Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-06-16, 08:57 PM   #46
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Lean the uni back with a hinge at your hip. (body leaning forward)
As you get better, your back will straighten.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 04:13 AM   #47
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoeheadted View Post
Lean the uni back with a hinge at your hip. (body leaning forward)
As you get better, your back will straighten.
It makes sense! Low degrees descents I lean forward while braking as I do in flat land... now I 'll change my style for steeper ones!
Using brake gives a completely different appeal to my daily routine! Less knees fatigues
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 01:25 PM   #48
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
I'm not able to stop without using only legs... that's why I must use brake
Now you write this I wonder, can you hop? Or better can you ride, stop and hop. I used to only be able to hop by riding very slowly and then begin the hop, but now, even though I have a bit of speed, I use that momentum to hop into the air and keep hopping. The hopping also happens on the same spot. I use hops to turn around 180 degrees, which I find easier than swing the wheel around. I don't use my brake for any of this. Just hang back to slow down and shift to hopping stance. And the next step is to ride away again after the last hop. No brake needed.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 01:35 PM   #49
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIb View Post
The law in my country states a bicycle must have a brake on front and rear wheel. Thus a unicycle is not a bike, but a toy. Toys belong on the sidewalk/pavement.
I don't mind riding my 24" muni on the sidewalk, it's quite agile, but my 36"er I ride as if I were riding a bike. Cycle path or the side of the road
I have not yet been stopped by the police
Yes the that law is the same btw DK and NL. Then again, there is nearly no police in DK. I've lived there for 8 years and sped the motorways more than once. All I ever got was a parking ticket. Not sure what the police do in DK. Also in NL I haven't been stopped by the police while on uni. I mostly ride on cycle paths, which are safe from cars. Sometimes I wonder what I would do if there was a club of peds on the pavement. I might just ask if they can make way for me. Otherwise dismount backwards, walk past and mount again.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 05:04 AM   #50
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Now you write this I wonder, can you hop? Or better can you ride, stop and hop. I used to only be able to hop by riding very slowly and then begin the hop, but now, even though I have a bit of speed, I use that momentum to hop into the air and keep hopping. The hopping also happens on the same spot. I use hops to turn around 180 degrees, which I find easier than swing the wheel around. I don't use my brake for any of this. Just hang back to slow down and shift to hopping stance. And the next step is to ride away again after the last hop. No brake needed.
I was learnig about one week before deciding to improve brake use. I can slow down or stop (without brakes only if I'm not fast riding), make a little hop and start again. I cannot control my hop so I can make 90° turn only on my strong side. But I've stopped trying to hop untill brake mastery

Last edited by Vogelfrei80; 2018-06-18 at 05:05 AM.
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, exercises, related