Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-11-29, 02:39 PM   #16
song
Unicyclist

In a previous life I worked as a technician in a molecular biology lab, but only for a couple of years, and now I am no longer a tech person at all- I teach various subjects in the humanities. I have been a Linux user for the past 15 years or so, and learned everything I know about that through online forums (as well as trial and error, of course!). I had already been riding a unicycle for a couple of months before I found this forum, but at that time I was already accustomed to online forums due to my Linux use.

In the age of Facebook, this forum appears to have become mostly the domain of middle-aged men, many of whom do indeed work in IT, mathematics or engineering, and some of whom don’t use Facebook because they are either too old or too frightened of the security forces with which it partners. In Japan, from what various people have told me, unicycling is almost exclusively the domain of schoolgirls, and never indulged in by women, men or even boys.

Here in the Western World and/or the Five Eyes countries, I have also met and heard about a surprising number of unicyclists who are long-haul truck drivers. I guess when you are used to 18 wheels, you can become fascinated by the idea of just one.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 03:26 PM   #17
Saintbroken
Beards, bow ties, unicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Did you use databases in your work,
Ha! Nothing like what you all use.

I am a bit of a musician though and enjoy woodworking and making things with my hands as well. Not sure if any of that makes senses or ties into my interest in unicycles...
Saintbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 03:37 PM   #18
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Retired!
I have been: maths teacher, building architect, mad IT languages developer (I hate SQL: I wrote an interpreter 20 years ago and it's a pain in the ***) , Java trainer and ended up working for the camera of the LSST telescope.
Now no job (just playing my flügelhorn, riding my Muni and writing science-fiction).
Next ?
Old 2019-11-29, 03:51 PM   #19
Saintbroken
Beards, bow ties, unicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post

In the age of Facebook, this forum appears to have become mostly the domain of middle-aged men...
I've never made that observation before but I certainly fall in this category. I'm not on social media at all, unless you consider forums like this as such. Then this would be my only exception
Saintbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 04:27 PM   #20
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintbroken View Post
I am a bit of a musician though and enjoy woodworking and making things with my hands as well. Not sure if any of that makes senses or ties into my interest in unicycles...
Maybe it does. Those are activities that I enjoy too. There are lots of tutorials on this forum about how to build stuff with your hands (such as wheels), and there are lots of people posting on here who play music, and even some who play music while unicycling! I would do that more often, but demand has been rather limited.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 09:06 PM   #21
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
Maybe it does. Those are activities that I enjoy too. There are lots of tutorials on this forum about how to build stuff with your hands (such as wheels), and there are lots of people posting on here who play music, and even some who play music while unicycling! I would do that more often, but demand has been rather limited.
Maybe "People who make things" is a theme here too.

I regularly help with the set building of my local theatre (it's just up my street) and I was really proud when I put together my first KH36 from scratch - even spoking the wheel. Gotta thank Youtube for getting me started on spoking.

And re: Big wheels. I have a friend who is very occasionally on this forum. He drives buses as a day job so that's similar.

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-11-29 at 09:07 PM.
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 09:24 PM   #22
Canapin
Unicyclist

Another (Web) developer here.
Canapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-30, 11:00 AM   #23
pierrox
Unicyclist

Having met quite some unicyclists around the world, a lot of them have some scientific background - whether maths or physics. As if the fact that there are so many parameters to master was something attractive about our sport?

I'm a film editor. So detail oriented (and obsessed). Probably has to do with the "never give up" skills required to ride on one wheel...
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-30, 11:21 AM   #24
Necow
Unicyclist

Solar Installer here!
Necow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-30, 12:17 PM   #25
Stagehand
Unicyclist

Proud Union Stagehand
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-30, 10:11 PM   #26
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

I’m also in IT. My company calls me an “engineer” but I’m really more of a data plumber.
Old 2019-11-30, 11:40 PM   #27
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
I have a friend who is very occasionally on this forum. He drives buses as a day job so that's similar.
I have never met him but have been told of another unicyclist in Murwillumbah who drives a bus.
Old 2019-12-01, 05:55 PM   #28
Danny Colyer
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
After discovering Gockie is a database developer like me I wondered what others do for their day jobs.
I'm a Pick database analyst programmer, developing business management software for the wholesale and retail industries.
Old 2019-12-02, 01:13 AM   #29
gorgescrambler
Unicyclist

Hate to be different, but I manufacture rope and twine. Started the company with my brother in 1976. Basic industry, but still interesting to watch it run.
gorgescrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-02, 02:56 AM   #30
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgescrambler View Post
Hate to be different, but I manufacture rope and twine. Started the company with my brother in 1976. Basic industry, but still interesting to watch it run.
Nice! And with the name Gorgescrambler, do you go canyoning with your ropes?

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-12-02 at 02:56 AM.
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
day, job