Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-05-11, 12:56 PM   #16
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
Now that my Duro is getting old and worn and the knobs in the middle section are only 1-2mm, I feel that I loose grip earlier.
Which doesn't provide much evidence about how well a different tyre with a tread pattern designed to use smaller knobs will grip when it is new and still has good edges to the knobs which a worn tyre doesn't have.
Old 2015-05-14, 06:17 PM   #17
Capdoogie
Unicyclist

Well I just pulled the trigger on a new nimbus oracle 24. I'll answer my own question. The duro tire maybe heavier than most but you sure don't notice it. Love this tire.. The oracle 24 rips. I have a 20 trials and nimbus 26. But the 24 is goldy locks.
Capdoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-14, 08:17 PM   #18
Macavity224
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capdoogie View Post
Well I just pulled the trigger on a new nimbus oracle 24. I'll answer my own question. The duro tire maybe heavier than most but you sure don't notice it. Love this tire.. The oracle 24 rips. I have a 20 trials and nimbus 26. But the 24 is goldy locks.
How do you find the 24" compared to the 26"? I was undecided about which to get, but eventually ordered the Oracle 26".

Sun 20" (Second hand)
Nimbus II 20"
Nimbus Oracle 26"
Kris Holm 36" (2015)
Macavity224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-14, 10:37 PM   #19
Capdoogie
Unicyclist

My dh trails I ride are narrow with a lot of switch backs with very steep inclines in the turn. some of the rock gardens seem easier to hop thru then plow over. I find for what I ride the 24 or even my trials 20 work best. If I was just on easy winding trails I would be on my 26.
Capdoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-04, 04:31 PM   #20
Byc
Unicyclist

Just changed from Duro to Knard (120tpi, plus another tube) and the Muni lost 500 grams (rotating mass). What a difference on hardpack and road!
Also it seems to be more 3" than the Duro.

So far I love it.

Greetings

Byc

Qu-Ax Luxus 20"
Qu-Ax Luxus 24"
Qu-Ax/Nimbus 26" Muni
KH 36" Muni

Last edited by Byc; 2015-06-04 at 04:33 PM.
Byc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-05, 01:18 AM   #21
UPD
fail better.

Yeah, same here, first day on it! Noticed immediate difference. It just simply rode better! AND, this is coming from a guy who loves his Duro!
Pure pleasure, was today's loose gravel and hill ride on the Bay Trail.
Pros:
Significantly lighter>>
translates to a faster, smoother cadence, (and a big plus) which equates to less back pedal pressure for rapid corrections>> which translates to less effort, less fatigue, more achievable distance, and ultimately greater efficiency.

Softer, supple, grippier.
Bouncier, hops better with less effort.
Rounder profile, with much smaller, tighter knobs equals less roll resistence.
I rode on really loose gravel , and due to the sufficiently wide 3" I didnt notice any significant lost of traction as compared to the knobby Duro, thats because on non super technical rocky stuff, the Duro maybe an overkill. Unis' in general, have really good traction and control, so in my opinion, in most cases we dont need as big knobs as we think, on 97% of the stuff.

CONS:

Only a couple I can think of as of today's experience.
I lowered my pressure from 20psi (midfirm) to probably 15_17psi? (soft), definitely bottomed out when I hit a large bump or a dip. Im probably sure it folds over easier at a lower psi too, than the much stiffer no fold Duro. But thats ok, just dont lower it that low.

Due to its supple, grippy nature, Im sure it wont wear as well as the Duro.

Overall, an awesome new 26x3 120tpi tire! I definitely climbed better too, due to its nimbleness and the ability to make corrections fast to be out of the deadzone. Cant wait to try it on the really steep hills.
Loving it already. And when I wear it out bald, then that means I have that much further advanced in skills and will purchase another.

Ok, Im totally convinced on lighter tires, higher TPI's from now on.
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-05, 11:13 AM   #22
Moslki
Unicyclist

Hi there

Silly question probably: I've got a Quax Muni 26' (the steel frame one - bought it around 2 years ago if that helps to know wich model I'm referring to) with a 26x2.5 tyre at the moment which for the time being I'm happy with but wouldn't mind to try that Surly knard 3' (or any other 3' for that matter) at some point. Does any of you knows if a 26 x 3' (The Duro or the Knard) would fit in the Quax frame?

Thanks
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-05, 05:24 PM   #23
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moslki View Post
Does any of you knows if a 26 x 3' (The Duro or the Knard) would fit in the Quax frame?
That's a good question the product page from 2013 doesn't answer :/

However, Measuring your frame (leg length and crown width) can help you guess if a Duro would fit (either by comparing with other frames know to host a Duro or by retrieving the tire width and height from somebody with a Duro).

From there, you have 3 cases:

(1) You frame doesn't fit a Duro: you are out of luck and will have to stick with a 2.5 or 2.7 tire.

(2) You frame fits a Duro (tight fit): that is the most common case. That means you cannot run a Surly Knard (too big) but you can give a try to the Surly Dirt Wizard (reported with the same volume as a Duro)

(3) You frame fits a Duro (wide marging): this is the less likely case except if Qu-ax is making an insanely wide frame. However, that means the Surly Knard can fit.

According to the pic, it seems that the 2.5 tire has a good clearance on top so there is a chance a Duro can fit. If you don't know somebody with a Duro, let us know so someone here can take measurement for you (or the search feature can find that in the old threads).

Last edited by Siddhartha Valmont; 2015-06-05 at 05:24 PM.
Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-05, 09:46 PM   #24
danger_uni
Kris Holm

Re the 26x2.75 Dirt Wizard: this is a great tire but personally I'd classify it more as a high volume "normal" tire than a mid-fat 26+ tire. It has almost identical dimensions and feel to a Maxxis High Roller 26x2.7" tire (e.g. the tire that came with the 2014 KH26). As such it is lower volume than the Duro, which in turn is lower volume than the Knard.

Last edited by danger_uni; 2015-06-05 at 09:47 PM.
danger_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-05, 10:34 PM   #25
UPD
fail better.

I had another awesome ride today. Loved it on the steep stuff. Yeah, I can definitely climb better and longer as compared to the heavy Duro. Definitely easier to 'throw around' . Down hills, easier to gain control in around the rock gardens, which makes it less scary.

I could put much more torque and throw into the wheel that I felt on couple of occasions felt the tire slide or slip a little("peel out") , but not enough for me to lose balance. I guess I was still used to the heavier pressures needed for the Duro. Im sure with less knobby there's lesser of a 'bite' into the really loose stuff. But Im sure with more experience on the Knard with being lighter footed, sorta quickly skimming through the loose stuff, i can make up the difference.

I believe Kh lineup did right by choosing the Knard on the 26"/29".
Simply Lovin it!
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-06, 11:05 AM   #26
Moslki
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
That's a good question the product page from 2013 doesn't answer :/

However, Measuring your frame (leg length and crown width) can help you guess if a Duro would fit (either by comparing with other frames know to host a Duro or by retrieving the tire width and height from somebody with a Duro).

From there, you have 3 cases:

(1) You frame doesn't fit a Duro: you are out of luck and will have to stick with a 2.5 or 2.7 tire.

(2) You frame fits a Duro (tight fit): that is the most common case. That means you cannot run a Surly Knard (too big) but you can give a try to the Surly Dirt Wizard (reported with the same volume as a Duro)

(3) You frame fits a Duro (wide marging): this is the less likely case except if Qu-ax is making an insanely wide frame. However, that means the Surly Knard can fit.

According to the pic, it seems that the 2.5 tire has a good clearance on top so there is a chance a Duro can fit. If you don't know somebody with a Duro, let us know so someone here can take measurement for you (or the search feature can find that in the old threads).
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer and the 'Internet Archive' link. Good stuff. Will follow your suggestions of measuremetns and comparing it to other frames etc.. Thanks again
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-06, 04:28 PM   #27
superfunk
vegetable powered

24inch owners are getting some bad envy
superfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-06, 05:59 PM   #28
pierrox
Unicyclist

At least the 24" Duro is a tad lighter. And the smaller wheel makes it maneuverable.
Having said that, will Surly come up with a 24" version of the Knard?
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 08:03 AM   #29
superfunk
vegetable powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
At least the 24" Duro is a tad lighter. And the smaller wheel makes it maneuverable.
Having said that, will Surly come up with a 24" version of the Knard?
That would be awesome! What about asking as a community? I don't really know how to explain it in english, but if they receive lots of orders, they may consider a small production. Is it such a stupid idea?
superfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 03:05 PM   #30
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

Yes it is. 24" is practically dead in the bike industry, sad as that may be.

Besides, imo the duro is still an excellent tire. After feeling a 120 tpi knard, I wouldn't use it for muni. 27 tpi is much better.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duro, knard, leopard, surly