Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-08-26, 08:44 PM   #16
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
The use of support for learning is frequently debated. I am strongly of the opinion that using support such as a fence is detrimental to learning because it inhibits the fundamental action of riding, which is putting the wheel under your fall. Falls toward the fence cannot be controlled while the rider is disinclined to save the falls by riding away from the fence.
I agree with everything you said. However, there are some remedial skills in unicycling that may be effectively learned with a crutch. For example, learning how to keep pressure on the pedals throughout the 360 degrees of the pedal stroke. Also, learning which foot to remove first from the pedal, and at what position. Both these skills don't help in learning to ride, but they make learning safer.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-27, 07:06 AM   #17
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
However, there are some remedial skills in unicycling that may be effectively learned with a crutch.
I start learners off with support just to get feel for the uni and to understand how to do basic steering.

This is only for a few minutes before moving on to a takeoff pole or backstop. Best not let them stay too long with support. My goal is to have them riding ten metres unsupported within an hour so there isn't much time to waste.

Note that this is on a trials uni which is much easier to learn than the generally available cheapies, due to the longer cranks and wider tyre.
Old 2018-09-04, 03:30 AM   #18
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Note that this is on a trials uni which is much easier to learn than the generally available cheapies, due to the longer cranks and wider tyre.
This note is what inspired me to get a fat-tired 20 incher.

Tags
learn, uni