Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-08-06, 05:43 PM   #2311
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Pretty sure mine is aluminum frame and 25.4 mm seat post, so not quite as vintage as yours. Mine is said to have been ridden in Ride the Lobster so it goes back a ways nonetheless.

Have you ridden it yet? Is that "got" as in physically in your possession now or are you waiting for it to arrive?
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 06:45 PM   #2312
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Yes, my Coker is really old. Probably the original model. Not sure anything on it is upgradeable. Not only is the seat tube narrow I think the hub is also smaller than current ones. It does have a Nightrider tire though.

Picked it up yesterday and took my first ride today. Had one brief beginning ride against a fence and then took off. I'm really surprised at how easy it is to ride at a manageable pace. Turning wasn't difficult at all. The big challenge will be unassisted mounting. I'm not great at it with my 29er so the 36er seems impossible. I normally do a static(ish) mount but I'm not sure that's possible given my height (or lack of).
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-07, 02:11 PM   #2313
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Might try the angled mount that Liz Wilson does.
Old 2017-08-07, 03:33 PM   #2314
TMason
Unicyclist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNX79lhVGCU&t=16s

I'm a fan of the tire grab to get on my 36er. It's easy to do even when really tired.
TMason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-07, 04:38 PM   #2315
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Might try the angled mount that Liz Wilson does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMason View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNX79lhVGCU&t=16s

I'm a fan of the tire grab to get on my 36er. It's easy to do even when really tired.
You can combine an angle mount and tire grab. I do that sometimes.

I like UniMyra's tutorial. Easy to learn, effective, works for short riders.

Here is another old tire grab video we shot for Mr. Bond.

Learning how to ride slow and hopping on a 36 will really help with mounting issues. Ride up to a stop or near stop, pendulum forward, ride away. Then add a hop or two when you can. You will be able to salvage a less than perfect mount with a hop or twist and then ride away.

Joe Myers

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-08, 03:23 AM   #2316
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Thanks for the tips Joe and TMason! Glad we have so many options. Worst case scenario, I can use a bucket like that Japanese guy who rode from LA to Orlando.
Old 2017-08-08, 03:47 PM   #2317
UnderTheLake
I like pavement.

Quote:
Thanks for the tips Joe and TMason! Glad we have so many options. Worst case scenario, I can use a bucket like that Japanese guy who rode from LA to Orlando.
Bucket video here: http://youtu.be/gylsnKm_gR4

Thread here: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums//sh...d.php?t=115474. Bucket video link on page 5 or so.
UnderTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-08, 05:11 PM   #2318
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Yes, my Coker is really old. Probably the original model. Not sure anything on it is upgradeable. Not only is the seat tube narrow I think the hub is also smaller than current ones. It does have a Nightrider tire though.
It's not old, it's a classic! Nothing wrong with it, and many upgrade options, if you choose to go that way.

I got my first 36" uni in WA, in 2002 at the end of Unicon 11. Unicycle.com hadn't sold their display/demo "Coker Deluxe" by the end of the two conventions, so it went to me. The Deluxe version came with an upgraded rim (black Airfoil) and a rim brake. I later added a Wyganowski handle (nothing on the market yet otherwise), and rode it in Ride The Lobster also.

If yours has a shiny chrome rim, it may be all original. Those rims didn't work with brakes, I think (not made for them). But my original Coker hub and wheel build are still just fine after a ton of miles. It's semi-retired now, having been used by my friend for about a year, until he finally bought himself a KH recently.

You can upgrade pedals, tire, rim and seat. You might be a little limited on the seat, but maybe not. If they make a KH-friendly post for that, you might even be able to add one of his handles. Or just keep it "stock" and get a newer one if you like riding it.

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-11, 03:40 AM   #2319
1wheelonthefly
Unicyclist

Free mounts

I've been relearning how to free mount on this 29inch. The last few days I've been trying to get my feet into the same place every time I mount. And how much of it is about timing. Now just 800 more times and I might be some what good about it. Ha!
1wheelonthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-13, 12:51 AM   #2320
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wheelonthefly View Post
I've been relearning how to free mount on this 29inch. The last few days I've been trying to get my feet into the same place every time I mount. And how much of it is about timing. Now just 800 more times and I might be some what good about it. Ha!
Keep practicing. I often have to shift my foot after mounting.
Old 2017-08-14, 02:25 AM   #2321
krjames
Unicyclist

Quote:
I'm not great at it with my 29er so the 36er seems impossible. I normally do a static(ish) mount but I'm not sure that's possible given my height (or lack of).
I found the 36 to be a bit easier than the 29 to static mount, presume due to it's greater momentum. I have a feeling that the rolling mount is the most reliable way to go but I have never got comfortable with a simple jump mount on smaller wheels....

As for height, I get to see the little kids hopping on to their 36's and riding away no problem, so depressing And they go fast
"If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV."
— Homer Simpson
Haven't got the karate suit
krjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-20, 01:04 PM   #2322
Alucard
Unicyclist

Hi Gang

After I attempted the road race at Horwich I treated myself to a new unicycle.

I didn’t do very well in the race, in fact I only rode 1 mile
I upd on the last bend and I couldn’t for the life of me get back on again. Boy it was hot that day !
Anyway, to cheer myself up I've got the new 32” Nimbus. So far I'm liking it very much. Only been on grass as I've been riding it at the field where Bobbs flies his RC planes. It is a lot easier to get on than I thought it would be. Looking forward to trying it on tarmac

https://youtu.be/L7KXikLJVZg

Here's a quick video. This was my 3rd attempt at riding. I started off on a slope, but now I don’t need to. It could be down to the fact that I now wear varifocals, but the wheel doesn’t look as big as at first if you see what I mean so it's not as daunting to freemount.

Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-20, 03:22 PM   #2323
LanceB
This space available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Anyway, to cheer myself up I've got the new 32” Nimbus. So far I'm liking it very much. Only been on grass as I've been riding it at the field where Bobbs flies his RC planes. It is a lot easier to get on than I thought it would be. Looking forward to trying it on tarmac
Glad to see you're enjoying the 32"! Nice video! (I believe you will find riding it on the road to be much easier than on the grass.)

Cheers!
Old 2017-09-20, 06:11 PM   #2324
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Anyway, to cheer myself up I've got the new 32” Nimbus. So far I'm liking it very much.
Not many things that can't be fixed with a new unicycle. Congratulations on the new wheel! 32" looks like a really fun size.

Quote:
It could be down to the fact that I now wear varifocals, but the wheel doesn’t look as big as at first if you see what I mean so it's not as daunting to freemount.
Funny how much things like that can change the experience. I remember very well the feeling moving first to a 26" and then later up to a 36", of standing beside it and wondering "Dear God, what have I gotten myself into?"
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-21, 06:07 PM   #2325
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Hi Gang

After I attempted the road race at Horwich I treated myself to a new unicycle.

Anyway, to cheer myself up I've got the new 32” Nimbus. So far I'm liking it very much.
I bought that one too earlier this year. It is much easier to mount that the 36inch and also coz it is closer to my 29" muni Nimbus which I have most experience with. I put some handlebars on the 32inch. It truly is a comfy uni. Hopefully it will bring you as much joy as it does me.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journal, learning