Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-03-14, 01:13 AM   #16
Unisomniac
Late Night Unicyclist

So from what I've gathered, 27.5x4.5 Barbegazi fitment on the hatchet frame shouldn't be an issue.
(Thanks for crunching the numbers reeny/saskatchewanian/paochow)

I really would prefer the widest rim on the market.
27.5" x85mm (wild dragon ii) is listed on nextie but under specifications, it's listed as a 26 :/
27.5" x 65mm (black eagle ii) is listed as 27.5/650b compatible.

Does anyone know of any other options (80mm-100 mm 27.5 rims are probably a year or two out of the mainstream market from what I've gathered)

My other concern is the strength/durability of a 32h carbon rim in a muni application. Nextie has an option for the larger atomlab torque nipples. Is that something I should consider? The last thing I need is having my new 1000$+ uni grenading itself after its first UPD.

As for the argument that there are more options if I go the standard 26" fatty route. Yes, there are, but if I'm going custom uni route, why not be the one of the first guys out there with a 27.5 fatty? After all, none of us unicycle to blend in.

That being said, I'm just trying to do my homework first.
You can't innovate if you are uninformed.
Old 2017-05-26, 02:33 AM   #17
caseytronic
Unicyclist

DHR 29x3.0 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCFreerider View Post
After looking at the Hatchet for a long long time, I personally ended up buying the KH 29+ with the 29x3" Maxxis Minion DHR II last month, as I decided that for me the 3.0" was enough width.

I don't know the tire myself, but concerning the 27.5x4.5 barbagazi/gnarwall tires, you just need to ty and find the width and true height measurements on a given rim width (I found similar stuff for lots of tires on the fat mountain bike forums). Also the bead-to-bead meaurement can help with estimates too if you don't find the exact combo tire/rim you want to try.

My gut feeling says that the 4.5 width should fit and your only real limitation should be the frame height. For example the Surly Lou 26x4.8 has a total height/diameter of 778mm and bead-to-bead of 260mm and fits for sure. Sorry no links, but I am pretty sure the Lou 4.8 fits as it was on my list for my possible setup for the Hatchet. Oh, if I remember right, I think the Bud 4.8 is a touch bigger and is fitting in the Oregon (from post here).

So check if you can find the bead-to-bead, effective diameter/height and width numbers and see what the widest rim that will fit.

I measured my 29+ Maxxis DHR II 3.0 at 180mm bead-to-bead and 764mm height/diameter on the KH Freeride 47mm rim (don't have my width measurement here but I think it was right under 3.0") and I have ample vertical and horizontal room in the KH frame and the Hatchet it much wider.

According to measurements from the Internet, the 29+ Dirt Wizzard is slightly smaller than the DHR II at 761mm height and a bit less than 3.0" width on the 47mm KH).
If anyone's interested, I Posted a quick review of the Maxxis Minion DHR II 29x3.0 tire for sand riding with a Nimbus Oracle here:

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...=85894&page=27
caseytronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-26, 09:59 PM   #18
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

Send a message via AIM to crazyunicyclerNJ
I have the 29x3 on my frame now and a 26x5 for winter season. love both
crazyunicyclerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-29, 04:30 AM   #19
caseytronic
Unicyclist

crazyunicyclerNJ (or others):
Curious how you would compare the 26x5 to the 29x3. I'm trying to use this tire for paddling through deep sand. The 29x3 does well if I can build a bit of momentum, but if the sand is really deep or churned up it finally ends up digging in and stopping me.

Does the 26.5 float way better than the 29x3? Any other differences? Any thoughts on a 26x4?

Thanks.
Old 2017-05-29, 01:22 PM   #20
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

Send a message via AIM to crazyunicyclerNJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseytronic View Post
crazyunicyclerNJ (or others):
Curious how you would compare the 26x5 to the 29x3. I'm trying to use this tire for paddling through deep sand. The 29x3 does well if I can build a bit of momentum, but if the sand is really deep or churned up it finally ends up digging in and stopping me.

Does the 26.5 float way better than the 29x3? Any other differences? Any thoughts on a 26x4?

Thanks.
I actually prefer the 29 where I ride as I like the larger size. I ride a lot of technical trails, the 26x5 is good on it and cushions a lot more. i had more difficulty with larger obstacles likely because I had a lower tire pressure and the tire deformed more to go over it than the 29x3.

What I did notice also was my 29x2.25 vs my 29x3 (completely different unis) is that the 29x3 was more forgiving when you didnt get your line right in the technical part, the 26x5 even moreso sometimes, but was easier to get stuck between 2 rocks
crazyunicyclerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 01:40 PM   #21
oldgreyhead

27.5++

Regarding Unisomniacís idea of a 27.5++ Hatchet, there is the SUNringle Mulefut 32H-hole 80 mm (75 inner width). Itís the same brand they use on the 27.5 Hatchet only 30mm wider. Price isnít bad, either.

Iím thinking about buying a Hatchet and having a build with this rim (US UDC has 125mm 32 hole disc hubs in stock). Then I could use the 3.8 Maxxis Minion FBR or the 4.5 Barbegazi and Iím sure there will be many more options to come. I was tempted to get the 26, but just like the 27.5 wheel size so much more (I have 26 and 27.5 Oracles).

Iím not sure why this hasnít been done yet (even by UDC) but maybe Iím missing something.
oldgreyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-13, 01:44 PM   #22
Unisomniac
Late Night Unicyclist

Unhappy Sales, Marketing, Strength?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgreyhead View Post
Regarding Unisomniacís idea of a 27.5++ Hatchet, there is the SUNringle Mulefut 32H-hole 80 mm (75 inner width). Itís the same brand they use on the 27.5 Hatchet only 30mm wider. Price isnít bad, either.

Iím not sure why this hasnít been done yet (even by UDC) but maybe Iím missing something.
A big wide single walled rim doesn't exactly inspire confidence during any kind of impact likely to occur during the type of riding that this sort of setup might be used for.

The Hatchet is a new product. It makes better business sense to market it with a smaller (read stronger and cheaper) rim and tire combination with the ability to upgrade later. Cramming the biggest tire that can fit, and potentially rub in adverse circumstances, on a rim that really isn't designed to support the entire weight of a rider over rocks and drops would likely tarnish the reputation of the hatchet as a product, as well as increase the price.

If we had more demand and, as a result, more market support for the 27.5" tire size, you would see a double walled 27.5x100mm 36H unicycle specific rim and the entire fat tire catalog produced in both 26" and 27.5"

Maybe some day, but right now, the less than 100 people globally that might be interested in, and have the money to purchase a 27.5 FatUni specific setup, are far to niche to warrant a new product.
Old 2017-11-14, 10:12 PM   #23
caseytronic
Unicyclist

For what its worth, I had trouble with the MuleFut 50 bending upon a minor rock hit. I imagine the 80 may have the same strength (or lack) as the 50. This could've been a fluke, but thought Id mention. I've ridden the Duroc, Marge Lite, and the Rabbit Hole rims a lot and never had bending issues with either of those ( of course they don't come in 27.5).
Old 2017-11-16, 01:53 PM   #24
oldgreyhead

Thanks for the info. I really donít know that much about them. I do know itís the same rim Trek uses on the 27.5 Farley 5 and 7ís MBís. Several months ago, I did mention to UDC US that they should make a fat 27.5 rim like the 26 80mm and the response was they just might, whatever that means. I may wait another month or 2, but not much longer. Iím surly not getting any younger and the 27.5++ keeps calling me.
Bortananger also makes the 27.5 x 3.8 Hodag, although not sure how good it is. A 3.5-3.8 tire on a 27.5 would be ideal for most muni all year round here in New Englandófast, good cushion on trails, and good for snow. Thanks again for the rim infoóit does make me pause.
oldgreyhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, hatchet, muni tires, nimbus, rim or tire, size