Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2018-08-29, 06:32 PM   #1141
Setonix
Unicyclist

I hadn't ridden my 36" in 3 weeks because of family priorities. Today I decided to put it in the car and after work stop at my training-parking lot. Mounting seemed to go pretty easy and then to think that half a year ago I would just park the monster in the shed and only ride smaller wheel sizes. After my thread about wanting to get longer cranks, it became clear that I basically should just stick with my 150mm cranks and put some more work into mounting. This finally worked out and now I can safely say I can ride any size of unicycle without much effort. I have sizes ranging from 19 to 36". This gives the freedom that I can just choose any uni for any ride I have in mind. I can also hop with all the sizes.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-04, 02:05 PM   #1142
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

I‘m getting closer to the kick up mount now (it seems). Today I managed with a 60%-success rate to get seated, with the step-up-pedal in 6-o‘clock position and the kick up foot on the other pedal (12-o‘clock). Prior to today I never even got the seat above knee height.
I can’t ride out of it yet, as I do this on grass to avoid stupid injuries and due to the pedals being in a non-power-position.
I‘m too chicken to go on the pavement yet.
I stopped practicing this because of my shin hurting, as the seat rubs across my lower leg with quite some force on the way up. I’m probably making some beginners‘ mistakes.
I‘ll never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-05, 09:39 AM   #1143
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
I‘m getting closer to the kick up mount now (it seems). Today I managed with a 60%-success rate to get seated, with the step-up-pedal in 6-o‘clock position and the kick up foot on the other pedal (12-o‘clock). Prior to today I never even got the seat above knee height.
I can’t ride out of it yet, as I do this on grass to avoid stupid injuries and due to the pedals being in a non-power-position.
I‘m too chicken to go on the pavement yet.
I stopped practicing this because of my shin hurting, as the seat rubs across my lower leg with quite some force on the way up. I’m probably making some beginners‘ mistakes.
Maybe you should challenge yourself a bit more and try the kick up mount with a 36".
Anyways good going. Seems like a difficult skill to master.
Old 2018-09-05, 03:38 PM   #1144
Grrw
Short guy, short wheel

Today (my friend)...

Can I make a post about my friend? He's been unicycling longer than I have (since about 2008), but he never learned to free mount.

Well, he texted me saying that he was finally able to get on and ride off without holding on to something for the first time in a decade with my advice! I just wanted to share that I'm so happy for him, and I would recommend that everyone help teach their friends who are willing to learn. Seeing them succeed is one of the best feelings there is.
Grrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-06, 12:51 AM   #1145
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrw View Post
Can I make a post about my friend? He's been unicycling longer than I have (since about 2008), but he never learned to free mount.

Well, he texted me saying that he was finally able to get on and ride off without holding on to something for the first time in a decade with my advice! I just wanted to share that I'm so happy for him, and I would recommend that everyone help teach their friends who are willing to learn. Seeing them succeed is one of the best feelings there is.
That's really wonderful! Wow what a help an experienced person next to you would be for anyone. Your friend is lucky!

I would be amazed if I saw anyone in my town riding a uni, but I'd probably snarl up traffic trying to get his attention and say hello if I did.
Old 2018-09-09, 04:54 PM   #1146
Gm7dha
Unicyclist

Been unicycling for 15 days now, with a few days off, generally 30-40mins per day.

Today i managed to ride 2x 3.6mile loops of my local trails! Gravel, mud, puddles, gravelly hills, downhills, managed it all apart from a few of the steeper ones! Freemounting 1st time 7 or 8 times out of 10.

1st loop probably 7 or 8 dismounts, but some were for horses/dogs etc.. 2nd loop 4 or 5 dismounts.

Successful day!
Gm7dha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-10, 06:27 PM   #1147
Gm7dha
Unicyclist

Made a 1.7 mile loop without any dismounts in the same muddy wet and rainy park today... Some good wee climbs, descents, and a few stepdowns to negotiate in-between, over bridges etc... Loved it!

16 days from picking up a unicycle, happy with progress so far.
Old 2018-09-11, 11:59 AM   #1148
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Near the end of my training session today I decided to give some preliminary exercises for the kick up mount a try.
It took about 20 tries to get to the level of the last session (getting seated), and after another 10 tries I placed my feet on both pedals.
Suddenly, I hit a sensational balance at one try and rode out of it - my first kick up mount!!! I decided to call it a day and ended my day‘s practice.
I‘ll never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-19, 12:06 PM   #1149
Gm7dha
Unicyclist

Never properly tried before but gave rolling mounts a try and actually they seem easier than freemounts... Essentially the same thing but with momentum, which helps!

Managed a few rides down a few steps but confidence and control weren't quite 100% (or even 50% lol)

Tackling Ben Lawers, Scotland's 10th highest peak, at the weekend.
Old 2018-09-19, 06:34 PM   #1150
aj1500
Unicyclist

I have to say that is the most amazing progress report I have ever seen
after only 15 days at only 30 to 40 mins a day from picking up a uni your doing a mile or more and can free mount, then a week later you can do rolling mounts and ride down stairs

I'm going on my second year of relearning and still can't do rolling mounts or dare try to ride down stairs

Bravo is all I can say
Old 2018-09-19, 07:37 PM   #1151
Gm7dha
Unicyclist

Thanks, just pure determination not to be beaten! Never thought I'd progress this quickly to be honest, not at my age (not a spring chicken anymore lol)!

Last edited by Gm7dha; 2018-09-19 at 07:38 PM.
Old 2018-09-20, 01:55 PM   #1152
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1500 View Post
I'm going on my second year of relearning and still can't do rolling mounts or dare try to ride down stairs

Bravo is all I can say

In my third week I just got the hang of riding a few hundred metres and used the 4th to learn to freemount, but because it is so difficult you just try all possible ways of mounting like wheel grabbing or rolling mount and static mount. If a rolling mount feels like the best way, I can see why you can learn it right away. For me the static mount works best. For a while I tried a rolling mount for the 36", but also that I now prefer to do with a static mount.

As for riding down stairs, I'm too chicken. I already chicken out riding off a kerb, though doing that with a 36" feels more stable than with a smaller wheel. Riding down roots and kerbs always turns out to be easier than expected. You can give it a try AJ
Old 2018-09-20, 02:13 PM   #1153
aj1500
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
In my third week I just got the hang of riding a few hundred metres and used the 4th to learn to freemount, but because it is so difficult you just try all possible ways of mounting like wheel grabbing or rolling mount and static mount. If a rolling mount feels like the best way, I can see why you can learn it right away. For me the static mount works best. For a while I tried a rolling mount for the 36", but also that I now prefer to do with a static mount.

As for riding down stairs, I'm too chicken. I already chicken out riding off a kerb, though doing that with a 36" feels more stable than with a smaller wheel. Riding down roots and kerbs always turns out to be easier than expected. You can give it a try AJ
I'll admit it only took me about 4 hours total to relearn riding, that was from holding the wall start, then it was at least a week before I could freemount with any success. it took me a good month of riding before work everyday for about an hour before I could ride a mile on mixed ground surfaces
I can ride off curbs and over small roots and such with no problem but steps scare the crap out of me
I still can't come to a stop and hop yet, still can't idle either
I'll be back here to brag once I hit that skill
Old 2018-09-20, 08:15 PM   #1154
Gm7dha
Unicyclist

Sometimes just "letting go" and going for it works, once you do it once you know you can do it... Just keep trying! 😉

I still can't stop-hop-go, or idle, but I'm sure it'll come with practice!
Old 2018-09-21, 02:33 PM   #1155
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm7dha View Post
Sometimes just "letting go" and going for it works, once you do it once you know you can do it... Just keep trying! 😉

I still can't stop-hop-go, or idle, but I'm sure it'll come with practice!
The stop hop go, I got the hang of now, but because it has become so easy to freemount, I just cheat at steps or any steeper downhills and get off the uni to walk past the obstacle and "hop on" (just static mount) and ride away.

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2