Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-03-03, 08:06 PM   #31
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Hmmm; but still around within GA?
Michigan now, moving to Austin in a few months.
Old 2015-03-05, 06:58 PM   #32
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Attached Images

Last edited by juggleaddict; 2015-03-05 at 06:59 PM. Reason: images speak for themselves.
juggleaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-05, 08:00 PM   #33
leo
Vandewoestijne

Quote:
still around within GA?
I thought I would be there later this month, and could bring my tools with me, then we could go for trial and error. But... I wasn't thinking too good, I'm on another project, going to some other place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggleaddict View Post
Michigan now, moving to Austin in a few months.
Aha, so nevermind. But, in that case, try Semcycle USA, they also may have longer ones in stock, but cutting them is a VERY time-consuming job, but maybe they can help you out.

Quote:
tape measure
Those may stretch, so I hope you had a bad one. Spokes will stretch a bit to, but not 2mm. In the worst case go for the nipples jtrops pointed to.

Quote:
images speak for themselves.
Doesn't look too good, ...times two. I would put the worst spokes with eyes on the inside, and order a few more so you can replace those later on.

Crossing my fingers for you, and looking forward to positive news.

+1 866-UNI-CYCL
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-05, 09:55 PM   #34
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Luckily I ordered a few extra spokes, so I'm not worried about that, but the rim bothers me more. They claim that this is a "tooling error that should not affect the rim"

I would like to hear what other people think, I could at the very least see this creating an issue that punctures the tube through the rim strip, and at the least a place for a crack to propagate.
Old 2015-03-05, 10:59 PM   #35
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Talked to the shop about it and they said it wouldn't be an issue, so I'm going ahead with the build. Going to file down the sharp edges... if I die due to catastrophic failure, I can't say I didn't warn myself.
Old 2015-03-05, 11:30 PM   #36
leo
Vandewoestijne

I've had a similar one, but less bad.
I expect it wont be fatal, as I don't believe it has worser damage on the inside.
But yes, when spending a sum like that on a rim, and receive this without any warning/explain/apologies/discount would make me dissatisfied.
Who knows; it still may turn out the best and longest lasting wheel you ever had.
So we (well, at least me) are curious if the sizing worked out, or not. Take your time and let us know.

+1 866-UNI-CYCL
Old 2015-03-06, 01:03 AM   #37
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

I doubt that the warping in the rim would be much of an issue, but it is troubling to me that UDC has given you such poor service.

Were I to receive a rim like that, I'd still use it and probably wouldn't even contact UDC. But It's disappointing that they would sell out a product like that, especially given the cost of the rim. Ditto the spokes.

The last Stealth rim I received had a decent bit of separation on the inside at the joint. However that's fairly common on pinned rims so I never thought twice about it.

I have a Titan that is supposed to be here tomorrow. I think for my own piece of mind, I'm not even going to look under the rim strip.
Old 2015-03-11, 05:37 PM   #38
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Just a quick update.

Shot UDC an email of the picture and they gave me a partial refund on the rim. I told them I was still building with it, and they agreed that it would be fine, but understood my frustration. All in all I am pretty happy that they got back to me and were willing to do something about it. I know they have been hearing from me on and off for months now trying to work out another solution, and the frustration had to be palpable over the phone. In the end I just want my wheel back. I'll post pics when she's up and rolling.

Ride hard out there
Old 2015-03-13, 02:41 PM   #39
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Wheel is put together.

last complication before the wheel was built....
I have used the old "commuter" tube in my 36er since I've gotten it, haven't ever had a flat, always worked, and wasn't interested in the clear tube.

So I go to put in the tube, and the valve stem won't fit through the hole in the new rim... I decided I could potentially ruin the rim if I tried to drill it out, or I could potentially sacrifice the tube trying to get it to fit. I tried the latter with success, a razor blade, file, and and 30 minutes of tedium later I had something that fit through.

Again, if I'm ordering a new rim, telling them over the phone that I'm having to upgrade a nightrider pro from the old stealth rim, one would think they would bring this up. They even still stock the old tubes and claim that they fit "all 36ers" on their website, which is simply false.

Imma go ride...
Attached Images

Old 2015-03-13, 08:28 PM   #40
leo
Vandewoestijne

Quote:
wasn't interested in the clear tube.
Aha; a super-valid reason to use those; they better fit
But seriously; I hope you didn't made the valve too fragile.
But at least you're there, so hopefully that's a kind of end-good all-good.
In the end; was my calculator the most accurate of all?

+1 866-UNI-CYCL
Old 2015-03-13, 09:11 PM   #41
Killian

Those valves are actually metal on the inside so shaving some rubber off isn't hurting anything.

It is a bs move on udc part though. The stealth that comes on the Titan will fit them, but the others don't. It's really stupid, there should only be one size.
Old 2015-03-13, 11:33 PM   #42
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Quote:
But at least you're there, so hopefully that's a kind of end-good all-good.
In the end; was my calculator the most accurate of all?
yea, I'm there, went on a quick 6-7 mile ride today with no issues. Nice and smooth.

I'm relatively confident in the tube, I hit bare metal, the only issue I may have is that I didn't go ALL the way down to the base of where the tube starts, and I'm not sure how that would look on the inside of the rim, but if I have an issue, at least it's an easy fix.

The spokes actually came out a little long by ~1-2 mm from what I saw. Rather surprised. The 367s would have been too short, the 371s were a tad too long. Laced up fine, and I'd rather have them a little long than a little short. Not even close to coming through the rim strip though, so's all good.

veeery interesting about the Titan rim . . . that doesn't make me feel better. I'm still under the impression that they had some forethought into the sizing decisions between wheels to boost sales. Speculation though.
Old 2015-03-13, 11:35 PM   #43
juggleaddict
late-night rider

For reference: I am using a nimbus super-wide hub and a stealth 2 rim with 371mm spokes.

I am under the impression my other rim would have worked after looking at this build, but I can't say one way or the other.
Old 2015-03-14, 02:27 AM   #44
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
one would think they would bring this up.
To quote a math professor I once had: "But one would be wrong."

It's a little funny that you're shaving down a valve stem to fit the hole in your rim while Killian's complaining in another topic that the hole in his rim is way bigger than his value stem; like your kids got switched in the nursery. Pure guess, but I wonder if it goes back to Coker coming out of cars and motorcycles--maybe inner tubes in that world have thicker rubber around the stem than bike tubes and we've wound up with two flavors of Schrader valves and stem holes because of it.

Quote:
Imma go ride...
There ya go, sounds like a plan. Time in the saddle fixes most things. And I like the cranberry Nightrider btw, less common and a good look.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-14, 03:16 AM   #45
Killian

There are definitely different sized schraders out there. Compare what's on your car or motorcycle to what's on your bike or unicycle.

What's asinine is the fact that UDC still stocks a rim that has a hole to fit these ridiculously sized valves. And the fact that there is actually a 36" inner tube with that size of valve is just as dumb.

Stick with the same sized Schrader that every other bike has (that's not presta, I know).

I love UDC, but sometimes, I don't understand why they do the things they do (US mostly. Roger's got his stuff together).

Tags
spokes