Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-08-27, 03:25 PM   #46
unigoat
Uni CX is a thing.

Ken, the off the cuff remark was fine. UNICON being used for a national or two nation event would be misleading given the name's current use for the bi-annual worldwide competition.

For those wanting to keep the North American in the list, figuring it is the most accurate, please reread the earlier post quoting the USA Rulebook. To compete, you must be from the USA or Canada.

In the public, non-unicycling forums, we will be referring to the 2013 gathering of unicyclists for championship and convention purposes sponsored by the Unicycling Society of America as the 2013 Unicycle Nationals.

Within the unicycling realm, on the medals and shirts, it will say NAUCC 2013 or North American Unicycling Convention and Championships, the official name of the event according to the USA Rulebook. Please note that in that rulebook it is suggested that the name NAUCC doesn't do much for the general public and it should be changed.

For those who want it to be something else other than the 2013 Unicycle Nationals, please think of advertising it to those who have no idea what the sport entails. We're thinking in terms of print and radio. We will clarify what the event entails once we get further in the article or conversation.

Please try saying alternative names out loud, think of how they'll be ultimately butchered, and listen to yourself for the flow.

Now you know where we're at. We've been doing this for weeks.

The Facebook page for the event is 2013 Unicycle Nationals because it is a place where we're sending the non-unicycling public to see what the sport is about. On the forums, we're addressing unicyclists, so NAUCC 2013 works.

I apologize if this is getting a bit snarky. Frankly, it's getting a bit frustrating to spend time putting out fires about people being upset about the name. 70 mostly negative comments about the name from unicyclists on a Facebook post that we weren't invited to doesn't help the cause of us solving the public image problem unicycling has.

Last edited by unigoat; 2012-08-27 at 03:25 PM.
unigoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 06:01 PM   #47
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by unigoat View Post
I apologize if this is getting a bit snarky. Frankly, it's getting a bit frustrating to spend time putting out fires about people being upset about the name.
Welcome to the joys of organizing NAUCC!

Seriously, you're doing fine. The earlier you give up the idea that you have to make everyone happy, the better off you'll be. Do the things that make sense to you, and don't get lost in the noise.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 06:14 PM   #48
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

^^What Tholub said, your doing a hard job, so as much as it can be it's your call, one name for those in the know, another so the general public understands.

Let me know how I can help, we're in Tennessee, so I won't be able to do anything on the ground other than the week of the event, but maybe there's something I can do from afar?

I'll admit that I am quite bothered by the USA rules stating that only American and Canadian residents can participate. I believe this is an insurance thing, but considering the international nature of unicycling and the large(r) population of riders South of the border, I think this needs to be addressed.

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-08-27 at 06:15 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 06:38 PM   #49
unicycle6869
Level 10 Rider!

Send a message via MSN to unicycle6869 Send a message via Skype™ to unicycle6869
IMHO I think Unicon should be called the "World Unicycle Championships" cause that's what it is, it's short, simple and to the point.
unicycle6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 07:09 PM   #50
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
I'll admit that I am quite bothered by the USA rules stating that only American and Canadian residents can participate. I believe this is an insurance thing, but considering the international nature of unicycling and the large(r) population of riders South of the border, I think this needs to be addressed.
I don't think it plausibly can be an insurance thing, because lots of people who aren't Americans and Canadians participate. At U Games, Martin Charrier won the MUni events, but wasn't granted the "national champion" title because he's from France. But he still was on the trails jumping on rocks, which is all the insurance company cares about.

I think Mexico and Central America should be included, and I'd be for including South America as well.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 10:53 PM   #51
Julia B
Flatland!

First I'll address the facebook thing.

Almost all of the street/flat community has migrated to facebook, resulting in two, basically mutually exclusive, groups of online unicyclists. Almost everything that you see me post on these forums I have already discussed at length with others on facebook. So naturally, before discussing the name directly with you I wanted to get an idea for how other people felt about it and maybe suggestions for an alternate name. It has been made very clear to me the last couple months that criticizing without proposing a solution or anything else is... frowned upon, to put it lightly. I posted the following in a public group called "Unicycle Chat" which is open and accessible to anyone.

"NAUCC 2013 is now 2013 Unicycle Nationals....... thoughts? personally i'm not a fan"

I'm not sure why you take such offense to people discussing the event without your explicit permission. Again, it was a public post in a public messageboard much like these forums, accessible to everyone including yourself.

I guess there was a misunderstanding about the name. I saw at least one post to the effect of "NAUCC is now 2013 Unicycle Nationals!" which IMO gives the impression that you changed the name to 2013 Unicycle Nationals. If it's just a nickname, fine. Going forward we still need to find a suitable name though, and the interesting possibilities involving "unicycle" seem to be dwindling. UniChamps could be great though, or going into the less identifiable names (as tholub noted) like Super Bowl or Stanley Cup. In BMX they have names like Simpel Session and Dew Tour, so a less obvious name could work in the future.

I had no idea NAUCC didn't include Mexico! We should scrap NAUCC, at a bare minimum the name has to be accurate.

JUST KIDDING! Too soon, sorry.

Anyway it would be awesome to include latin america and south america, then we could have, say, the 2014 American UniChamps. In any case it seems that many people (mostly those pesky australians/nz people) don't want to share uninats or change unicon. So our (North) American competition is going to have to be original if we want a new name.

In a previous life:
2012 Women's Flatland World Champion

Team Mad4One
Team Unicycle.tv
Team Elevated Clothing Co.

Truth
Monarch
Julia B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 11:35 PM   #52
Julia B
Flatland!

I'm not doing well with the double posts lately.

What about: CanAm Unicycle Championships? Descriptive, relatively short, difficult to butcher...

In a previous life:

Team Mad4One
Team Unicycle.tv

Truth
Monarch
Old 2012-08-28, 04:06 AM   #53
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Right now, being a National (or North American) Champion, coupled with $2, will get you a small cup of coffee at most coffee shops. I speak from experience.
I thought most coffee shops were Starbucks? I don't think $2 actually gets you any coffee in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDuck View Post
Well, UNICON also stands for Uni-CONtinental championships.
Not intentionally. Someone figured that out later. It originally just meant "Unicycle Convention".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDuck View Post
I think the extra 'C' is for Convention rather than Conference
See? If forum members with over 2000 posts don't know what NAUCC stands for, why should we expect the press to get it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterthompson View Post
It was such a pain to try to explain to everybody what I was going to last year and half the time I got it wrong
Precisely. Remember, the purpose of the name should be to market the event outside the unicycling community. We already know about it. Dave and his team have the right idea, and it's early enough in the year that they have time to focus on such things.

Quote:
Within the unicycling realm, on the medals and shirts, it will say NAUCC 2013 or North American Unicycling Convention and Championships, the official name of the event according to the USA Rulebook. Please note that in that rulebook it is suggested that the name NAUCC doesn't do much for the general public and it should be changed.
As can the rules that require using that name on your convention's stuff if you come up with a better name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unigoat
Please try saying alternative names out loud, think of how they'll be ultimately butchered, and listen to yourself for the flow.
I've been trying to explain this to people for years (including that passage in the USA Rulebook). Don't expect most people to get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unigoat
...it's getting a bit frustrating to spend time putting out fires about people being upset about the name.
So don't. Any publicity is good publicity, right? Don't worry, the people who are really into unicycling will come regardless of a name. Listen to the complainers, but don't feel you have to please everybody. You can't. Just please the ones that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
The population of unicyclists south of the border is unknown. Like I stated earlier, I'm not aware of any USA members in Mexico, ever. Not to marginalize Mexico or any other part of NA outside of US and Canada, just a reminder that there's essentially zero pressure from those areas at present.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's our insurance company that leaves us stuck with just US and Canada. Note that Puerto Rico is part of the US, passport-wise, so everyone from that island, which has a long and colorful unicycling history, is able to compete. There's a whole, long story with the insurance, but for terms of this discussion it boils down to it being really, really expensive just for the US and Canada. Not sure how bad it would be to include additional countries that encompass less than 1% of USA membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycle6869 View Post
IMHO I think Unicon should be called the "World Unicycle Championships" cause that's what it is, it's short, simple and to the point.
It's kind of the other way around, where the World Unicycling Championships is called Unicon, for short. Usually that longer name is included on well-formed promotional materials.

By the same token, U Games was also a more marketable front-end that was applied to North American Unicycling Convention and Championships. That name was still there, in the background. Sorry if I got the two C's in the wrong order. I tried to check it at the USA's website, but after drilling down to the "NAUCC" page, it incorrectly names the event "The North American Unicycling Competition and Convention (NAUCC)". Oops. I rest my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholub View Post
At U Games, Martin Charrier won the MUni events, but wasn't granted the "national champion" title because he's from France. But he still was on the trails jumping on rocks, which is all the insurance company cares about.
You've got a point there, maybe it isn't the insurance. Wendy Grzych is the insurance contact person; the one to ask. Martin was not allowed to win a title because he's not from North America and it's the North American championships. This was a very important distinction in 2002 when the two events were back to back, in the same place. That rule was made official then to keep the 2002 convention from becoming a "Unicon 11 practice meet".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B View Post
It has been made very clear to me the last couple months that criticizing without proposing a solution or anything else is... frowned upon, to put it lightly.
Being constructive makes you a participant! If you mostly only criticize or complain it just makes you annoying (not "you" you, but people who don't get more involved).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B
I'm not sure why you take such offense to people discussing the event without your explicit permission. Again, it was a public post in a public messageboard much like these forums, accessible to everyone including yourself.
He's hosting the next convention, and naturally wants people to be positive about it. He can't exactly have that positive influence on a discussion he doesn't even know about.
Quote:
If it's just a nickname, fine. Going forward we still need to find a suitable name though, and the interesting possibilities involving "unicycle" seem to be dwindling.
Please understand that it doesn't really matter if it's a nickname or not. It matters if it helps advance the agenda of the USA Inc. (in short, to promote unicycling). But you're right about names with "unicycle" in them. That word alone, though short, is four syllables, and stops a lot of people in their tracks because they have to think about what a unicycle is. "Massive unicycle competition/convention" is a tough idea to convey in few words!
Quote:
In any case it seems that many people (mostly those pesky australians/nz people) don't want to share uninats or change unicon.
UniNats is useless as a marketing name. Unicon is better, but still doesn't paint the picture without either more words or pictures. I doubt anyone owns "uninats" so it's available to "borrow" if one wants. The same is true for Unicon, though now the IUF may be looking into a trademark for that one. Not to hog it, but to protect it. So far I don't think there has been a formal discussion of whether to apply it to other events besides, uh, Unicon.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2012-08-28 at 04:10 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 07:06 PM   #54
toracyclist
toracyclist

Red face I could compete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne.Kj View Post
No. Two years are absolutely fine to learn unicycling and go for some of the competitons. After beeing a noncompetitor in Switzerland (2006) I decided to learn it so I could be a competitor in Denmark (2008), where I live. I have never won anything, but it is fun anyway.

Best regards,
Sanne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hogan View Post
There will be plenty of events you could enter by then
Like what? All I could do is ride?
toracyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 02:26 PM   #55
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toracyclist View Post
Ok.. January 2011 I could only ride about 100m before I was eith exhausted or UPD'd. I signed up the Dusseldorf uni marathon which was in May 2011 and for the Yunnani tour in China in the August... riding nearly 500k over 2 weeks at altitude.

You will have way more time to practice than I had
Alan Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 09:14 PM   #56
Sanne.Kj
56 blood donations :)

Quote:
Sign up for the 100 m, the 400 m, the 800 m - and the 10 km. If I could do it, you can do it too!

Best regards,
Sanne

Last edited by Sanne.Kj; 2012-09-03 at 09:15 PM.
Sanne.Kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 10:32 PM   #57
toracyclist
toracyclist

Quote:
Ok..

You will have way more time to practice than I had
That is not true. I have school six days a week from 7:40-6:15 except for Friday were I end at 12:00. On Thursday I end at 8:00 and Saturday my only day off is my Sabbath and I don't unicycle on it. Also what size unicycle do you need to compete? I only got a 20" and don't have enough $$ to get another uni.

Last edited by toracyclist; 2012-09-03 at 10:35 PM.
Old 2012-09-03, 10:45 PM   #58
Julia B
Flatland!

Quote:
That is not true. I have school six days a week from 7:40-6:15 except for Friday were I end at 12:00. On Thursday I end at 8:00 and Saturday my only day off is my Sabbath and I don't unicycle on it. Also what size unicycle do you need to compete? I only got a 20" and don't have enough $$ to get another uni.
I think he just meant that he had 3 months and you have two years. Don't worry about competitions now. Just keep riding, and when you figure out what sort of unicycling you like then you'll know what competitions to register for and what unicycle you'll need.

In a previous life:

Team Mad4One
Team Unicycle.tv

Truth
Monarch
Old 2012-09-04, 12:36 AM   #59
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

Quote:
There are tonnes of events you can enter with a 20.... as for time to practice you will have plenty in 2 years, you get need to get on and do it!!
Alan Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 02:32 AM   #60
toracyclist
toracyclist

Thumbs up Awsome

Quote:
There are tonnes of events you can enter with a 20.... as for time to practice you will have plenty in 2 years, you get need to get on and do it!!
Sounds Cool

Tags
preplanning, rumors, unicon