Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-09-08, 03:55 PM   #961
Carballo

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplecorn View Post
Today I rode the farthest I ever have, 10 miles, on my 26" Torker LX. I've been riding for about a month now.

The ride took me two hours and 45 minutes and boy am I sore. My knees are the worst and I might have to take a day off from riding. How much faster, and how much better would I be feeling right now, if I did the ride on a 36"? I've been eyeing the nighthawk.
I recommend some electrolytes and bcaas for recovery!
Carballo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-09, 03:08 PM   #962
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplecorn View Post
My knees are the worst
Were you riding on pavement? In some cases, I think, knee pain can result from a lack of resistance to pedaling. The tendons in the knees then loosen up, only to be thrown and twisted around from all the motion. I'm guessing, also, that you were pedaling at a pretty high cadence. And, if you were riding long distance on pavement, there is repetitive motion. You should probably take a short break. Then try riding on grass, up hills or on some other resistant and uneven surface. Muni riding has been the best thing for my knees. Beginners typically go through a phase were they are obsessed with distance. Keep working on your technique (static-mounts, idling, hands-on-seat, etc.) and sooner or later you'll be riding 10+ miles without pain.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-17, 04:26 AM   #963
Jabboy586

Today i

Today I geared up for a ride at 7 a.m. and went out on my 36 incher for 10 miles, I got back home and didn't feel tired at all... Tomorrow I'm going to go for 20 miles, wish me luck!
Jabboy586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-18, 01:49 PM   #964
krjames
Unicyclist

Probably look at your seat height too, knee pain is often a result of the seat being too low.

BTW What was your previous longest ride? Don't go making big jumps in time and distance, that is the way to injuries. And you are probably being sensible if you take two or three days off, seriously. Then a short easy day to check that all the parts are ok, you and your wheel
"If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV."
— Homer Simpson
Haven't got the karate suit
krjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-19, 03:45 AM   #965
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Talking Seat In Front

Today, I can finally say I can ride seat-in-front! I've been working at it for a while, and it finally clicked. The limiting factor is now my legs, rather than my skill.
Old 2017-09-20, 03:28 PM   #966
UnderTheLake
I like pavement.

I passed IUF Level 3 last night. I note without irony that my judge was about 1/3 my age, and more than twice my IUF level.
UnderTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-20, 06:03 PM   #967
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLake View Post
I passed IUF Level 3 last night. I note without irony that my judge was about 1/3 my age, and more than twice my IUF level.
Pretty much rules out having a beer together when it's over, doesn't it? Congratulations!
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-20, 10:57 PM   #968
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

From a couple of days ago - some really basic stuff, but the first time I've done any of this on my giraffe:
idling left foot down (I normally idle right foot down)
hopping
backwards circles

Definitely getting close to the point I'm feeling really comfortable on it - the backwards circles actually feel more stable than they do on a little unicycle.

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2