Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-10-23, 09:15 PM   #31
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
They were also looking for a name for this mount back then. The suggestions where: Moving Mount, Modified Rolling Mount, Momentum Mount, Moving Static Mount...
So, 11 years later and zero progress on the Rolling Mount Variations Project.

We have the official definition of a Rolling Mount, and if anything, this thread reinforces to me the idea that if we call it a Rolling Mount, the wheel should never stop. So then it's all about do we care whether there's a name for the variation where the wheel does stop, but your body continues the forward motion? I think yes, as it's a good intermediate step in learning the Rolling Mount, and also probably the most efficient way to mount unicycles with large wheels. That's how I get on my Road uni nearly 100% of the time.

I like Momentum Mount, though another name I just thought of could be Catch-Up Mount. You are rolling the uni in front of you. Then it stops, you catch up, and the forward motion continues, uninterrupted. It's not such a literal name, but it's a fun name that people are more likely to remember. So that's one vote for Catch-Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbant View Post
Yes, I put my foot on the front pedal first. It's fast and scary, but when you do it, it's smooth.
Good stuff. Probably also doable on a 36", but definitely learnable on smaller wheels. I remember doing it way back in the day, to the point of proving the concept that the wheel doesn't have to stop, and that, once you get used to things, you can land at any pedal position and just continue pedaling from there. It's like you're joining the unicycle in flight. Your body catches up, and your feet synchronize with the pedals as they are approaching each other. You settle onto the seat and just keep the pedals moving as they were.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2015-10-23 at 09:17 PM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-23, 10:30 PM   #32
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
...yes I'd love to see a vid of that!
He sent me a clip, but it's on a 20", not a 36er. Doing the forward pedal mount on a 36er, your mounting foot would have to be mostly locked straight out in order to reach the forward facing pedal, making it all the more problematic on a 36er. And this is with the saddle lower than usual. The reason it's locked is because I am not yet sitting on the saddle and there is space between it and me while jumping up. My main point is that you can do a non-stop rolling mount on a 36er (as in the clip I posted earlier) when mounting to the back-facing pedal. The key is to do it in one fast, fluid motion, while not putting enough weight on the back pedal to [momentarily] stop the wheel.

Name:  dd.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  179.6 KB

Name:  36MNTs.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  142.3 KB

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2015-10-23 at 10:59 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-23, 10:41 PM   #33
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
.....but on a 36er you have to start on the pedal first, unless you're 7 feet tall, lol!
Attachment 66819
So if I wear my shoes with 10" thick soles, I should be able to mount the 36er like the 20"....
Have to try that tomorrow. Will be an interesting ride no doubt
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 02:06 AM   #34
Reid
Arroyo Grande, Ca

'I like Momentum Mount, though another name I just thought of could be Catch-Up Mount. You are rolling the uni in front of you. Then it stops, you catch up, and the forward motion continues, uninterrupted. It's not such a literal name, but it's a fun name that people are more likely to remember. So that's one vote for Catch-Up!'

The name has been confusing me. As a result of this thread I realized that I had learned( not mastered) the rolling mount when I thought I hadn't. So thats another vote for catch-up mount

20 inch Qu-Ax
26 inch Yuni
26 inch Flansberrium with 4.7 inch tire
Two 36 inch Nimbus titans, one for home (Ca) and one for work (Alaska)
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 02:08 AM   #35
Reid
Arroyo Grande, Ca

As you can see I haven't figured how to do partial quotes yet

20 inch Qu-Ax
26 inch Yuni
26 inch Flansberrium with 4.7 inch tire
Two 36 inch Nimbus titans, one for home (Ca) and one for work (Alaska)
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 09:26 AM   #36
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
So if I wear my shoes with 10" thick soles, I should be able to mount the 36er like the 20"....
Have to try that tomorrow. Will be an interesting ride no doubt

No, because wearing 10" thick soles means having to jump 10" higher to get your foot on top of the pedal.

Last edited by unibokk; 2015-10-24 at 09:27 AM.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 11:02 AM   #37
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
'I like Momentum Mount, though another name I just thought of could be Catch-Up Mount. You are rolling the uni in front of you. Then it stops, you catch up, and the forward motion continues, uninterrupted. It's not such a literal name, but it's a fun name that people are more likely to remember. So that's one vote for Catch-Up!'

The name has been confusing me. As a result of this thread I realized that I had learned( not mastered) the rolling mount when I thought I hadn't. So thats another vote for catch-up mount
Momentum mount is not self explanatory. I agree that in a rolling mount, the wheel should not stop, but it's fine by me that it stops a little. At the end of the day, the movement is initiated by rolling the wheel and then mounting. My 6 years old nephew understood that concept without having to enter any explanation.

Or maybe we should call it the walking mount, since hey, we're walking behind the uni.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 02:10 PM   #38
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

I prefer "non-stop rolling mount" since it describes exactly what it is. "Continuous rolling mount" works as well.

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-25, 09:53 PM   #39
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmolagin View Post
I've mounted my 36er that way, and it's not that hard to do. If you do it that way it's possible to keep the wheel rolling 100% of the mount.
Here it is!

pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-26, 08:10 AM   #40
unibokk
Unicyclist

Nice ... Oh! but that's not a 36er
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-26, 07:48 PM   #41
Superbant
Unicyclist

Location: Far, far away in a place with a yard and two floors and a basement and a few unicycles and lots of books and tall trees and good food and some computers and lots of unicycle.com stickers and plenty of misspellings and bad grammar and run on sentances
Yeah, I don't have a 36er, otherwise I would try it.
Old 2015-10-27, 11:09 PM   #42
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
So thats another vote for catch-up mount
For a total of two! Now I suppose we should think up what the mechanics should be for a Mustard Mount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
No, because wearing 10" thick soles means having to jump 10" higher to get your foot on top of the pedal.
Must be a hell of a Frankenstein costume!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Momentum mount is not self explanatory.
True. It's hard to be self explanitory and have interesting (or short) names. It's also fine by me that a wheel stops briefly in a Rolling Mount (esp. with big wheel), but that goes against the basic definition of Rolling Mount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox
Or maybe we should call it the walking mount, since hey, we're walking behind the uni.
Speak for yourself.
It can be slow walking, fast walking, or an all-out sprint. It's hard to mount a 36" at a slow walk; you need a bit more momentum, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
I prefer "non-stop rolling mount" since it describes exactly what it is. "Continuous rolling mount" works as well.
Woah, you're proposing new names for the mount that already has a name. Those would be good to differentiate it from the existing name, but I think the existing name (Rolling Mount) is appropriate for the one where the wheel never stops. Or at least, it's not appropriate for one where the wheel does.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-27, 11:45 AM   #43
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Interesting discussion.
I have only one ride experience with my 36er so far and until yesterday I only used a free mount immediately followed by few hops until I let myself falling forward before pedaling.
Because I use a old Qu-ax and because of my lack of experience on 36er the wheel seams very loud to me and I find the very first half spins very hard if I use anything smaller than 137 cranks.
This point is important for what I will say further.

Yesterday I tried during 2h30 what I call static jump mount and rolling jump mount (with or without the wheel stopping when I land the back pedal).
Finished by being successful at both on about 8 out of 10 tries.

What I call static jump mount is jumping on the back pedal without making the wheel rolling at all before jumping, I just stretch myself 2 steps back and use my body speed to jump on the left pedal.

What I call rolling jump mount should be called "static rolling jump mount" as the wheel is rolling when I run 3 steps before my jump, but it stops when I jump (I do it by relaxing my arms when I jump, letting them flex at the same speed I approach the saddle-up position).

It happened few times that I did a real rolling jump mount, landing on the 30° angled back pedal, being lifted by the still rolling wheel.

What I noticed is that those 3 kinds of jump mounts make the first pedaling more easy.
It is the case on my static jump mount, but it is more obvious in the "static rolling mount".

My explanation is the energy transfer
when something is moving and is stopped, the energy is transfered to what can still move.

So I think that even if you stop the wheel when you jump on it, the energy of the rolling wheel just before it stops + the energy of your running body will be transfered to the frame, like MuniAddict pointed out, and that explains why I find the first half spins of the wheel much easier than from freemount + hops, and even easier than with the static jump mount.

About the "real rolling mount", I think that if you use part of the rolling wheel to rise your body on the saddle, it will be easier to mount the unicycle but the energy used to land you up is not used to make the first pedaling easier.

Whether you stop or not the wheel when you jump on it, the energy involved is never lost on my opinion, it is only transfered in different ways.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
definition, mount, rolling