Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-10-29, 07:35 PM   #1
bwrightback
UniBri

Surly's fattish touring tire

This Winter, Surly is releasing the 26" ExtraTerrestrial tire! It should fit the 26" Rabbit Hole rims. Looks like it might be a great unicycle tire for hard packed dirt and road rides...maybe even some touring. I'm definitely getting a pair for my Surly Troll bike to take bikepacking, but unless they make a 24", I'll probably never unicycle with one.

What do you guys think? Anyone going to try it out? Looks comparable to the Marathon and Big Apple.

http://surlybikes.com/parts/tires/ex...trial_26_x_2.5

Bri

P.S. On a completely irrelevant note, I finally graduated nursing school last month and I have 4 days off a week, so hopefully I can get back to municyling more regularly. I'm willing to drive to Eugene, Bend, and the Southern OR coast if any fellow Oregonian unicyclists want to do some winter fat riding/Snuni/whatever the kids are calling it these days.
bwrightback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 08:53 PM   #2
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
it's not going on any of my unicycles, but will be the next touring tire for my LHT : )
Old 2015-10-29, 09:14 PM   #3
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

First off, huge congrats on graduating! A big way to go there. Enjoy your newly found free time. (And making money rather than just spending it, I'm guessing.)

My first thought on the ExtraTerrestrial was that I'd rather have a Hookworm plus the $100 difference. It looks like the ET will only be around twice the price, but Hookworms can go just about everywhere too.

And I had a chuckle when I saw that they've also got a rim called My Other Brother Darryl. That might be one of those "if you're old enough to remember" things though. Surly's product managers seem to be about my age. (Cf. "Hüsker Dü") It looks cool, if creeping towards selling us a box of air where there used to be a metal rim before they milled it all away.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 10:07 PM   #4
bwrightback
UniBri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
First off, huge congrats on graduating! A big way to go there. Enjoy your newly found free time. (And making money rather than just spending it, I'm guessing.)

My first thought on the ExtraTerrestrial was that I'd rather have a Hookworm plus the $100 difference. It looks like the ET will only be around twice the price, but Hookworms can go just about everywhere too.

And I had a chuckle when I saw that they've also got a rim called My Other Brother Darryl. That might be one of those "if you're old enough to remember" things though. Surly's product managers seem to be about my age. (Cf. "Hüsker Dü") It looks cool, if creeping towards selling us a box of air where there used to be a metal rim before they milled it all away.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to finally working my dream job.

Regarding the price, I thought $60 for a tire was pretty good. I'm so used to paying $100+ for my fatter tires, I got excited at the possible $60 price tag. But you're right, the hookworm is dirt cheap and performs well. I don't think I'd trust it as much on gravel and dirt though. But maybe it'll be best on pavement, in which case you may as well go with the Hookworm. Looking forward to the reviews.
Old 2015-10-29, 10:08 PM   #5
bwrightback
UniBri

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggleaddict View Post
it's not going on any of my unicycles, but will be the next touring tire for my LHT : )
If you have a 26" LHT, perfect! There's a rumor that it'll be available for 29ers as well. We'll see.
Old 2015-10-30, 01:37 AM   #6
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
26 for sure. I'm short : )
Old 2015-10-30, 01:46 AM   #7
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

I like it. Kind of 'nanoraptorish' which was a good 29er tire for uni's at one point...

Tags
fattish, surly, tire, touring