Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-10-27, 03:13 PM   #1
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Question Drilled rims questions

Newbie in learning phase. I have picked up a used KH trials unicycle to learn on. I have had a few other unicycles, I like this one considerably better. However, do the drilled rims weight savings really justify all the dirt and grit that gets into them? I think those holes just make it harder to clean and keep clean.

Wouldn't having these holes just invite more dirt and grime to accumulate negating any weight savings?

Once I learn to Unicycle properly / half decently etc. I want to buy brand new, another trials uni, and a mountain uni, probably 24" to start. Once comfortable with those, gradually acquire larger sizes.

As much as I like the KH 20, I don't like those holes in the rim. So I was thinking about going with another brand that makes good strong unicycles without holes in the rim. QU-AX and Nimbus seem to be pretty good.

I prefer to go for durable products that last logest requiring least and easist maintenance.

However, I am willing to reconsider, depending on what sort of answers I get.
Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 05:57 PM   #2
jtrops
Unicyclist

I only have one drilled rim (TryAll), and it's on my MUni. I haven't noticed much accumulation of crud inside the rim. My theory is that the gap is pretty shallow, so thick mud doesn't really get in there, and the more watery runny stuff just flows out. Also, the rim strip bulges out a bit, and closes up a lot of the gap.
Old 2017-10-27, 07:05 PM   #3
song
Unicyclist

My uni has a KH20FL rim. It used to have a KH hub as well, but I had to replace the hub because it was so noisy, as most KH hubs seem to have been for a period of 5 years or so.

If I rinse my tire off after a muddy ride, water does get inside the rim. I splash it out with repeated spinning and bouncing. From this forum, I have also learned that if my tire pressure reaches 80 psi, the innertube will explode through the rim tape at one of the drill-outs. The tire I have could otherwise handle 110 psi. I would probably never want it that hard, and you probably wouldn't either, since you're talking about trials and muni, but that is another issue with drilled-out rims.

In my opinion, the drill-outs are not helpful, but if I were a contender for world unicycle high jump champion, I might feel differently. For my purposes, the Nimbus Dominator2 rim seems perfectly good. It's strong, has no drill-outs, and is 5mm narrower than the KH rim, which means that any fat tire, though slightly less wide, is just a tiny bit thicker.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 09:03 PM   #4
bouin-bouin
Didier

With drilled rims you cannot use very thin and light tube at high pressure without avoiding puncture. I think this is not optimum from weight and wheel inertia point of view, I prefer undrilled rims
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 09:07 PM   #5
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

OK, so only a slight benefit in weight reduction. I found the holes to accumulate dirty crud, and like to keep my possesions clean when possible.

What is this about KH hubs being noisy? Is this on the current models? The KH 20 I have is beat up and probably older. Haven't noticed the hub being noisy. Wouldn't that be bearings?

I think of the KH 20 as a learner sized Muni.

When I opt for something newer I might have to go with something else to avoid those holes. When I started out I had to replace all my tires with high psi as I was flattening them at 50 psi, and blowing them off the rim going over that. After I lost a few pounds trying to learn unicycling, I no longer need high psi tires, trials 19" hold me up OK now, and I assume 24 x 3 mountain bike tires will also do that sufficiently.

I hope to eventually become a half decent or better mountain unicyclist.

Looks like I will have to look to Nimbus or QU-AX in the future.
Old 2017-10-28, 05:00 AM   #6
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
What is this about KH hubs being noisy?
Here is a thread I started about this problem. It has links to similar threads from earlier years.
Quote:
Is this on the current models? The KH 20 I have is beat up and probably older. Haven't noticed the hub being noisy. Wouldn't that be bearings?
No, it wasn't a problem with the bearings, it was poor design of the hub itself. KH finally got around to fixing it in about 2015.

KH hubs older than about 2008(?) do not creak, and I don't think the current ones do either. Their product description says, in two different places, "The Spirit hub is forged from a single piece of CrMo material. This results in a beautifully simple, strong and reliable hub." Yes, in other words, unlike the one we were selling before!
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-28, 05:01 AM   #7
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
What is this about KH hubs being noisy?
Some of the older hubs were, I think, made from three parts, pressed together. Eventually, there would develop some play between the parts, and that caused the noise. Some newer hubs are one part, forged.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-28, 05:09 AM   #8
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
From this forum, I have also learned that if my tire pressure reaches 80 psi, the innertube will explode through the rim tape at one of the drill-outs.
Another reason to use the forum search function...

Last edited by elpuebloUNIdo; 2017-10-28 at 05:09 AM.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-28, 05:43 AM   #9
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Quote:
Here is a thread I started about this problem. It has links to similar threads from earlier years.
No, it wasn't a problem with the bearings, it was poor design of the hub itself. KH finally got around to fixing it in about 2015.

KH hubs older than about 2008(?) do not creak, and I don't think the current ones do either. Their product description says, in two different places, "The Spirit hub is forged from a single piece of CrMo material. This results in a beautifully simple, strong and reliable hub." Yes, in other words, unlike the one we were selling before!
Thanks Song.

This KH 20 I have is probably pre 2008.

I get the impression that eventually it may be necessary to learn wheel building, and get on top of the information of various parts that go into them.
Old 2017-10-29, 02:59 AM   #10
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
KH hubs older than about 2008(?) do not creak, and I don't think the current ones do either.
If you went for a ride with me on my old Wilder (Profile 48-spline axle), I don't think you would hear your hub at all.

As for "holey" rims, the holes do not necessarily make it lighter. When I redid the wheel on my KH Schlumpf 36" in 2011, I upgraded to the new Nimbus Stealth rim with the holes in it. I made my own rim strip from old aluminum window blinds, painted to match my frame, which probably negated the weight of the holes by the time I had them securely taped in there. But I like the way it looks, and it doesn't bulge at all. However, a year or two later, the following iteration of the Stealth rim had no holes, and apparently was lighter anyway! I like light, but not at the expense of strength; I prefer bombproof for most situations.
Attached Images

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)

Last edited by johnfoss; 2017-10-29 at 03:00 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-29, 04:15 AM   #11
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

I also want bomb proof over slightly lighter weight.

To me those holes are primarily rim weakening crud catchers, making clean up a much bigger job.

Eventually stronger and lighter better deisned parts made with better materials will probably become available over time. I would rather go with what is simple and strong and current.
Old 2017-10-29, 10:10 AM   #12
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quite honestly, I think Munis are WAY overbuilt for what most people use them for. Most Munis you can buy are capable of handling drops over a meter easily, which, let's face it, 90% of riders don't do. For the average rider (especially a beginner), I wouldn't come close to worrying about a KH wheelset. If it lasts Ryan Kremsater, it will last you just fine.

I have a 26" Nimbus oracle, and so far, I haven't had to true the wheel, even after trying drops bigger than myself.

That being said, I also think weight on a uni is pretty irrelevant, and that with unicycles you usually get the best price to performance at relatively little money.

On a side note, I don't recommend 24". It's not much faster than a 20", a 26" or 27.5" in my opinion makes you noticable enough faster than walking, while a 24" doesn't.
Old 2017-10-29, 12:03 PM   #13
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

For strength, you would want more material where the spokes are, and less between them. But that's not practical for an extruded aluminum rim.

So drilling holes between spokes is a cheap way to get the same effect. I would say that a drilled rim is using the material better, and would be stronger than a same-weight undrilled rim (since the drilled rim started heavier everywhere, and removed unnecessary weight to end up in the same place).

And beginners can be just as hard on wheels as experts, since beginners tend to have lots of bad landings. But I agree with Finnspinn that muni wheels are plenty strong enough. It's always the other stuff that breaks for me.
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 11:13 AM   #14
Moslki
Unicyclist

Quote:
Newbie in learning phase. I have picked up a used KH trials unicycle to learn on. I have had a few other unicycles, I like this one considerably better. However, do the drilled rims weight savings really justify all the dirt and grit that gets into them? I think those holes just make it harder to clean and keep clean.

Wouldn't having these holes just invite more dirt and grime to accumulate negating any weight savings?

Once I learn to Unicycle properly / half decently etc. I want to buy brand new, another trials uni, and a mountain uni, probably 24" to start. Once comfortable with those, gradually acquire larger sizes.

As much as I like the KH 20, I don't like those holes in the rim. So I was thinking about going with another brand that makes good strong unicycles without holes in the rim. QU-AX and Nimbus seem to be pretty good.

I prefer to go for durable products that last logest requiring least and easist maintenance.

However, I am willing to reconsider, depending on what sort of answers I get.
Hi there, I've got a couple of KH Munis (24 and 26) and couldn't be happier. I don't see the drilled rims as anything to worry about (as far as I can see the mud is not a problem). Where I live the weather is very wet all year round so most of my Muni rides are in extremely wet conditions with plenty of mud and puddles. I've never bothered to clean the Municycles afterwards as I think you might do more damage than good and I think is a waste of time anyway (next ride they will get muddy again!). I bought these two particular KH unis because of the wider rim (compared to Nimbus and Quax) and love them. I also have Nimbuss and Quax Unis and both are also great Brands. If I was you I would base my choice of purchase on whatever spec you are after at the time (sometimes might be a good price, others might be crank choice/rim width/tyre etc..). I wouldn't give much thought to the mud/dirt in combination with the rims being drilled.
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 05:09 PM   #15
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moslki View Post
Hi there, I've got a couple of KH Munis (24 and 26) and couldn't be happier. I don't see the drilled rims as anything to worry about (as far as I can see the mud is not a problem). Where I live the weather is very wet all year round so most of my Muni rides are in extremely wet conditions with plenty of mud and puddles. I've never bothered to clean the Municycles afterwards as I think you might do more damage than good and I think is a waste of time anyway (next ride they will get muddy again!). I bought these two particular KH unis because of the wider rim (compared to Nimbus and Quax) and love them. I also have Nimbuss and Quax Unis and both are also great Brands. If I was you I would base my choice of purchase on whatever spec you are after at the time (sometimes might be a good price, others might be crank choice/rim width/tyre etc..). I wouldn't give much thought to the mud/dirt in combination with the rims being drilled.
Hi,

From what I know so far, Kris Holm has the best seats and cranks. The wider rim is a great plus. The drilled rims and outside of frame baloney slicer disc brake might be minuses. Disc brakes, especially outside the frame, are potential safety hazards: https://cyclingtips.com/2016/04/vent...-giant-knives/ http://www.unicyclist.it/forum_forum...=65&post=16589

Too bad rim brakes don't work as well. Would keep things simpler, lighter, and safer. Is a safety shield available? (more weight cost, etc.) It also seems that you cannot buy ready made the best unicycle hardware without a disk brake installed. I see this on Nimbus and QU AX, no option to not have brakes in the KH Muni. I don't know about other brands.

On KH products it would have been nice to have an option of ordering them without drilled rims and without disk brakes. It would save a few dollars, some weight, etc. I am thinking of going without any brake when I buy a Muni in the future.

Is there is a good strong long set of cranks full of holes (more than 2) available? Then I could just set the pedals long for downhill, short for speed, etc. I have seen some quick change pedals available. Don't know how good they are. That would be simpler and safer.

Last edited by Up Rite; 2017-10-30 at 05:10 PM.

Tags
drilled, questions, rims