Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-04-25, 11:26 PM   #31
Thumper uni
Unicyclist

The q axle hubs look strong there is such a small tolerance between the calliper bolt and rotor that it would only take a small flex to touch I could file the bolt head down to stop it touching but it only happens when I put max backward pressure on pedals .
Old 2018-04-26, 01:21 AM   #32
Thumper uni
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Is it really?! I'd avoid the Qu-Ax altogether then. Especially if Thumper uni thinks there's a frame flex issue.

It isn't frame flex that Pierluc was worried about when the hub was mentioned, it's the requirement to dish the wheel to make room for the disc within the 100mm spacing of the hub. Two problems then (but frame flex is a separate one)!

There will be asymmetric tension between the spokes on each side. This is fine on a smaller wheel but on such a big rim it's going to be easier to lose tension on the non-disc (lower tension) side under high radial loads.
For a unicycle versus a bike the lateral strength of the wheel is also more important and a narrower hub gives you less of this.

External disc 100mm hub or internal disc 125mm hub for me, certainly on a 36er. Is this perhaps why there's no Qu-Ax RGB 36er?
Hi Rich I have only just noticed the disc side spoke holes are offset towards the disc side and the other side look to be in the centre.
Old 2018-04-26, 01:29 AM   #33
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

I don't yet own a 36er. I am also concerned about the asymmetrical 100mm wide hub. I am a heavier rider and occasionally do stupid things on my uni. Recipe for breaking spokes. Anyhow, things are typically pretty dry in Southern California, and I'm contemplating using a rim brake rather than a disk brake. I'm not sure if that's compatible with the current choices for wheels. Also, I'm a little confused regarding differences in stiffness in the frames, described earlier in this thread. I like a tight setup, but I'm wondering how much difference there is in flex between two frames...and how that manifests itself. I'm contemplating buying/building a 36", and it's going to have a Shadow Handle on it. Maybe someone else can comment on the amount of flex felt in the bar ends...if it is related at all to the stiffness of the frame.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-26, 06:09 AM   #34
DirtyPuddle
Unicycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I'm contemplating buying/building a 36", and it's going to have a Shadow Handle on it. Maybe someone else can comment on the amount of flex felt in the bar ends...if it is related at all to the stiffness of the frame.
I'm riding the Nimbus Stealth with the Shadow handle. Frame and handlebar is extremely stiff. I do find that the spokes creak a bit under torque. Otherwise the rig feels solid as a rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Anyhow, things are typically pretty dry in Southern California
So where are all the group rides at around here?
DirtyPuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-26, 01:36 PM   #35
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPuddle View Post
So where are all the group rides at around here?
We had a group ride last Saturday in the Aliso and Wood Canyon. Rode up to Top of the World and back down. Send me a PM and I'll share the email of the organizer with you. He sends out weekly emails. Mostly the events are either muni (multiple locations) or flatland (which typically takes place in a park in Pasadena). 36er rides are fewer and farther between, but they do happen. Terry (Unigeezer) Peterson does a lot of riding adjacent to the beach on his 36er. Sometimes people join him.

When I (finally) get a 36", I'm going to ride along the paved Aliso Creek bicycle path from Aliso Canyon up to Cook's Corner...and back. That's a 20 mile round trip. The first half is uphill, but gradual, totally doable on a 36".
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-26, 02:56 PM   #36
Unitardis
One Wheeled Escape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPuddle View Post
I'm riding the Nimbus Stealth with the Shadow handle. Frame and handlebar is extremely stiff. I do find that the spokes creak a bit under torque. Otherwise the rig feels solid as a rock.
I had creaking issues w/ my Stealth as well. It's not stealth if it's creaking so I resolved to track down the offending noise. It was coming the bearings, specifically where they press fit to the hub axle. So I pulled them, applied grease to the contact surfaces, pressed them back w/ the cranks and presto, noise gone!

I know spokes can creak but if your Stealth is new I bet it's the bearings and not the spokes. In fact I now assume that most creaking issues w/ unis involve the press fit bearings. It's the press fit just like it usually is w/ bicycle bottom brackets. Rubbish design but it's all we've got...

I ended up buying the nimbus bearing extractor from UDC so I can grease all my uni bearings when they start to vocalize. I love the quiet ride now, it's the sound of quality. A creaky uni feels like junk.

You might be able to pinpoint the creak by pushing/pulling on your cranks w/ a hand and holding the wheel still w/ your other hand. Rest the seat w/ your gut to get enough leverage on the uni. That's how I figured out it almost had to be the bearings and not any other place where surfaces may abrade (and there are many candidates!). You've got to eliminate confounds like the brake, the pedals, the cranks, the spokes, the seat, the seat post, the handle, etc.
Unitardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-27, 09:57 PM   #37
Pierluc
Unicyclist

I've been trying to contact municycle.ca all week by email and phone and no reply/answers. Not looking good
I don't know if it's always like that. Last time I sent my order without asking anything and things went well.
Pierluc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-02, 02:27 AM   #38
Pierluc
Unicyclist

I bet the message form from their website doesnt work, i had fast and great answers when emailing jugglegear.com . Just placed my order on a 36 oracle, took the older model on sale
Old 2018-05-02, 04:22 AM   #39
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

I think that that's the way it works at Municycle.ca.

If it's an order with no questions or interaction then no problems. Product arrives promptly.
If you have any sort of question or clarification needed then good luck getting a response.

Like you, I went to another country and got great service across the board.
Shout out to Roland in Germany.

There's also Grin Technologies in Vancouver as well.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-02, 01:36 PM   #40
Pierluc
Unicyclist

Juggle gear and municycle is the same thing. I got it there
Old 2018-05-02, 02:59 PM   #41
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Pardon me, I thought you bought it in the States.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 12:25 PM   #42
Pierluc
Unicyclist

There it is ! Bought the older version on sale but it seems like i got a mix of the old and new model, welded brake mount, nimbus gel saddle and steel hub instead of alu, Verry happy with it ! After 16 km riding it, i average 17km km/h instead of 12 km/h on the 26 muni. It also seems to turn a lot easier than my 26, maybe its the tire Pretty sure that i will be getting handlebars soon

received_10156655480452125

20180512_124541
Old 2018-05-16, 08:32 PM   #43
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierluc View Post
There it is ! Bought the older version on sale but it seems like i got a mix of the old and new model, welded brake mount, nimbus gel saddle and steel hub instead of alu, Verry happy with it ! After 16 km riding it, i average 17km km/h instead of 12 km/h on the 26 muni. It also seems to turn a lot easier than my 26, maybe its the tire Pretty sure that i will be getting handlebars soon
Don't rush with the handlebars unless you're already used to using them. I'm on my 3rd 36er over a 15year period, with some fairly intense riding on and off road and I have a variable relationship with bars.

At the moment I have a KH bar, fairly standard "out of the box" with the KH bar ends fitted, but in the last month I was using a bare T bar, and before that no bar at all, and over the years I've had all sorts of fantastic set ups, long and short, wide and narrow, simple and complex. Bars are a mixed blessing.

It's up to you, of course, but add them because you need them, not because everyone says you need them.

Enjoy your new ride.
Old 2018-05-17, 11:57 AM   #44
Uni Klein
Hooked For Life!

That saddle in my experience is anything but gel!
Old 2018-05-17, 07:21 PM   #45
Pierluc
Unicyclist

You are right I don't feel any gel in that saddle ! I seem to be getting used to it. I got a stadium and an older modified kh seat I could swap if need be. But this green one looks better!

About the nimbus gel. How tight can those 10mil nut under the saddle be ? It have some flex to it I'm wondering if I can tight it some more! Right now i just used a 10mil screwdriver

Tags
36er