Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2018-05-09, 11:13 PM   #76
leo
Vandewoestijne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghenzo View Post
Formula 1 drivers Hamilton and Rosberg, a few year ago

Nico dropped this picture in his YouTube channel last week.

In the meanwhile, 11 years later, both became worldchampion.

11 months ago I was unicycling towards my home and saw a quarter-million-pound costing Aston Martin standing at the same crossing, on it's way to Tommy Hilfiger to sign a new sponsor-deal. I expect Lewis -being a unicyclist- must have noticed me, but unfortunately no interaction.

+1 866-UNI-CYCL
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-14, 04:40 AM   #77
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super G View Post
And Mel Hall, revered by many as the most famous unicyclist of all time:
Not to dredge up the past, but I just noticed something about this picture (that Super G posted in 2010; photo probably from the early 1940s or so). I think they deliberately wanted the pose with the pedals horizontal. The ball of his slippery-soled dress shoe is comfortably on that front pedal, in the horizontal position. But he appears to be perfectly balanced. If true, it means he wasn't idling, and the shot was a set-up.

Not that there's anything wrong with that; it's an excellent unicyclists' portrait, I just don't think he's really idling. Maybe that would have made it necessary to use a powerful flash, which wouldn't have given the nicer lighting they wanted. I can make excuses all day; Mel Hall was a unicycling superhero.
Attached Images

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-14, 11:37 AM   #78
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

^ I recon he is leaning on the wall and there is a stop in front of the wheel just out of the shot. A bit of pressure on the front pedal and it would be locked in place.
Old 2018-05-14, 01:19 PM   #79
leo
Vandewoestijne

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
^ I recon he is leaning on the wall and there is a stop in front of the wheel just out of the shot. A bit of pressure on the front pedal and it would be locked in place.
I think the "perfect balance" is relative, lines aren't parallel. But true; it looks somewhat odd.
But why would you want to take all that risk?
Because shutter time wasn't like it later became?
His direction will be forward, not towards the wall. So unless the front of his wheel is blocked your theory would hold water.
What also very good could be the case is that the podium isn't level; in many theaters of that era that's more a rule than exception; it was meant to give the audience a better view, and especially magicians hate such floors.

+1 866-UNI-CYCL
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-15, 12:32 AM   #80
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

The picture was most likely taken in a studio of some sort, where the photographer could control lighting. But short of having lots of bright light (which takes away from lots of mood lighting options), a relatively slow shutter speed may have been needed to get the exposure right with sufficient depth of field to keep him in focus from tire to head.

That's why doing promotional photos for jugglers can be so challenging...

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2018-05-15 at 12:39 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-16, 08:37 PM   #81
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Never noticed this thread before. Pity, as I once did a lot of research. Surprising famous unicyclists include Jane Austen, Geoffrey Chaucer, Sir Walter Raleigh (founder of the eponymous bicycle manufacturing firm) and Sir Geoffrey Boycott.
Old 2018-05-17, 12:35 AM   #82
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Never noticed this thread before. Pity, as I once did a lot of research. Surprising famous unicyclists include Jane Austen, Geoffrey Chaucer, Sir Walter Raleigh (founder of the eponymous bicycle manufacturing firm) and Sir Geoffrey Boycott.
I can't see anything with a quick google of jane austen and geoffrey chaucer unicycle. Where did you find that?
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 01:24 AM   #83
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
I can't see anything with a quick google of jane austen and geoffrey chaucer unicycle. Where did you find that?
Also, the Wikipedia entry for Raleigh Bicycles contains no mention of Sir Walter, and he's unlikely to have had much involvement with a company that was founded 270 years after his death. However I think I remember hearing about him winning Queen Elizabeth's favor by giving her a ride across a mud puddle on his unicycle.

I suspect that he might be pulling our legs just a bit.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 03:12 AM   #84
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I think Chaucer even developed a more comfortable unicycle saddle around 1370 AD or so. I rode trails with Boycott when he was in the US on an international cricket tour.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 04:27 AM   #85
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Someone I don't see mentioned here yet:

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/gatorade...-mclaughlin-16
Quote:
Gatorade Female Athlete of the Year Sydney McLaughlin has rare talents away from the track
By: Jason Jordan, USA Today High School Sports | July 13, 2016

LOS ANGELES – If things don’t work out for Sydney McLaughlin on the track, and, just for the record, her winning Gatorade Female Athlete of the Year Tuesday night and qualifying for the Rio Olympics makes it pretty obvious that they will, she’s got a fallback plan that’s as random as it is cool.

“I can really juggle while riding a unicycle, so there’s always the circus!” McLaughlin joked just after winning her prestigious award at the L.A. Hotel. “It’s just a talent I picked up and got good at.”

McLaughlin’s, a rising senior at Union Catholic (Scotch Plains, N.J.), fifth grade teacher taught her how to juggle; she got so good at it that she’s volunteered in the summer to teach kids how to juggle ever since then.

Three years later, McLaughlin got a unicycle for Christmas and she figured she’d incorporate it with her juggling routine because, well, why not?

“I don’t know why I added it,” McLaughlin said. “I thought it’d be fun and I ended up getting good at doing both. Not a bad fallback plan, aye.”

Until Ringling Bros. calls, however, McLaughlin is solely focused on the Olympics.

On Sunday, she became the first 16-year-old to qualify since Rhonda Brady (1976) when she took third in the 400-meter hurdles at the Olympic trials in Oregon.

“I’m just really looking forward to the whole experience,” McLaughlin said. “Of course I’m gonna give it my best shot, but I plan to enjoy it and take it all in. I know there will be so much going on there.”

Good thing she’s got a background in juggling.
Funny that this topic would be revived now, when I just noticed the amazing gap between her 400 hurdles qualifying time and the rest of the field in the entry list for the 2018 East Preliminary meet of the NCAA Track & Field National Championships. (Our national collegiate athletics championships, for those outside the US.) She's had the world junior record in this event since 2016 and improved her own time twice so far this spring, and I wouldn't bet against her having the outright world record before she's done being a teenager.

She won't compete in the 100, 200, or flat 400 despite having top-10 qualifying times in each of those events, but will likely be on Kentucky's 4x100 and 4x400 relay teams.
Attached Images

LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
famous, unicyclists