Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-11-04, 08:18 AM   #1
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Help choosing a Muni

Hi all. It's about one year that I bought my Huni-rex. I modded it to a 3.5" road tire (42" virtual wheel) and solved any kind of pedal-stroke issue.
I can ride for 40 minutes on flat than I'm completely tired. I cannot go backwards nor idle, nor do any sort of basic trick... so I'm considering downgrading to a smaller wheel!

Could I learn idling on a 26 Hatchet? How much does it weight? Do you have experience with a Fat 26 URC? Can you tell me the different feelings using both? No problem riding a tank, I'm used to

Last edited by Vogelfrei80; 2017-11-04 at 08:19 AM.
Vogelfrei80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-04, 08:31 PM   #2
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Yes you can learn to idle on a Hatchet. No it won't be as easy as learning on a 20" with a "regular sized" wheel (much lighter and quicker to move). Then you can have lots of fun riding trails on the Hatchet, which would be not-so-much on the lightweight 20". Sounds like a win to me!

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-04, 09:18 PM   #3
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

I used to idle a Coker Big One with the heavy steel rim, and I'm barely an average rider, so yes, you can idle the hatchet - or any other uni you buy. Go for it.
Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-04, 10:46 PM   #4
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Thank you for your help!

So I'll go ungeared!

I cannot find review about URC fat 26"... It seems quite cheap but I don't know URC quality. Any experience?

I cannot find review about 26" Impact. Is it for a wide tire too?

Really thank you guys! I'm looking for a fat one which can make me happy and my wife not too much nervous (2nd child'll born within few days and his father thinking about unicycles... )
Old 2017-11-14, 03:08 AM   #5
Jener8or
Unicyclist

Hi! The URC fat 26" that I found has cotterless cranks, so if you're planning on doing any actual off-roading or want to upgrade in the future, I would advise against getting it. I couldn't find a 26" Impact unicycle anywhere. Do you have a link to one you are referring to?
Jener8or is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-14, 10:14 AM   #6
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jener8or View Post
Hi! The URC fat 26" that I found has cotterless cranks, so if you're planning on doing any actual off-roading or want to upgrade in the future, I would advise against getting it. I couldn't find a 26" Impact unicycle anywhere. Do you have a link to one you are referring to?
The URC definetely has ISIS cranks. Decent uni for a good price and with good options, I'd pick dual holed cranks and a double walled rim, but pick what suits you the most.
http://unaruota.com/ZC/index.php?mai...97&language=en
I know one guy riding the URC 26", he had a manufacturing defect wheel at first , but they replaced it immediately (he was also one of the first to buy one, I think later ones will not have that issue now), and now it's a great Muni for him.
Old 2017-11-14, 02:03 PM   #7
Jener8or
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
The URC definetely has ISIS cranks. Decent uni for a good price and with good options, I'd pick dual holed cranks and a double walled rim, but pick what suits you the most.
http://unaruota.com/ZC/index.php?mai...97&language=en
I know one guy riding the URC 26", he had a manufacturing defect wheel at first , but they replaced it immediately (he was also one of the first to buy one, I think later ones will not have that issue now), and now it's a great Muni for him.
That one looks better. Here's the one I was looking at: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unicycle-UR.../dp/B06VX18D5R.

Edit: in the description I noticed it did say "ISIS hub" but the pictures show square taper cranks.

Last edited by Jener8or; 2017-11-14 at 02:06 PM.
Jener8or is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-21, 09:43 AM   #8
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jener8or View Post
https://www.unicycle.uk.com/26-impac...hite-32mm.html
Old 2017-11-21, 09:46 AM   #9
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

I bought a 29" Kh with disc brake because of an offer. Do you know which tire could the 2015 frame could mount? I'm using a KH freeride rim and wish I could use a 3- 3.8 tire
Old 2017-11-23, 06:29 AM   #10
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
I bought a 29" Kh with disc brake because of an offer. Do you know which tire could the 2015 frame could mount? I'm using a KH freeride rim and wish I could use a 3- 3.8 tire
For tires over 3", only specific frames like the Nimbus Oregon / Hatchet, Mad4One Large frame, URC fat frame or other custom frames (Triton, Flansberrium...).

The good news is : except for the Nimbus frame, all the other frames listed have 100mm bearings spacing. That means they will work with your KH if you decide to go over 3".
Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-24, 12:41 PM   #11
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

KH 29" vs geared 26"

I bought a KH 29" and used today for the first time! It's so featherweight! Seems I was driving a tank using my geared 26... now it's completely different! I don't even know that riding a unicycle means so much legs movement. It's an aerobic exercise, I was used to think as a strenght training, not an endurance one! I don't know if I could ever spin pedals fast enought to make a tight turn. Have you got any advice for me?
Old 2017-11-24, 05:21 PM   #12
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
I don't know if I could ever spin pedals fast enought to make a tight turn. Have you got any advice for me?
Not sure if I fully understand your question but:

To make a tight turn at reasonable speed, lean the unicycle, keeping your upper body as near to vertical as you reasonably can. The more the unicycle wheel leans, the faster it will turn. If you try not to lean your self with it, it will lean further and therefore turn faster. In real world riding, this is not a technique I use often as I seldom need to make a tight turn at speed.

To make a very tight turn such as turning round on a narrow path, slow right down. You will probably favour one foot. In my case, I usually idle with my left foot down, but my right foot is stronger for turning. Once you have slowed down and made yourself some room by positioning yourself to one side of the path, push the pedal down and turn in that direction, scrubbing the tyre. In my case, I find it easier to push the right pedal down and turn sharply to the right. Of corse, I can do either direction, but I have one side that is more reliable in a tight situation.

When you get better at it, you will also be able to push your right foot down, turning left (or vice versa).

You will find that as you get better at it, it will be smoother and you will think less about it.

Remember that you are the one who chooses how fast to pedal.
Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-24, 10:31 PM   #13
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Not sure if I fully understand your question but:

To make a tight turn at reasonable speed, lean the unicycle, keeping your upper body as near to vertical as you reasonably can. The more the unicycle wheel leans, the faster it will turn. If you try not to lean your self with it, it will lean further and therefore turn faster. In real world riding, this is not a technique I use often as I seldom need to make a tight turn at speed.

To make a very tight turn such as turning round on a narrow path, slow right down. You will probably favour one foot. In my case, I usually idle with my left foot down, but my right foot is stronger for turning. Once you have slowed down and made yourself some room by positioning yourself to one side of the path, push the pedal down and turn in that direction, scrubbing the tyre. In my case, I find it easier to push the right pedal down and turn sharply to the right. Of corse, I can do either direction, but I have one side that is more reliable in a tight situation.

When you get better at it, you will also be able to push your right foot down, turning left (or vice versa).

You will find that as you get better at it, it will be smoother and you will think less about it.

Remember that you are the one who chooses how fast to pedal.
I'll try tomorrow for the fast tight turn but I wonder when I'll get used spinning pedals so fast! My question was about the feeling of downgrading my wheel: no more high torque required to move, but plenty of energy required to speed up (cannot stand too many RPM)
Old 2017-11-25, 05:20 AM   #14
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Sounds like maybe you could use shorter cranks? Depends on what you have now, and how steep your trails are. You certainly don't need speed to make tight turns, it's easier to do them slowly. The slower you go, the less you need to lean. But it's more fun to do it fast, so just go a little faster each time and follow Mikefule's advice. You'll get it.

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-25, 05:36 AM   #15
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Put your pedals in the 127 holes and things will dampen a bit.

Myself, I would try to pedal with a little acceleration in your corners. Slow corners tend to be choppy. Accelerating in a corner will keep you smooth.

I would also try and keep my upper body in line with my uni to keep the centre of gravity closer to your body's centre of gravity. Once you get some speed then you can really lean the uni.

I also grab the handlebars with my inside corner hand if I don't have both hands on the bars. This helps keep things way smoother which then allows me to put more energy to the wheel.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choosing, muni