Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-06-26, 04:19 PM   #16
JimT
Unicyclist

A friend recently bought the very same Titan 36er and the spokes got very loose after riding awhile. I'd second Mikefule's suggestion, do a ping test on each spoke to check for any loose spokes. If any are loose and you don't want to learn a new skill, take it to your local bike shop and they will fix you right up.

Tightening and truing is not that difficult to do, do an online search for many good how to videos on the subject. I recently replaced the hub on my new 36er and picked up the knowledge and tools online. The only tool I bought was a spoke wrench. I used a free frequency app to check and set the tension on the spokes. It is really quite easy and a very useful skill to pick up.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 04:54 PM   #17
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
Perhaps some form of strumming (like on a gitar) is the best way of decribing what I am hearing
Embrace the music!

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 05:33 PM   #18
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
I'd second Mikefule's suggestion, do a ping test on each spoke to check for any loose spokes.
Yes, identify the loose spokes, but do not tighten them! If your wheel doesn't need to be trued, tighten all the spokes uniformly the way I explained on the previous page, and there is a good chance the loose ones will no longer be loose.

You could pay someone to true your wheel. It is not that hard to do yourself, but it is definitely more difficult than just tightening all spokes at once, and getting good at truing wheels takes some time.

There is also a musical way to true wheels, especially larger wheels with long, resonant spokes, but I have never done that, even though I tune other string instruments all the time. Apparently some people true their wheels with just a spoke wrench and a tuner (or tuner app on a smart phone).
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 05:41 PM   #19
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32/G27.5, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
You can get the tension very close by just tapping each one and comparing it to the others. No tuner required.

Truing however is done by measurement rather than sound. Every spoke could sound the same but you could have a wheel that's well out of true.

For many years I trued wheels with just a spoke key and a plastic ruler. I now have a tension meter but it's not necessary, it just makes things a little faster and means you can check tension while listening to something else (personally I like to listen to podcasts while wheelbuilding).

Last edited by mowcius; 2018-06-26 at 05:41 PM.
mowcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 07:18 PM   #20
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
Excuse me, while I get naked and have a quick ride around the block!
Photos, or it didn't happen.
Old 2018-06-26, 07:32 PM   #21
mowcius

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32/G27.5, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Do they have the WNBR in Norway?
Old 2018-06-26, 08:52 PM   #22
Mikefule

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcius View Post
Do they have the WNBR in Norway?
I think you mean the Naked Unicycle Tour: NUT.
Old 2018-06-26, 08:52 PM   #23
Mikefule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
PS, if it's a warm day, don't catch them in the spokes.
Old 2018-06-26, 09:10 PM   #24
ruari
 

Well, I have had a quick initial check of all the spokes, the cranks, pedals and can (initially at least) find nothing obviously wrong.

Maybe it was something related to what I was wearing or had on my pockets. Maybe that naked ride isn't such a bad idea!

Not sure if I would want to post that in the "Pictures of your latest ride" thread however. Might get me a bad reputation around here.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 03:52 AM   #25
song
Unicyclist

Would you know if any of your spokes were too loose? One benchmark that I came up with on my own is that if you can easily twist any of the spoke nipples with no spoke wrench, just your fingers, they are definitely too loose.

Not sure what others would say about this, though.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 08:30 AM   #26
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

- First I check for clothes rubbing and things in my pocket like Mikefule said. I once had keys or someting in my pocket, and I couldn't figure it out.

- Second I would just feel the spokes with my hand because it's a quick and easy check, but it's usually not the problem.

- Third I would do as Harper sugested. Take the cranks off and put them back on. This often helps, but has a tendency to reoccure after a while. Are the spacers the correct size? Hard to tell.

- Tighten the spokes/truing the wheel. This is rarely the problem, but it's a good thing to check the wheel once in a while anyway.

- Is the frame properly attached to the bearings? It should not be loose and not overtightened. I use threadlock on the bolts

- Replace the bearings. This has solved the problem a few times, but those were older bearings.

- Replace the pedals. Never really had a problem with the pedals, but it can occure as mowcius mentioned.

- What now? Could it be the hub? It's hard to determine and expencive/lot of work to replace it. Seat? Seatpost? I don't know

It's a great feeling when the unicycle is completely quiet, but it rarely happens and not for long at a time.

PS: I figured out where you're at in the photo: https://www.google.no/maps/@59.92006...=no&authuser=0
Old 2018-06-27, 08:53 AM   #27
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
I figured out where you're at in the photo: https://www.google.no/maps/@59.92006...=no&authuser=0
Indeed that is pretty much exactly where I was. I met up with a friend in Vår Frelsers Gravlund for a chat and he took that picture of me just before I left.

As you see from my profile (and because we discussed it previously), I live in Risløkka and as I stated I went on a quiet cycle path on (part of) my route home. I would imagine therefore that you might even be able to guess my route.

To save you the trouble, I was here (almost home), when I really started to think about the fact that there was a regular noise.

Last edited by ruari; 2018-06-27 at 08:55 AM.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 10:50 AM   #28
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Twist and pull on the saddle while you hold the wheel still with your knees to check if it's frame/seatpost related, a loose seat can make weird noise. Every part of a unicycle can make a noise, I recently had a new one on my 19" and it turned out it was caused by a cracked frame... But most of the time it's just something that is loose, and quickly fixed by retightening everything.
Old 2018-06-27, 10:52 AM   #29
mowcius

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
It's a great feeling when the unicycle is completely quiet, but it rarely happens and not for long at a time.
I've spent more money than I'd like to admit on parts to ensure my unicycles stay quiet.

I rarely break things, but have bought new hubs, new spokes, new pedals, and new bearings a few times purely to keep my unicycle quiet.
Old 2018-06-27, 10:53 AM   #30
mowcius

Just to add to the common problems, slightly loose bearing holders and therefore bearings moving a little in them has happened to me before.

Tags
noise, spokes