Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Challenge Each Other

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-04-17, 06:47 PM   #1
WestraJC

Join Me to Fight Kids Cancer!

This June, I'm Riding my UNICYCLE as part in the Great Cycle Challenge to fight kids' cancer! I'll also be celebrating 46 years in the saddle!

Why? Because cancer is the biggest killer of children from disease in the United States. Over 15,700 children are diagnosed every year, and sadly, 38 children die of cancer every week. Kids should be living life, not fighting for it.

Consider joining the 'OneGoal' Team and help me show how the efforts of One (1) Multiplied by Many can make a difference!

https://greatcyclechallenge.com/Riders/JohnWestra
WestraJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-20, 07:38 PM   #2
Biped
Ischial Tuberitus

Way to go John! The only thing worse than a cancer diagnosis, is a cancer diagnosis to a child.

What John didn't mention is that this event is virtual... and spread out over the month of June. You set your mileage goal and do the fundraising...

I would join you but I've been riding in an event for the past 6 or 7 years that also raises money for cancer support. It doesn't focus on pediatric cancer, but one of the major fundraisers is also the parent of a child who passed from cancer, so a larger share of the funds is going to pediatrics.

My ride is not virtual... and I'm not going to post info on it here to avoid thread jacking the OP. I've personally raised at least $2500 every year since 2012... and my team raises anywhere from $8-15k. I have a short but solid list of regular donors that have supported me from the beginning... I'm pretty sure one ride a year and my incessant solicitations is more than they can tolerate.

Since 2012 my father and sister have both been diagnosed and deceased from cancer... so yeah, it has become personal.

Please consider joining John's virtual team...

Last edited by Biped; 2018-04-20 at 07:41 PM.
Biped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 11:10 AM   #3
YellowKiel

Thumbs up Similar Idea

Dear John,
Thatís a great idea. I canít join you but Iím planning a similar tour to collect money for climate protection.
Itís great to use our freetime to make a contribution to a better world.
I hope that you find your virtual team and Iím looking forward to hear about your progress. Do you have any tips for me how to find donors?
Best,
Johanna
YellowKiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancer, challenge, children, fight, join, kids, ride, unicycle