Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-09-07, 08:10 PM   #46
As Stupid Does
Unicyclist

Just get with it!

Now, I’m sure glad I’m a self-taught unicyclist. Y’all “experts” would certainly have me so confused trying every un-imaginable theory.

I just decided I was finally going to persist trying to ride. No books, no internet (any one remember free dial-up), and had never even talked to any real unicyclist.

I’d suggest you ignore all of us! Don’t come back here expecting to learn anything. Y’all only visit this here forum to brag and theorize some overthought thesis on contact patch vrs lean vrs tyre pressure vrs crouching.

If there ain’t pictures it didn’t happen!

Post pictures of that new unicycle out in the “wild”! I want to see evidence!

Try riding it ten times each day for a couple of minutes. Take it every where with you. Ride it down the hallway every time you go between rooms in you house.

Act like that new unicycle is your best buddy and all day it’s recess.

ASD

Mama says,
“Stupid is as stupid does.”

As Stupid Does is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-07, 08:38 PM   #47
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCFreerider View Post
As to the pedal in the back side of the calf: YES, the pins hurt really bad and I've done it as least 4 times (on one of my first big drops at 3ft I lost the pedal in the air, and ahw!). Best remedies are 1) wear KH leg armour that covers the back. While there is no foam, the thick canvas works pretty well and can "hold" while you disengage from the uni 2) get cheap flat pedals without pins and maybe even smooth indoor-type pedals without teeth (later for muni you want pins to not loose your feet on the pedals -- see drop example above -- but for now it's not a big concern). Mostly it's mental as after having cranked the pins into my calf at least 4 times in the first months and 1-2 years learning off-road muni I still have a major fear of it, even though I don't think it's happened in the last 4 years of lots and lots of hours of riding. But the fear stays with you.
I admit I still retain fear of it. The KH leggings will hopefully help in that regard. I'm still going to wear other stuff over and/or under to add another layer or two of protection. Socks, long pants, and probably a foam ring I got that's supposed to keep your leg warm or something, I dunno. When I saw it, I thought "impact protection" and bought it on that basis. Pedals would tear it up fast though.

At any rate, though nobody likes pain, I'm not actually scared of pain so much as injury that either sends me to a doctor and leaves me with an ugly bill or that simply keeps me from training for weeks at a time. It's like a month later and my leg has only just healed ... and still doesn't really look healed at all.

Quote:
Yes, that's addicting. Just for measure, don't worry as you can continue challenging yourself for years with unicycling. After unicycling for 8-12 years depending on how you count, this year I'm learning to mount a Schlumpf (geared uni) and ride the Schlumpf above my run-out speed, ride a freewheel uni and wheel walk. All are **way** more difficult and scary than learning the uni initially (trying to freewheel uni is maybe the most unpredictable with hard-hard falls on the butt). But also fun!!
I do look forward to continual learning. That helps keep one's interest up. It sounds like you have plenty on your plate even after all your years, which is a great thing. I really wanted to pick up a sporty activity I could keep doing for years and years rather than one I'd have to retire fairly quickly as I got older. If I should live so long, I want to still be doing this 20 years from now, to entertain myself and to keep fitness interesting. I just can't get on a treadmill and plod away. Can't do it. That feels like dying, to me. I need to keep fit by doing interesting things. One of my favorite things about biking was having scenery constantly go by. Variety every second made going almost anywhere for almost any reason inherently absorbing.
Old 2018-09-07, 08:57 PM   #48
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
Sooner or later, though, you have to leave the wall for the great wide open. You should absolutely expect it to feel hopeless and absurd and a pointless waste of time. You have absolutely no chance of riding even a half a pedal turn at first, and it might take a hundred attempts or more before--totally by accident--you find yourself staying upright for a few feet and get a taste of the feeling of what it's like to ride for any distance. So you might as well get out there and start working your way through them.
"Might as well get the hard stuff over with" ... I like that approach!

Quote:
Maybe I wasted a lot of that time doing wall practice. Five years down the road, I'm not worried about it. We all have different temperaments and learning styles and physical aptitudes. Find out what works for you, but keep at it.
Yeah, you're right. Small delays don't add up to much in the long-term. I'm just going to do what I do, and even with plenty of great feedback, it's still going to come down to just (me vs. uni) + time.
Old 2018-09-12, 05:12 AM   #49
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Okay, so yesterday I did a little on the 20, today I was out on the grass for about an hour. I definitely feel more control because it continues to feel like there's a bigger "sweet spot" before I fall over ... or before the uni rockets out from under me. Those backwards falls are not slow. Still, I like the feeling that there's at least a fraction of time more before someone(?) whips the carpet out from under me and sends me flying.

There was a ladder set up under a pear tree in the park nearby, pretty big one. Not big enough that I couldn't probably pull it over if I fell over and put my full weight on it, but big enough that it took some pressure to make it lean. I practiced, well, simply holding still on it, despite the advice to forget about that and just move. And I practiced moving, too. I never got more than half a revolution, and that was more just flinging myself until I fell off ... I wouldn't quite call it pedaling.

I also just spent time on the seat, despite the warning that that was pretty much a waste of time. And I think it calms me down. Just sitting there, feet at either 12/6 or 3/9, leaning against a rung of the ladder hard at first but then less and less until it was only the tips of my fingers. Then, sometimes, rocking back and forth, or trying to pedal from there, or turn my hips a little. Also standing up and sitting down in the seat, trying to do it with as little leaning as possible ... just feeling what a firm press on the pedals is like, feeling what it's like to grip with my thighs, what it's like to transfer weight more to the saddle. It does make me feel good to have a moment or two which is not dedicated entirely to crashing.

I also did an odd exercise I came up with spontaneously ... I kept pressure on one pedal, took the other foot off the pedal, and swung it back and forth and around in different directions to get a feel for what it did for my balance. Then I did a thing where I followed positions on the clock, trying to tap my foot at each hour, 6 to 12 on the left foot and then back again, 12 to 6 on the right. I have spent much more time against a table on my right side, so was much more steady when tapping around with my left foot, my right one pushing the right pedal down. I just tried to listen down into myself and see what I felt.

I can see this is going to be a long road for me. But I think the difference in how I could tap the clock positions shows I'm already learning. I did better tapping with my left foot, but that is not my dominant foot. In fact it's kind of "dead" in comparison to how much more precise and "alive'" my right foot feels. But I still did better tapping with the left ... I think because my body is starting to learn what it's like to be trying to achieve some sort of balance with the right foot pushing down on the pedal to secure me during a mount, step-over, etc. My right side can secure my left to the extent that my left comes out looking like the more coordinated one. But it's not ... it's just that it is getting the benefit of my whole body being held in better balance by my right foot.

Whew, that's a lot of words and I'm not sure how clear they were. Anyway, it was frustrating as usual but also fun. I appreciated having the KH leg guards on. And I took my dog with me, which has been part of the whole reason I took up this activity as compared to so many other possibilities ... I wanted to have a way for the both of us to get outdoors and have some healthy fun.

Now if I could get him to stay out of my path ...

Last edited by Dingfelder; 2018-09-12 at 05:16 AM.
Dingfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 05:38 PM   #50
Freemind
Unicyclist

Can you find a tennis court to learn at? It has a fence to grab and level smooth surface to ride on.
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 03:53 AM   #51
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

I finally found a park with a good fence. I think I'll check that out soon.

I've had a lot of social obligations I couldn't get away from, family and friends and one who just got home from back surgery and can't do much for herself for a while. She needs a lot of care and so does her house, and for some reason I've become the neighborhood cook and general bottle washer. I could probably have snuck in some uni time but I've been too tired. So nothing for the past two days.
Old 2018-09-15, 10:39 PM   #52
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

20 minute session against the garage bench. Nothing particular learned, just a bit of sweating around. Finding my left foot wants to stay further out on the pedal than my right foot. Both feet felt relatively normally placed on my 24. Not sure what that is yet, but I suspect it might get better if I raise the seat on my 20 a bit.

I wonder too if anyone else finds standard pedals at all narrow or cramped? I have a size 12 foot and can't fit all of its width on the pedals. That feels weird to me.
Old 2018-09-15, 11:12 PM   #53
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Not quite the answer you’re looking for but, I found I angle my feet slightly out at the heel to clear the uni frame. More so depending on what shoes I had on. I only have size 10’s. I was wearing Danner GTX boots that were quite wide. I have now switched to ‘Northface Litewave Fastpack’ hightop shoes. I really like them, they are really grippy, light and narrow. They also give more protection than lowcut running shoes. Perfect for me on the muni. Sorry, don’t know about wider pedals though.
lowerstackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 01:15 AM   #54
Vital Wombat
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfelder View Post
I wonder too if anyone else finds standard pedals at all narrow or cramped?
Yes, but it is more of an annoying distraction than a major problem. I can ride a bike with too-small pedals, so I should be able to ride a uni...

The soles of my runners are 108mm wide at the ball of my feet.

The Nimbus Studded Plastic pedals are 95mm wide at the axle, but a bit too spikey for my taste. (I once sprained an ankle because I couldn't slide my foot off the pedal quick enough.)

My favourite pedals are some I took off an old mongoose bmx, followed by some no-name cheapo metal bmx pedals from fleabay, both 95mm wide.

Most cheap pedals seem to be only 90mm.

Last edited by Vital Wombat; 2018-09-16 at 01:18 AM.
Vital Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 05:04 AM   #55
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

What's the reason for this, I wonder? I haven't had feet small enough for my Nimbus pedals since I was ... I dunno ... 12?

Is there some strategic reason for pedals being so small? Half the time my left foot is stepping on the crank just in the attempt to stay relevant, but then I can't keep pedaling properly. Frustrating!

Last edited by Dingfelder; 2018-09-16 at 05:08 AM.
Dingfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 05:22 AM   #56
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Second session of the day. Went to the park and steadied myself against the big ladder against the pear tree. Plenty of simply sitting there, gently getting the feel of things ... a bit of pedaling back and forth, standing up and down in the saddle a lot and feeling how the pressure changes affected my balance.

Eventually cast myself off .. full revolution before falling! Forward thank goodness.

I was there for about 45 minutes I guess. Finally quit on a backward fall that I absorbed by throwing my arm back and catching myself. Not really painful, but it bothered me because it was stupid. I need to not be doing that anymore .. but I'm not used to unicycles and it has been a long time since my jiu-jitsu days .. I didn't remember to fall properly instead of just sticking my arm out like a dummy. I need to internalize that back again, and fast ... and I hope I do.

It has definitely begun to bother me that I fall backward so often when falling backwards has been addressed at all in my reading and video-watching, it has been along the lines of, don't worry, it doesn't really happen (or at least not much) on unicycles. I'd say by far the majority of my falling tends to be backwards.

I think maybe I should go and just stun myself with the number of step-over repetitions I could do so I get used to constantly directing my momentum forward to the Nth degree. Something in me is wanting to cast that weight/momentum backwards and I have to get past it somehow.
Old 2018-09-16, 06:29 AM   #57
Vital Wombat
Unicyclist

I can feel the outside edge of the pedal is on the inside of my pinky toe. I'd prefer something a little bit wider and I'm sure they're available, but I'm not going to spend big $$ for it.

I've sprained an ankle and cracked a rib, but the only fall which scared me was I went off backwards when trying to start against a curb. I landed smack on my back on the gutter.

I bought a stack of 10 or 12 EVA foam floor mats, and practising starting against those. The wheel doesn't roll back, and it makes it easier on the knees because you're not stepping up so much each time. Once I could launch from those each time, I just started reducing the number of mats.

If you don't have a fence/wall at home, you could try using a thin clothes-line rope stretched out at the right height. I think that works better than a wall, it provides a reference but you can't really lean on it too much.
Vital Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 04:23 PM   #58
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfelder View Post
I'd say by far the majority of my falling tends to be backwards.
Here are a few suggestions you can take or leave:

Try to think of pedaling as reactive, rather than proactive. Initiate forward movement by putting your center of mass in front of the contact patch, not by pedaling. Eventually, the feet will understand they need to pedal to keep you from falling forward.

Second, take all the advice about sitting up straight and flush it down the toilet. At this stage, your control in the feet is poor, and you must compensate by bending forward and backward with your hips/waist/shoulders to stay balanced.

Third, ask yourself, seriously, how many of these backward falls are attributable to holding onto a crutch? One of the problems with crutches is the complacency of thinking things are okay...until they're not. With no crutch, the body stays in alert mode and you're more ready to land on your feet. Also, if you hold onto a crutch, then practice pedaling forward, you're already putting yourself in a position to fall backwards. If you're going to keep using crutches, consider how they may promote forward leaning.

Good luck, and keep practicing!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 04:37 PM   #59
lobbybopster
Unicyclist

easy learning

Had the opportunity to expose three eight year old boys to the unicycle. Two went away able to see they would easily be able to ride, one has no clue. they started with my one step at a time method, horizontal feet, lean body slightly forward and peddle one half rev to catch the feet up under you and stop to balance, repeat. one step at a time. walk that uni !
lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 07:30 PM   #60
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobbybopster View Post
Had the opportunity to expose three eight year old boys to the unicycle. Two went away able to see they would easily be able to ride, one has no clue. they started with my one step at a time method, horizontal feet, lean body slightly forward and peddle one half rev to catch the feet up under you and stop to balance, repeat. one step at a time. walk that uni !
I'm not 100% sure I'm picturing this properly. Do you have a video you could link to illustrate?

Tags
dingfelder, progress, thread