Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-01-22, 09:20 PM   #16
Setonix
Unicyclist

This is an old thread, but it has some nice pointers, now that I want to focus more on muni. The funny thing here is that noone mentions the brakes. I found as I rolled downhill, that with so many bumps and drops, I don't have time to slow down and need all my concentration of swirving around roots and staying on the uni. Some drops seem too scary and I bail out, but I'm sure I can physically do them.
On flat downhill rides, I have the trouble that I'd be going too slowly with the brake. I suppose like all uni skills, it will just take time and persistence to get the hang of them.
And I also noticed it drains me of energy. Even though downhill should make it easier, a few hundred metres gets me plumb tuckered out.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-23, 03:06 AM   #17
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangingLINKS.com View Post
Aside from consistent practice, can anyone give me some tips on how to be more efficient off-road?
The OP is going to be really pissed, having to wait 14 years for my answer, below.

Anyone alive in 2004, when this thread started, may remember how unicycles then were made from stone using primitive tools, like this one. Remember the first generation KH gloves, the ones made from saber tooth tiger skin? The evolution of balance actually began when Kris Holm unicycled out of his cave and started walking on two feet. Anyone finding the 2004 forum posts rather quaint must remember those were prehistoric times. It's a strange habit of some riders on the forum, using the search button and resurrecting ancient threads, as if there is anything to be learned by such old information.

Answer: If the OP is still riding, they should trade in their stone unicycle for an up-to-date model; that'd help with off-road efficiency.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-23, 04:45 AM   #18
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
The funny thing here is that noone mentions the brakes.
They were still fairly novel at the time, and not as good. All rim brakes, relying on a true wheel for good function. Disc brakes are a lot stronger and more consistent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix
Some drops seem too scary and I bail out, but I'm sure I can physically do them.
Me too, even after all these years. Or maybe because of all these years? Nope, no "age" excuses (yet)!
quote=Setonix]And I also noticed it drains me of energy. Even though downhill should make it easier, a few hundred metres gets me plumb tuckered out.[/QUOTE]Muni uses your energy in different ways, and it takes a while to get used to all the differences. A technical downhill can be almost as taxing as a not-so technical uphill, especially if you aren't comfortable using the brake!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
The evolution of balance actually began when Kris Holm unicycled out of his cave and started walking on two feet.
I haven't seen it in a long time, but in his first appearance in a MTB video, he was wearing a pair of shorts, shoes, and that was about it, and riding a 24" Schwinn. Which I believe broke at some point in the film.
Those were the days!

My Muni in 2004, was the one I got in 2003, a Wilder 6160. Profile hub, 170mm cranks, handmade aluminum frame (no brakes). Super-light frame, but bomb-proof Sun DoubleWide 24" rim with Gazzalodi tire. State of the art for the time, and I only stopped using it in 2016. My original "Muni" was a 24" Miyata with 1.75" tire running 60 pounds of pressure. Go much lower than that and you would get pinch flats!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-23, 05:28 AM   #19
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

What John_Childs said.

I'll add to be ambidextrous (or symmetrical) and use handlebars.
Learn to roll anything in any pedal position.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-23, 09:24 AM   #20
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
It's a strange habit of some riders on the forum, using the search button and resurrecting ancient threads, as if there is anything to be learned by such old information.
It happened several times that I posted questions where people point out those subjects have been touched in other threads, so this time I finally use an old thread and again it is not good. Like the story of the boy, his old man on a cart and the donkey. In every town they say something different, like don't let the donkey pull them, but let the donkey sit on the cart and let the boy pull.
Next time I will just post new threads.

Anyways some of the things written in the thread about hanging forward or backward when going downhill, and how much speed to use are still actual, especially for a beginner muni-rider like me.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-23, 02:41 PM   #21
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
It happened several times that I posted questions where people point out those subjects have been touched in other threads, so this time I finally use an old thread and again it is not good.
I apologize for my stupid sense of humor. I was trying to be funny. I read the entire thread and found the information very useful. I appreciate that you resurrected this old thread. I was actually trying to make fun of the idea that anything more than five minutes old is ancient history. I like old threads. I got chewed out a few months ago on the forums for suggesting that another rider use the search function. I hope my fellow flame warriors, who disappeared from the forum shortly after that exchange, are still riding. Perhaps they've found the facebook group.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
600, beginner, mile, municycle, problems