Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-09-05, 06:39 PM   #31
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
San Francisco Chronicle - June 2, 1909
Will Cross Country Riding a Unicycle
Court Edwards, who is to start for New York on a unicycle on Wednesday, arrived in town yesterday morning from is home in Eureka. He will travel by way of Stockton, Sacramento, Reno, Ogden, Cheyenne, Chicago, Toledo, Buffalo. The wheel that he rides weighs thirty pounds “all on”, which includes a camera. It is thirty inches in diameter, fitted with cement tire. Edwards will carry his favorite cornet, on which instrument he is an accomplished performer. Edwards will be accompanied by Ray Kent on a bicycle. Kent is also a cornetist of ability, and the pair expect to while away some dull moments by playing duets and otherwise amusing the natives along the line. Edwards a few years ago rode from Fresno to San Francisco on a unicycle, doing seventy-five miles the last day of the ride. His total riding time for that trip was thirty-seven hours. He expects to average between thirty and forty miles a day on the Eastern trip, but will endeavor to establish a record of 100 miles some day when the roads permit it.
What do you think they meant by "cement tire"?
Old 2017-09-05, 07:37 PM   #32
LanceB
This space available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
I'm guessing it meant "rubber cement," or, an early rubber tire. Rubber tires were still pretty new back then.
Old 2017-09-05, 11:51 PM   #33
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
I was curious about that too. A (very) brief Google search brings up loads of listings associating the word "cement" with bike tires as the glue that's used. It seems always to be called cement, so I'm thinking they meant tubular tires.

At first I though it was just something they did the hard way back in the old days, and gutted their way through it, like riding on solid rubber tires, with no gearing, etc. Or what my 36" wheel feels like at the end of a long Muni ride.

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-06, 03:03 AM   #34
JimT
Unicyclist

I wondered about the cement tire also. From the photos of Court's uni and a history of bicycle tires of the time the tire does appear to be a pneumatic tire.

It seems that tires were cemented to the rim and I bet that is what was on unicycle.

From this page: http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/tyres/p...le-tube-tyres/
"Single-tubes also brought the expense of gluing, unlike Dunlops and clinchers, which were mounted without tools. Gluing was tricky, and the bond had to resist complex forces. Tires frequently came loose, sometimes just from standing in the sun, and could easily pull off the valve stem. More important was the possibility of “rolling” a tire off the rim while cornering. Tire mounting was best done by a shop, where it was among the “most frequent jobs” and required a flame-heated cement kettle."

I also see near the bottom of the page that they refer to cemented tires.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-06, 02:27 PM   #35
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Thanks for all the additional info, guys. We have come a long way! I kind of wondered if it meant rubber, but the word cement usually refers to either an adhesive, or something like concrete. Sounds very plausible that they're referring to a pneumatic tire held on with rubber cement, and it was probably mentioned because it was the coolest and newest technology at the time. I could easily see shortening it to just "cement" to describe the type of tire used. Kind of like "cotterless" to describe square taper cranks. To an outsider, or those in the not-so-distant future, the word by itself might be difficult to understand. "Frank Smith's cotterless 125s broke during his ride...."
Old 2017-09-15, 04:31 AM   #36
jogi
vegan rider

another picture
Attached Images

www.ridetriton.com
jogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
court, edwards, supreme, unicyclist