Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-01-01, 08:32 PM   #46
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcius View Post
You can't? I thought you just needed to use a 160mm front adaptor?
I was getting a unicycle prepped for a trip, Shaved down a d'Brake to use it with a Schlumpf and KH cranks. I was originally going to use a 180mm disk like I usually do but both my spares seemed to have disappeared. I "borrowed" the 160mm disk from my bike and when I tried using the 160R/180F adaptor flipped there were clearance issues at the bottom. I could not find my 160F adaptor, It was probably with the disks and a few more odds and ends I seem to be missing. It fit fine on the UCM.

I had thought that I had run a 160mm disk before so was surprised. You are probably right that I just needed the 160F adaptor.

Between the UCM, the d'Brake, and the custom Triton frame I had I don't necessarily remember all the combinations I have tried.
Old 2018-03-02, 12:45 PM   #47
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Mountain uni?

I find interesting this thread...
[OT]
What's mountain uni site to buy?
Someone spoke about square cranks with disc brake... where I can buy one?!? Does exist Sinz 125mm square-cotterless crank which could fit a disc brake? Where to buy in Europe?[\OT]
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-03, 08:26 PM   #48
caseytronic
Unicyclist

Mountain Uni doesn't have an active website anymore. there are some old pages here:

http://mountainuni.blogspot.com/

I believe Jeff, who runs it, may have some parts (UCM, Cranks, Discs) still available. I will PM you his email.
caseytronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-04, 01:08 AM   #49
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
Someone spoke about square cranks with disc brake...
This may present a challenge because a square taper spindle doesn't have a hard stop for the crank. In other words each time you remove and replace the crank it may end up in a different lateral position.

I know square taper disc brakes have been done in the past, but the lack of stop alone would sway me away from using one over an ISIS setup.
Old 2018-03-04, 06:39 AM   #50
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Thank you!

Thank you all for your precious help!
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 09:45 AM   #51
twelf
Unicyclist

Thanks for the help. Learned lots just by reading here.
twelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-01, 06:55 AM   #52
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Due to strong vibrations (unicycle turned in to a giant vibrator) on braking I had to do something to enforce the d'brake, so thanks for the tips in this thread. I used patentband which was what I had lying around. It's not ideal because it is soft, but with 3 lairs and bolts to hold them together it worked well. When I fitted the d'brake to my KH36, I had to use 3 washers between the brake and the D'brake to get the brake centered over the rotor. I think this may have increased the vibrations. The patentband was exactly the same size as the washers, so I could just replace the washers with the patentband. I went for a 23 miles ride yesterday, and the braking was very smooth on the steepest decents.

A few months ago I bought a d'brake for my KH36, but the bolts were not flush with the d'brake. The one on the bottom was too close to the spokes because it was sticking out. I replaced it with and older version of the d'brake that I had on an Oracle 24, which is the one in the photos. Vibrations was never an issue with any of my Oracles (24/26).
Attached Images

Last edited by UniMyra; 2018-07-01 at 06:56 AM.
UniMyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-01, 10:36 PM   #53
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32/G27.5, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
I had similar issues with bolt head sizes and the d-brake - I had to dig around in my parts box to find some that were just small enough to fit in.

Just a quick update on my strut - I'm now on version #4 but this one's been holding up well for a while so I've painted it to match

Tags
brake, dbrake, mountain, mounts, nimbus, ucm, uni