Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-12-20, 09:10 PM   #1
gordito8me
70% trials

Send a message via AIM to gordito8me
sif muni

I've been doing alot of muni recently and have noticed that while keeping my seat at optimum height for technical riding, I have to go sif in order to get over any logs over 8 inches tall even if I do a rolling hop. I've been working on making the transition smooth so basically what I do is I see a log, keep riding and go sif, hop onto the log straight on (not turning 90 degrees before hopping) and hopping on top of the log or straight over it. It doesn't slow me down at all it just uses a little more energy than a normal hop. Is this a bad habbit that I need to stop?
gordito8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 09:12 PM   #2
onelesscar
I get places on 75% fewer wheels

a bad habit? pshh...muni isn't about technique, do whatever gets you down the mountain. Muni is about having fun!
Old 2006-12-20, 11:38 PM   #3
James_Potter
Unicyclist

For MUni trials, or natural trials. seat in front works as well as it does for urban trials...but for standard XC MUni, you should just keep the seat in and riiiiiiiiide.
James_Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 12:29 AM   #4
smcmorrow
Tyler took that picture I think...

Send a message via AIM to smcmorrow
That's sort of a dilema. I'm sure you would lose your speed if you went SIF, but if it's easier, that could be a solution. My solution would be to do rolling hops. I can get higher with a rolling hop than anything else, and you don't lose you speed either, sometime you accelerate.

onelesscar was right about just getting down the mountain though, that's the main idea.
Old 2006-12-21, 12:36 AM   #5
Sponge
Unicyclist

SIF is not as good for 'pecking'.

seat-in allows more flow into the whole riding. Imagine: Blast through the woods full pace seat-in, quickly do a rolling hop, roll out of it fast and smooth.

^Doing that SIF would feel much slower, and be more effort than seat-in. For me personally, and for most riders out there, I bet you feel at least a little clumsy if you do SIF for the smallest of things. For things like Muni, I'd do seat-in all the way so I can keep slow in to riding as well as speed.

Imagine someone doing a street run entirely SIF (eg. SIF riding to crankflip variations and grinding etc, then rolling out)... that would be much slower, and a lot more sketchy looking, with less of a flair to it.
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 03:29 AM   #6
Unitik908
The Lone Clothespin....

Send a message via AIM to Unitik908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge
SIF is not as good for 'pecking'.

seat-in allows more flow into the whole riding. Imagine: Blast through the woods full pace seat-in, quickly do a rolling hop, roll out of it fast and smooth.

^Doing that SIF would feel much slower, and be more effort than seat-in. For me personally, and for most riders out there, I bet you feel at least a little clumsy if you do SIF for the smallest of things. For things like Muni, I'd do seat-in all the way so I can keep slow in to riding as well as speed.

Imagine someone doing a street run entirely SIF (eg. SIF riding to crankflip variations and grinding etc, then rolling out)... that would be much slower, and a lot more sketchy looking, with less of a flair to it.
that may be true... but once someone master its... you have A LOT more room for flair distance and all around coolness i think.

imho my friend, i think your onto something.

nowhere in the rule book of MUni does it say NO SIF

Chase
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

Last edited by THE dave and Sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 PM
Unitik908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 03:36 AM   #7
gordito8me
70% trials

Send a message via AIM to gordito8me
another question, is pecking used commonly in hilly trails or is it kind of a slacker thing or a last resort?
gordito8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 03:44 AM   #8
Borgschulze
2 Wheel Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Borgschulze
I'd say it's a last resort for a hill too steep to climb.
Old 2006-12-21, 04:42 AM   #9
tomtrevor
Unicyclist

I do muni fairly reguaraly and lately I've been experimenting with lots of different hops to get over logs. Rolling hops dont always work as the cranks are unlikely to be lined up perfectly. So I do a rolling hop right before the log(s) then land (just before the log(s)) and without rolling at all hop again over the log(s). It's kinda weird at first but it works well. I haven't really tried sif at all because it take a lot longer to do. I think practise and a low enough seat to hop high is all you need. Then experiment with heaps of different techniques and then you'll have heaps of different hopping techniques that can be used for different situations.
Old 2006-12-21, 04:44 AM   #10
madmattunipro
Off Balance Unicyclist

I'd say if you can't get over anything over 8" high without going SIF, then you've got a problem. It may just be that you need to let your basic riding skill catch up with what you want to do, or maybe you do need to force yourself to try different seat hights.

I can hop nearly as high rolling with seat in as I can static SIF. I think that a lot of people try to get into SIF way too early, instead of developing seat in and rolling hops first. It seems that the reputation of SIF gets a lot of people doing it when they can barely hop otherwise, and then they have problems with the obstacles, often found in MUni, where it is more convienient and flowy to have a strong rolling hop.

Really though, all you really need to worry about is letting your style develop naturally. Don't force the SIF just because it's a status thing(or at least seems to be), or if you like, go totally SIF. It's up to you. And what is right for you is right only for you, everyone is different.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com

Last edited by madmattunipro; 2006-12-21 at 04:46 AM.
madmattunipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 04:54 AM   #11
Evan Byrne
Why am i here? I dont unicycle.

Send a message via AIM to Evan Byrne Send a message via Yahoo to Evan Byrne
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmattunipro
I'd say if you can't get over anything over 8" high without going SIF, then you've got a problem. It may just be that you need to let your basic riding skill catch up with what you want to do, or maybe you do need to force yourself to try different seat hights.

I can't go higher than 8" without going sif.
Evan Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 04:55 AM   #12
Spencer Hochberg
!

Send a message via AIM to Spencer Hochberg Send a message via MSN to Spencer Hochberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Byrne
I can't go higher than 8" without going sif.
I thought you rolling hopped that loading dock?
Spencer Hochberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 04:57 AM   #13
Evan Byrne
Why am i here? I dont unicycle.

Send a message via AIM to Evan Byrne Send a message via Yahoo to Evan Byrne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Hochberg
I thought you rolling hopped that loading dock?

Ohh this is rolling? Yeah i can do 25" rolling. static like 5"
Evan Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 05:59 AM   #14
skrobo
jumps stuff

Send a message via AIM to skrobo
uhh
just get insane rolling hops where you can hop something like that from 5 feet away... problem solved

haha JK

a friend of mine is getting really good at going SIF and back while jumping ... you just have to get used to it, if you do a crankspin when you know you won't make it from a distance that may help too
94cm Highest Hop (rolling)
308cm Longest Hop (10 feet)
210cm Static Flat Gap
skrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 06:22 AM   #15
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordito8me
I've been doing alot of muni recently and have noticed that while keeping my seat at optimum height for technical riding, I have to go sif in order to get over any logs over 8 inches tall even if I do a rolling hop. I've been working on making the transition smooth so basically what I do is I see a log, keep riding and go sif, hop onto the log straight on (not turning 90 degrees before hopping) and hopping on top of the log or straight over it. It doesn't slow me down at all it just uses a little more energy than a normal hop. Is this a bad habbit that I need to stop?
Crank length is also a factor. Longer cranks will give you more of a gap between the seat and your but when standing on the pedals with the cranks horizontal. Shorter cranks give you less of a gap. So with shorter cranks you don't have as much room to scrunch down for the jump.

Also, what do you consider to be an optimal seat height for technical riding? Is the seat low or high? For XC riding I raise the seat so I can pedal more efficiently. For technical riding I lower the seat so I can jump better and absorb bumps and drops better. The lower seat for technical riding isn't so good for pedaling efficiency, but you have to make some tradeoffs for different forms of muni.

I have a quick release seatpost clamp on my muni so I can easily change seat height as needed. If I'm going to be doing a long fire road climb I may raise the seat. If the trails is XC style I may raise the seat. For the technical or bumpy riding I'll lower the seat.
john_childs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muni, sif