will do some slight adjusments forward and backwards, which will be easier on a 20"
5. Not really. Maybe with 90mm cranks it will become harder, but nothing major.
6. I use shoulder height as the base height for my arms.
7. As long as it does not hinder your posture, it doesn't matter much. Since stillstand usually happens on a rail when I try it, I look onto the ground close enough for me to see where my tire is.

The consensus between me and two fellow unicyclist was: Just use your trials uni at whatever settings you have it at.
Thanks!

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-08, 06:09 AM   #25
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

When doing any balance activity, it helps to fix your gaze on something stationary in the middle distance.
Old 2017-03-08, 03:20 PM   #26
song
Unicyclist

Yes, and it also helps to suck in your stomach and otherwise keep a straight, vertical line from the crown of your head down to your hips.

These pointers are very helpful for slackline, which a number of posts on this thread have suggested is related to stillstanding.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 05:25 AM   #27
bungeejoe
J Myers

Terry:

Everyone I know who stillstands does it on a skinny or rock or log or something.

Like at 10:23 in Kris Holm v Bratisiave.

But I don't practice on a skinny or rock or log or something. Must be the non-conformist in me.

I suggest you work on stillstands on which ever wheel size and crank length you are most comfortable with. And practice more often then I do. I've yet to get that good at it but I usually practice stillstands while in traffic during rush hour while waiting for a red light to turn green while on a 36 during my commutes. Or I'll stillstand at the end of my commute. I guess I just don't stop for enough red lights or else maybe I'd get better.

I suspect a 36 or a giraffe might be easier than something smaller because the motion is slower and you might have more time to adjust. I'm sure most or all the good stillstand experts all suggest a little wheel. But I never spend anytime on a little wheel and they just don't stillstand as easy for me.

Try your 36. You might like it.

JM

teamUnicycle.com

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 02:22 PM   #28
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

From a physics standpoint, what is going on is that rocking the unicycle from side to side leans the tire over and moves the point of contact with the ground from side to side - it's a little like moving your finger around to balance a stick on the end of it.

So:
- wider tires give you more potential side-to-side motion range
- if the tire's too rounded, you won't be able to rock the contact point all the way from one side of the tire to the other
- taller unicycles limit your motion (an inch of deflection on a 36" is less of an angle change than an inch of deflection on a 20")

... so I would vote for a short trials-type unicycle with a wide tire and a slightly rounded tire profile, with enough air pressure that your contact patch isn't already the whole width of the tire.

I'm pretty bad at stillstands but it matches my experience. I've mostly thought about it in the context of doing a wheels-locked trackstand on my trials bike, which is a very similar exercise (you rock the bike from side to side under you - it's not the normal trackstand where you make small back and forth rolling movements). It's easier than a unicycle stillstand because you can turn the front wheel sideways, which give you a lot more range of side-to-side motion.
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-12, 01:10 AM   #29
anton005
Unicyclist

So you want to keep moving side to side from the get go? I've always tried to only move if my balance was off. Explains why I suck at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
From a physics standpoint, what is going on is that rocking the unicycle from side to side leans the tire over and moves the point of contact with the ground from side to side - it's a little like moving your finger around to balance a stick on the end of it.

So:
- wider tires give you more potential side-to-side motion range
- if the tire's too rounded, you won't be able to rock the contact point all the way from one side of the tire to the other
- taller unicycles limit your motion (an inch of deflection on a 36" is less of an angle change than an inch of deflection on a 20")

... so I would vote for a short trials-type unicycle with a wide tire and a slightly rounded tire profile, with enough air pressure that your contact patch isn't already the whole width of the tire.

I'm pretty bad at stillstands but it matches my experience. I've mostly thought about it in the context of doing a wheels-locked trackstand on my trials bike, which is a very similar exercise (you rock the bike from side to side under you - it's not the normal trackstand where you make small back and forth rolling movements). It's easier than a unicycle stillstand because you can turn the front wheel sideways, which give you a lot more range of side-to-side motion.
anton005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
improvement, months, practice, stillstand