Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-09-06, 07:41 PM   #31
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post

I was curious about your explanation for the crouched riding. I tend to crouch a bit, especially doing muni. I feel that if I hit a hole/root/stone/etc, I have a chance to straighten up and dampen, and therefore not fall. If I was all the way straight, the only way to get over the obstacle (especially if I hit it by surprise), would be to accelerate to compensate for the sudden block. Not easy if you're already pretty fast. Unless you have advice to do it better?
No, that works for me too. But the person who is just learning won't be hitting holes, roots or stones etc. But yes, the ability to straighten up and "damp" a sudden potential trip over an obstacle is a good thing.
Old 2018-09-06, 09:00 PM   #32
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
I tend to crouch a bit, especially doing muni. I feel that if I hit a hole/root/stone/etc, I have a chance to straighten up and dampen, and therefore not fall. If I was all the way straight, the only way to get over the obstacle (especially if I hit it by surprise), would be to accelerate to compensate for the sudden block. Not easy if you're already pretty fast.
When straight up it is very easy for a raised obstacle that retards the wheel to knock the uni out from under you. Pedalling harder is required to resist it and the rider must react.

Leaning forwards causes the frame to lean back. Some of the force from hitting the obstacle is now transferred up the frame and must lift the rider's weight on the seat to retard the wheel. This geometry is more stable.

As you straighten out your centre of mass is also retarded keeping it above the contact point which is being retarded by the obstacle.

When going down a hole, a vertical uni will drop straight down then be retarded by the exit side of the hole like it is with a raised obstacle.

The backwards lean also puts the contact point behind the steering axis introducing "trail" the same way it does with the forks on a bicycle or the steering geometry in a car. All properly designed wheel vehicles have some trail in their steering geometry to stabilise it.
Old 2018-09-07, 04:37 PM   #33
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

I had a very good days practice yesterday. I was able to ride on my gravel driveway for a few hundred feet. My course included a long slow 90 degree left turn. This turn proved difficult the first several times, then I got it on most of the remaining rides. I also felt I had good saddle contact throughout most of the session. My launches were consistently good by the end of the practice coupled with full length rides.
My driveway has a large round a bout built into it. In a few more days Iíll move to the other side of it and practice turning to the right. Things are coming along just fine, other than free mounting 😝. Thanks again for the input folks.
lowerstackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-07, 07:10 PM   #34
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Wow you are advancing very quickly! Great!
Old 2018-09-07, 09:59 PM   #35
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Dingfelder, Thanks, yes it is coming along. The comments posted by members have been super helpful and being able to practice the tips with time in the saddle is the reason. Iíve been able to do an hour a day, getting close to 30 hours now, so evidently Iím not a very fast learner at the uni game. Weíll both get it figured out if we persist.
Old 2018-09-08, 04:33 PM   #36
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Smile

Yesterdayís training time was interesting. My morning session was on the gravel driveway at home. I had very few failed attempts at launching into my rides which is encouraging. I also was able to ride a lap around my round a bout, to the right. It is just over 100 yards around with a slight incline to it, so I had a bit of up hill and downhill and and a slow curve to navigate. My seat contact was pretty good too.
I went to the old Hwy for the afternoon practice. My first six or so attempts were failures right off the bat. that surprised me, my gravel take offs were so good earlier. My next attempt saw me get to over 700í, my arms were flapping and my seat contact was poor. My legs were very tired. I got back to my start position and immediately tried again, My arms were pretty stable, my seat contact was much better and I peddled until I had no more in my legs and bailed off. I took two strides towards the roadside grass at a run, lost it and managed to fall into a rolling stop. No damage. I got to well over 900í on that one. I guess from now on I should keep a little gas in the tank for dismounting. There was a guy sitting in a parked pickup truck facing me, I wonder what he thought of my performance? Anyhow, a great days practice.
Old 2018-09-08, 07:03 PM   #37
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Wonderful, you were only at 300 a few days back and that itself was a big outlier from getting to more like 150 just a hair before that. You are progressing quickly!
Old 2018-09-08, 08:36 PM   #38
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Thanks Dingfelder, if only I could get sitting properly, consistently,
so my legs would hold out. That or an adrenaline drip. Once you start catching on it comes quickly. I fall off at the start way less than I did earlier on. Good luck to you today.
Old 2018-09-09, 03:53 AM   #39
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerstackmac View Post
I got to well over 900í on that one. I guess from now on I should keep a little gas in the tank for dismounting.
I am dealing with the same issue in regard to wheel walking. I am very inefficient at wheel walking. If I WW for more than 20 feet then try to transition back onto the pedals, I'm tired out, and this increases my chance of falling during the transition. If you are always going for a personal best distance, you're going to have more sketchy dismounts. As you suggested, think of dismounting while there's still "gas in the tank." Maybe now is the time to focus on riding a tiny bit more slowly. It may temporarily shorten your runs, but in the end it may be key to crossing the 1-mile-sans-UPD mark. Mac, you're killing it!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-09, 05:37 AM   #40
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

elpuebloUNIdo, Thanks, thatís great advice. Iíll take it and give it a good try. I need to work on so many uni things. Exhausting my legs is using up my training time, especially with the long walk back to my take off spot. Iíll find a comfortable distance to ride to, that lets me work on some skills and safely dismount, leaving enough energy to do it several more times.
Cheers
Old 2018-09-09, 03:23 PM   #41
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerstackmac View Post
Exhausting my legs is using up my training time
I don't know what mounting method you're using currently...but one way to save your legs is to start your workout practicing mounts...particularly, mounts you're not so good at. Then, when you finally are able to roll away from the mount, you will have earned your ride. Try to mount slowly. I find it difficult to start any maneuver using high energy, then dial back the energy. An example is wheel walking. If I push off too hard with the first foot, it's a challenge to slow down and relax after that. So, in your case, if you can land a slowly executed mount (even if it takes you more attempts to do so), you're more likely to ride away from it in a slow/calm/controlled fashion. Something to think about. Applies to me in a variety of situations, your mileage may vary.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-09, 04:18 PM   #42
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

For mounting Iím using a tall saw horse with a patio stone behind the wheel. Iíve halfheartedly tried to free mount a couple of times with zero results of any kind, other than testing the shock absorption quality of the leg armour. I do have a pretty good success rate at supported take offs now.Your points are very good. I will definitely adhere to them once I learn to free mount, which I will now dedicate a serious effort to. Thanks for the help.
Old 2018-09-09, 06:44 PM   #43
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

LSM,

How about this... saddle RH, left pedal at 6:00, no backstop.
With some oomph, push with right foot to stand on left pedal, but instead of trying to land your right foot on the pedal, just continue up and over the pedal and step down to the ground in front with your right foot.
You're trying to learn how to use momentum to get up to, and over the balance point.
Remember to sit in the saddle (with weight) and start putting less and less weight on the starting left foot.

Now try to slow that action down so you just clear the balance point.

Once you have this motion down pat, then pull that bottom pedal up towards you to about 6:30 to start.
Careful, this is where you stepping down on the pedal will cause the uni to move backwards. (not desirable)
Now try and launch yourself over while putting even less weight on the left pedal.

This is where you start slowing things down and think about landing that right foot now.

You have the basics about having the starting foot unweighted so the uni doesn't roll back towards you.
You also understand what momentum it takes to get up to that balance point so you're able to just ride away.

From 6:30, go to 7:00, then 8:00, then finally 9:00.
Then we'll work on rolling mounts and bring you back down to 7:00.

Hope that made sense.

A cheater move could be to carry several small sticks or rocks with you to prop behind the wheel to help keep the wheel from rolling back when you do have to mount again. But I say don't do it!
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-09, 07:12 PM   #44
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Canoeheadted, yup, that sounds good to me. Iíll give it a try today. Iíll try it on grass first and if I donít like that Iíll move onto the gravel. Iíd hate to be a coward about this. Thanks for your advice.
Old 2018-09-10, 03:05 AM   #45
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

ElpuebloUNIdo, As suggested I have a new route on my driveway, it is 150í. The first half is fairly level the second half is down a slight grade. I was able to ride slower and by doing so set myself into the seat much better. I notice it is easier to sit down on the level but with practice I was able to get it on the down hill portion as well. No leg burn and I was able to stop and step off the uni most of the time. No failed take offs during this :45 practice either. Great advice Thanks for that

Canoeheadted, I tried the freemounting exercise for :30 this evening. I started on the grass in the dead position, left foot down. I was able to spring up and put my right foot on the 12 oíclock pedal in about half a dozen tries. The grass was so uneven I moved onto the gravel. I tried the six, seven and eight oíclock positions with no success. Once I spring up onto the top pedal, the pedals move into the dead position. Although I am sometimes up long enough to pedal, I canít because the pedals are dead. I think I am still not light enough on the lower pedal. Anyhow I can see how it is supposed to work. I guess itís another one of those put in the time things. Itíll happen. Thanks for the plan

Tags
gravel, learning, ride