Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-09-16, 05:09 AM   #7831
Monette
Unicyclist

Young British gentleman resting along the trail as I come around a switchback, "That ought to be a sport"
My reply, "it is a sport"
Him, "wow"
Monette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-17, 01:51 AM   #7832
song
Unicyclist

A stern black man, leading a little girl and a boy by the hand. Not one of those “Look, sweetie, it’s a you-nee-cycle” kind of parents. He was tall, strong and serious, and seemed in a bit of a hurry to get wherever they were going.

I had just ridden down a flight of stairs, and was preparing to sidehop down the next, slightly steeper flight of stairs, when suddenly the little boy tugged the man’s hand so hard that he brought him to a complete stop. He pointed at me and said “Look, daddy, he’s doin’ magic!”
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-18, 09:04 AM   #7833
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpsoft View Post
The dog comes barking at me and the owner says : " I has never seen that! "
No it was not a typo, that's the way they speak...

pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-19, 06:13 PM   #7834
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Oh Well...

I was passing through some single track trails along the banks of the American River on part of a longer ride. As I was coming to a trail intersection, I could see a mom and young son (5 or 6yo), a ways off, approaching the intersection from a different trail. I sped up to cross the trail and get out of their way.

As I was crossing in front of the pair, I heard the mom offer the usual “Oh wow; look at that, He’s on a unicycle! Cool!” I actually felt pretty good about my showing, managing a hop over a small ledge and then cranking hard up a rise on the other side of the trail; I’m thinking, “Sweet, I might be inspiring the next generation of unicycle adventurers!”

Then, as I’m riding away I hear the kid say “Neat mom. That’s just like clowns have!” ::SIGH:: Dammit.
Old 2017-09-25, 11:47 AM   #7835
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

While riding slowly with my dog at the "Streets Alive" fest - big city street closed to traffic so people can play in the street:

somebody in a vendor booth: "You lost half your bike!"

me: "And where's the other half of my octopus?!"
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-25, 04:21 PM   #7836
Alice Arctan
rhymes with dark tan

Impromptu?
Alice Arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-25, 08:25 PM   #7837
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Arctan View Post
Impromptu?
I invented it on the spot, but I totally intend to reuse it!

(starting with posting it here!)
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-26, 12:37 PM   #7838
Alice Arctan
rhymes with dark tan

Would that we were all so quick.
Old 2017-09-30, 05:10 PM   #7839
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Out on the 36 today. I came to a bit where I had to go up-DOWN-up-DOWN- splash!-up in quick succession and I met two lads laboriously pushing a trailbike (motorbike) in the opposite direction - that is, up the series of obstacles. Why they were pushing the trailbike was unclear; I could easily ride it on my road bike.

Be that as it may, they were clearly struggling when I sailed past them on the 36, splashing through the deep muddy puddle at the bottom. I heard one say to the other, "Huh, I'd rather be on that!"
Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-01, 05:10 PM   #7840
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

a classic reply:
as we were riding in a wood near Paris a guy tried to ask Tom Holub : "where is your other wheel?" (in french)
me arriving: "here it comes ..." (I was riding behind him)
Old 2017-10-01, 06:38 PM   #7841
Alice Arctan
rhymes with dark tan

trail biker seeing me on ground: Are you alright?
me: Yeah, thanks.
~ seeing my Flans: You're definitely alright.
Old 2017-10-01, 07:14 PM   #7842
Setonix
Unicyclist

Today when riding in the forest, a guy on a racebike with a long white beard said "Handen aan het stuur, jongeman" (Hands on the steer, young man) in a very serious way. Was kind funny, I guess with the wheel going zig zag, I looked like a drunk.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-01, 09:22 PM   #7843
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Afraid I had one... well, two... of my more misanthropic moments today.

I was jut congratulating myself on having been more or less ignored by everyone I had passed, with no stupid comments, when I came up behind three lads who were walking three abreast and apparently deliberately blocking my path. I was half expecting trouble when one of them turned and politely stood aside. I thanked him as I passed.

Then his mate spoiled it by shouting, in quick succession: "Jump! Bunneeeop! FALL!"

I had been willing to ignore the first two words, but some little shiteforbrains telling me to fall hit a nerve and, with my best descending cadence of contempt, I told him not to be a c*** and left his mates to finish the job by laughing at his discomfiture.

A few minutes later, two dog walkers chatting on the path. I was about to ask them to excuse me when the male looked at me and a look of triumph crossed his face. Not for my benefit, but clearly to impress his female companion, he shouted, "You've lost your back wheel." Taking an instant dislike to his attitude, I remarked with some asperity, "But I don't shout stupid things at strangers."

His female companion then joined in with some, "Hey, hey there's no need for that,"

And, lo! there was mist and it was red. "I've had thirty years of that crap. Mind your manners!"

I regretted it almost immediately, but frankly I am sick of people who think it's OK to make a joke at the expense of a stranger just to big themselves up. I don't sing Nellie the Elephant to fat people, or shout "You don't get many of those to a pound, darling" to large breasted women. I don't sing "Hi ho, hi ho" to dwarves. I just want to get on with my ride and be treated no differently from how the same person would treat any other passing stranger.

Call me a miserable intolerant old bugger if you like. I am.
Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-02, 06:23 AM   #7844
Fat D
Unicyclist

Morning Folks,

Yesterday was my first reasonable ride in public with a mate. I've been riding for two months. We have a park close by that has a walking / cycling / running loop. Off to one side is a small skate park and a children's playground.

Whilst passing the park I heard a very excited small child shout "Look, clowns". That was followed by a little kid on the path in front of us who was clearly looking for the right word when he shouted "Unicorns!". Get in. I'll take that. My good lady was with us on her bicycle thought it was great.
Fat D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-02, 09:46 AM   #7845
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I told him not to be a c*** and left his mates to finish the job by laughing at his discomfiture.
Getting somebody's mates to laugh at them is always a win!

Quote:
A few minutes later, two dog walkers chatting on the path. I was about to ask them to excuse me when the male looked at me and a look of triumph crossed his face. Not for my benefit, but clearly to impress his female companion, he shouted, "You've lost your back wheel." Taking an instant dislike to his attitude, I remarked with some asperity, "But I don't shout stupid things at strangers."
I'm sure it's been said in here, but I reckon the best answer to that to somebody who needs taking down a peg or two is "I left it at your mum's"

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle