Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2010-05-25, 07:01 PM   #241
MuniSano
Hartman Rocks, Uncompahgre beyond..

Yeah, I'm all booked Memorial weekend with our local, big, 10km the Cotton Row run that our Huntsville Track Club puts on. Good luck with that 50 miles, I did 50 miles at the Dirty Spokes 12 Hours of Fort Yargo (in Georgia) a few years ago in around 9 1/2 hours. I had time for another loop (around 12 1/4 miles) but I'd already hit my target at 50 miles and my legs were totally cached; I was falling flat on my face just trying to free mount in the last hour of my ride! My friend Paul (hitarock) did do another loop for 62 miles! Animal! Finished in the dark with a head lamp! I'd like to go back there and make 5 loops some day; perfect 12 hour venue. Would be cool to get enough folks together for our own category and possibly enter a team or two.

I'm going to attempt a two-day "uni-pack" of a 70 mile section of the Georgia Pinhoti Trail some time this fall (around 35 miles each day and camp out in between days). I ran through this section (Simms Mountain Trail to Dug Gap, including the infamous Snake Creek Gap section) during my Pinhoti speed hike and it is an ideal place to ride (these are largely mountain bike trails) and plenty of access to water and great camping spots. So, keep that in mind if you hankering for a big adventure this fall...

Good luck at the Munifest, I'll really try and make it if I can, I'd like to really be there to defend my co-title.
Old 2010-05-25, 08:26 PM   #242
billnye
Junior Mint

Send a message via ICQ to billnye Send a message via AIM to billnye Send a message via Yahoo to billnye
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniSano View Post
[...]I did 50 miles at the Dirty Spokes 12 Hours of Fort Yargo (in Georgia) a few years ago in around 9 1/2 hours.[...]
Well my 30 mile 4h15 and this proposed 50miles are both flat relatively-smooth with only minor or short incline/decline and minimal rootbeds. I'd say that 90% of the Squiggy race, and hopefully a similar percentage of the Santos Epic will also be 2nd gear appropriate. That helps a lot.

gunis or goonies?,
billnye
John M
billnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 08:32 PM   #243
MuniSano
Hartman Rocks, Uncompahgre beyond..

Yeah, Fort Yargo is definitely not flat, very rolling with occasional technical (i.e. rock garden) patches but very doable. I didn't have my GUni back then so I don't know how much of it I could have ridden in high gear, probably not too much as the constant rolling would be difficult to contend with. 4h 15m for 30 miles is pretty fast! Great job! I wish I had such nice XC type trails around here. There are some flat gravel roads by the river that I've zoomed along, but it's not very challenging. You should be able to smoke through 50 miles then. Just plan your hydration/energy needs appropriately. Good Luck and be sure to write it up; would love to read about it.
Old 2010-05-27, 09:33 PM   #244
billnye
Junior Mint

Send a message via ICQ to billnye Send a message via AIM to billnye Send a message via Yahoo to billnye
To Whom It May Concern *scribble scribble* Interest:

A handful of us are currently planning an urban assault slash bridge cruise for downtown Sarasota tomorrow Fri 5/28/2010 probably getting rolling around 6pm or so. Send a post or a PM if you're interested and don't already have details!

Adam and myself are also planning a leisurely (or maybe mildly exhilarating) North Port Trails run as well, from the Lady Slipper trailhead around 10:30 rollout to the dam and back. All takers welcome as well.

Mt. Sarasota awaits,

billnye
John M

P.S. FrankA, oldschool Florida Unicycle Crew member and partial inspiration for my own muni escapades will be in town this weekend, hopefully make it to this ride (if not, we've got plans for Alafia on Sunday as well), and may well deny all the claims I've made in this postscript

Last edited by billnye; 2010-05-27 at 09:38 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 2010-05-27, 09:38 PM   #245
AccordNSX
Adam Coast Choppers

Send a message via AIM to AccordNSX
If you would like the chance to ride with me, beeull and I will be getting a late morning ride in at North Port. We'll be departing from the Ladyslipper trailhead at 10:30...

Exit 182 off I-75, head west, make right on Lady Slipper. Follow around until you see park on left.

Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...aaa7bfb0024b45
Old 2010-05-27, 09:40 PM   #246
billnye
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordNSX View Post
If you would like the chance to ride with me
That's a chance I guess I'll just have to take *puts on sunglasses*

YOWWWWWWWWWWW</csi>
Old 2010-05-31, 05:25 AM   #247
BrianP
Unicyclist

Send a message via Skype™ to BrianP
I rode Santos today and while a little muddy I had a great time and missed the crew
Old 2010-06-01, 09:28 PM   #248
billnye
Junior Mint

Sorry to hear that, Brian. Riding alone's not as fun, and it's certainly twice as dangerous.

The people putting together the Santos EPIC trip for Monday kinda had to bail on me, so I didn't get up there to test my mettle against a 40+ miler. I felt like I had to do something, at least. Jason had familial obligations, so I went back out to flatwoods solo and did a few laps there along the general lines of the Squiggy race course (probably in the neighborhood of 25mi total).

Sunday was a nice spin through one of the intermediate trails at Alafia (Bridges) with Jason and Frank A. as a -- warm -- reintroduction for Frank to the trails he was riding with me and Adam back when I was first cutting my teeth on muni. Great ride, Frank, hope you can get back up here sooner than later.

Saturday was a day off, and Friday was a handful of runs down the side of a local ex-landfill hill on Jason's mountainboard, then a loop of a waterfront park, back and forth across the Ringling Causeway bridge in Sarasota and a lap of St. Armands Circle (a tourist-y beachfront shopping district) with Jason and Ed. Frank and Adam both had various obstacles to their travel for that ride and weren't able to make it out, but we did our best to enjoy ourselves despite their absence

All in all, an excellent holiday weekend of riding even if not all plans went to spec. We're pondering another Florida Muni Meetup, possibly for late July between a couple Colorado vacations and the Asheville meet in the fall.

Aside from the Florida heat, how's that time frame sound to everybody?

billnye
John M
Old 2010-06-02, 11:32 PM   #249
Frank A.
downsizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnye View Post

...Sunday was a nice spin through one of the intermediate trails at Alafia (Bridges) with Jason and Frank A. as a -- warm -- reintroduction for Frank to the trails he was riding with me and Adam back when I was first cutting my teeth on muni. Great ride, Frank, hope you can get back up here sooner than later.
billnye
John M
John,
I had a great time! It was nice meeting Jason too.
Yes, I do hope I can get back up your way soon.
Thanks,
- Frank

p.s. Sorry to hear that your Monday ride didn't work out.

Frank A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 01:13 AM   #250
billnye
Junior Mint

Been a while without any posts on the ol' Florida Muni Meetup page, it looks like!

I had the pleasure last weekend of getting back out to Santos again, this time for Jason (littlemenjd)'s inaugural one-wheel trip out there. He's logged plenty of bike miles on the trails at Santos, but we all know how different that can be

We actually randomly met up with another unicyclist on the Vortex side of the trails, a friendly gentleman named Mike on a Nimbus muni who's ridden in the past with you, Brian, I believe. Great guy, led us through some back trails to refill and refuel at his house which saved us a trip back to the trailhead and allowed us to keep on truckin'

It'd be great if we can get another meet-up together, perhaps early- or mid-summer here while the chill'uns are out of school would increase the turn out. It looks like we may have a handful from the Florida Unicycle Contingent at Mulberry Gap at the end of July, and there's always the Asheville Muni Festival, but it'd be nice to get something together again in our "back yard" as well.

What do you guys think?

billnye
John M
Old 2011-06-07, 02:07 AM   #251
Frank A.
downsizing

Sounds good...

Hi John,
I'll be checking the thread. I'd like to get up for a meet.
- Frank

Frank A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, floridaverse, meetup, muni