Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-11-02, 11:44 AM   #1
petercorbett

1 Wheel Ride to the White House -Join Me

Imagine this: 1000 unicyclists who all care about real democracy riding together to the White House on December 5th.

'1 Wheel' is the perfect metaphor for democracy as it should work. See his website at http://1Wheel1NationGovernment4All.com to learn about the ride and how you can participate.

On November 8th, the 1 year pre-anniversary of the 2016 presidential election, Peter Corbett will begin a unicycle ‘FUNdraiser’ ride from Burlington, VT’s City Hall, the birthplace of Bernie Sanders political career, 550 miles to the White House, where he hopes Sanders will soon live.

Be a part of the ride en route from Burlington - DC.
Come to the final ride into the White House on December 5th.

Last edited by Gilby; 2015-11-02 at 11:48 AM.
petercorbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-02, 03:45 PM   #2
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

Ha! I love this. If I lived close enough I'd be in.

Feel the Bern.
Old 2015-11-02, 09:07 PM   #3
song
Unicyclist

Sanders is a sheepdog for Hillary and supported her husband's bombing of Yugoslavia and sanctions on Iraq, which are said to have killed 1.5 million people. "Bernie" later voted in favor of the Authorization for the Use of Military Force that allowed Bush to reduce Afghanistan and Iraq to rubble, and he supported Bill Clinton's 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, which, true to its name, empowered law enforcement to become even more violent. It drastically expanded the number of crimes punishable by death and produced 100,000 extra cops and billions of dollars for prison expansion.

Be careful on your ride, though. Some of the ideals people think they are supporting by campaigning for Sanders are considered a threat by the powers-that-be, and police sometimes attack Critical Mass rides, knocking people off their bikes by the light of a helicopter. On a unicycle, you would be even more vulnerable, not to mention conspicuous. I once rode my 29 through an area where a police brutality protest was being extinguished...
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-02, 10:19 PM   #4
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

To be clear, then-Rep Sanders voted against the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002, HR 107-243; and also, fwiw, against the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 1991, HR 102-1. He did vote for the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists, HR 107-40, on September 14, 2001. The only member of either house of Congress to vote against that one was Rep. Barbara Lee of California, who isn't running for President as far as I know,
Quote:
... stating that she voted no not because she opposed military action but because she believed the AUMF, as written, granted overly-broad powers to wage war to the president at a time when the facts regarding the situation were not yet clear. She "warned her colleagues to be 'careful not to embark on an open-ended war with neither an exit strategy nor a focused target.'" Lee explained, "It was a blank check to the president to attack anyone involved in the September 11 events—anywhere, in any country, without regard to our nation's long-term foreign policy, economic and national security interests, and without time limit. In granting these overly broad powers, the Congress failed its responsibility to understand the dimensions of its declaration...
Aced it.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 12:17 AM   #5
song
Unicyclist

I doubt Congress "failed to understand." Most of them were probably thrilled to write a blank check for war and knew that's what they were doing. Other than that, though, Barbara Lee's remarks now seem somewhat prophetic.

Come to think of it, the old 9/11 pretext for war seems to have been shelved, even for pushing the ongoing wars whose beginning it was used to justify. Remember when 9/11 was invoked constantly to justify everything from racial profiling to torture to extrajudicial execution, and seemed like it could be milked forever? Nowadays, we barely even get a vague "He's killing his own people" before the latest war begins or continues escalating.

Even after all these years of the Global War On Terror, sometimes I am still shocked by how seldom these things are discussed by most people.
Old 2015-11-03, 03:32 AM   #6
Shmolagin
Uniquecyclist

It would be cool to have 1000 unicycles riding together for sure. I just can't see how "real democracy" would imply that someone doesn't care only because they don't support one specific candidate for one specific party.

Last edited by Shmolagin; 2015-11-03 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Post #3000
Shmolagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 03:48 AM   #7
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Well, it only took two replies to illustrate that 1000 unicyclists, especially the ones on these forums, aren't going to all back the same candidate. The biggest groups of unicyclists I've ever gotten to ride with were all less than 1000 riders, but they were some really big groups.

If you want to get 1000 unicyclists to ride together, best to make it about unicycling, and perhaps about a not-too-political charity or fundraiser. That could work, especially if combined with another large unicycle event in the same area, like a future Unicon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercorbett View Post
Imagine this: 1000 unicyclists who all care about real democracy...
While my question got somewhat answered within your post, what is your definition of "real democracy"?

And should this thread be in the Just Conversation forum? Probably.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2015-11-03 at 03:48 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 05:14 AM   #8
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
what is your definition of "real democracy"?
Government of the people, by the people, for the people.

I read an interesting study, contrasting the local governments in northern Italy and southern Italy, particularly Cicily. The study found that government worked better and more justly for the people in the north of Italy, while in the south, corruption was rampant. The social scientists then looked for reasons why that was so. What they concluded was that there were more active civic institutions in the north, such as clubs, social groups, neighborhood associations, etc., but in the south, there were fewer. The north, in other words, was more democratic because they had practiced democracy more. For me, the take-away of the story is that "small-d" democracy is what is important. Without it, the "Large-D" democracy is not going to happen.

Liberals place too much hopes on "Large-D" presidential elections. Yes, Bernie Sanders has said very little about foreign policy and our permanent wartime economy. Looks like we'll have to talk about it, instead. And, oh well, if we must talk about it on the unicycle forum, all the better, because despite our disagreements, we'll all still admire one another for being cool enough to unicycle (unless, maybe, you're one of those fat tire freaks, or if you think SI is superior to SIF, or if you don't use the same length cranks as I)!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 04:33 PM   #9
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Quote:

And should this thread be in the Just Conversation forum? Probably.
agreed. This isn't a political forum.
Old 2015-11-03, 09:29 PM   #10
MUCFreerider
29" Muni/Downhill! (and 36" Muni)

northern Italy is rich and southern Italy is not

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I read an interesting study, contrasting the local governments in northern Italy and southern Italy, particularly Cicily. The study found that government worked better and more justly for the people in the north of Italy, while in the south, corruption was rampant. The social scientists then looked for reasons why that was so. What they concluded was that there were more active civic institutions in the north, such as clubs, social groups, neighborhood associations, etc., but in the south, there were fewer. The north, in other words, was more democratic because they had practiced democracy more. For me, the take-away of the story is that "small-d" democracy is what is important. Without it, the "Large-D" democracy is not going to happen.
While I don't disagree with the conclusion, the example is not ideal as most of the difference probably has more to do with the HUGE economic and social disparity between northern and southern Italy, especially poverty, crime and unemployment... northern Italy is pretty rich and has a really high standard of living, while southern Italy is plagued with poverty, crime and social problems. They're REALLY different. Probably the biggest and only really "successful" business in southern Italy is organized crime (not at all true in northern Italy).
24" Koxx, Duro (gathering dust)
19" Trials Impact Athmos
20" Qu-Ax Profi Freestyle, 89mm VCX (new Nov 2018)
MUCFreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 06:41 PM   #11
song
Unicyclist

Ha ha! We got evicted from the forum! Oh well, interesting point about Italy. I agree that high-poverty areas such as southern Italy tend not to have many institutions that promote discussion.

"Bourgeois democracy," as its name implies, means democracy for the bourgeoisie. If you are not a member of the capitalist class or one of its spokespeople, why should they spend money having you taught how to read, write and debate the issues that shape your world?
Old 2015-11-04, 10:44 PM   #12
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

http://www.masslive.com/politics/ind...e1164b2f2498f2

What's going on with your seat/chest-rest setup? I've never seen a setup like that before!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 04:02 AM   #13
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Government of the people, by the people, for the people.
That left me kind of wanting more. Democracy with a small-d also lacks a bit of detail. Of course theories of how we would like things to work are great; the hard part is getting them to fruition. Some ideas sound perfect on paper, but then don't seem to work out as expected in real life.

I've been to way-northern Italy (Alto Adige, where Unicon XVI was). It was really nice up there, but it was more Austria than Italy. It's a really great area to visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
Ha ha! We got evicted from the forum!
No, just moved to a more fitting spot. These kinds of discussion can be a lot of fun!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 05:26 AM   #14
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
That left me kind of wanting more. Democracy with a small-d also lacks a bit of detail. Of course theories of how we would like things to work are great; the hard part is getting them to fruition. Some ideas sound perfect on paper, but then don't seem to work out as expected in real life.
Congratulations, you've just earned a seat at the adult table!

Democracy with a "small d" implies participation in local, rather than merely national, politics. Government "of the people, by the people and for the people" means that representatives protect the best interests of the people, rather than the interests of corporations and the rich.

Why bother with "theories about how we would like things to work", however, when instead we have the reality of how-things-are-working, namely the uneven distribution of resources by our capitalist system and the gains of our economy going to a small number of elites. That's 'not' democracy.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-08, 01:02 AM   #15
Gilby
Unicyclist.com Webmaster

Quote:
namely the uneven distribution of resources by our capitalist system
You don't live in a capitalist society. It's called fascism. I would also argue that you don't live in a democracy either. The political process is very corrupted and rigged by the RNC and DNC.

Tags
house, join, ride, wheel, white