Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-08-14, 11:09 PM   #1
Jimbo0316
Unicyclist

Wall Street Journal article on unicycling!

I was very excited to read an excellent article on unicycling in the Wall Street Journal on Monday, August 13. It featured a 26 year old unicyclist, Ryan Kremsater, from Vancouver, Canada. This is a link but I am not sure if you can read the whole article without a subscription.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/mountai...cle-1533992400
Jimbo0316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-15, 05:00 PM   #2
Alice Arctan
rhymes with dark tan

You can't.
Alice Arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-15, 05:24 PM   #3
anton005
Unicyclist

text version...

Here is the "text version"...

Mountain Biking Is Hard—Now Try it on a Unicycle

A daredevil geologist finds fitness bliss landing 13-foot drops while unicycling down uneven terrain

Ryan Kremsater hears a lot of trash talk for someone brave enough to fly down a mountain bike trail while balancing on one wheel. “It’s hard to get acceptance from other sports because unicycling looks weird,” he says. “I’ve gotten used to the ‘You’re missing a wheel’ jokes.”

Unicycling is more commonly associated with circus or street performers. But, Mr. Kremsater, 26, is an athlete pushing the boundaries of the niche sport of mountain unicycling.

Based in Abbotsford, British Columbia, Mr. Kremsater is an environmental geologist, a job that provides constant inspiration. “I assess terrain stability and am always noting interesting features I could ride, like logs or cliff drops,” he says.
To navigate rocky terrain on one wheel, Ryan Kremsater holds a handle beneath his seat with one hand and uses the other to help stay balanced.
To navigate rocky terrain on one wheel, Ryan Kremsater holds a handle beneath his seat with one hand and uses the other to help stay balanced. Photo: Abigail Saxton for The Wall Street Journal

His introduction to one-wheel riding began at age 10, when his daredevil uncle bought himself a unicycle to ride while recovering from a broken collarbone. Mr. Kremsater then asked for his own. Despite practicing every day for weeks, he couldn’t complete a single revolution.

Two years later, “One Tired Guy,” an extreme film starring Canadian off-road unicycling pioneer Kris Holm, inspired him to start practicing with renewed determination. “You need a certain level of pain tolerance and patience to get it,” he says. “It’s not like riding a bike. No one gets it on their first try.”

He started riding in his basement, using the walls for balance, then graduated to pavement. “Even a short distance, like 200 meters, is exhausting,” he says. “Unlike a bike, you can’t coast. You’re constantly pedaling and you don’t have a brake.” In the spring of 2004, one month after he learned to ride, he hit the trails with the Vancouver Unicycle Club.

After competing for years, he now eschews competitions to pursue freeriding, which he considers the “more artistic” side of the sport. That could mean landing 13-foot drops or cycling knife-edge ridges. “My goal is to ride terrain that no one’s ever ridden,” he says.
Mr. Kremsater engages all of his stabilizing muscles to ride his unicycle across a narrow rail at a park. He also practices jumps on and over rocks. He says repetition is key to nailing new tricks.Photos: Abigail Saxton for the Wall Street Journal
The Workout

Much like mountain bikers, mountain unicyclists spend a lot of time out of the saddle. When landing a drop or riding steep, bumpy terrain, they hold a handle that attaches beneath the seat with one hand and use the other to help stay balanced. Because there’s no suspension or added stability from a second wheel, the rider feels every root, rock or slope change and must adjust their balance accordingly.

Mountain unicycling requires all of the stabilizing muscles a person doesn’t normally notice or use, Mr. Kremsater says. “A lot of these muscles are in the core, but the legs, hips and shoulders are significantly involved as well,” he says. “When I am trying to train and fine-tune my balance, I really notice which muscles I have control over and which I don’t.”
From the Archives
What's Your Workout: Unicycle Hockey
For Martin Turner no workout is better than chasing a tennis ball with a hockey stick--while riding a unicycle. The senior communications consultant shows off his skills during a scrimmage with teammates in Hong Kong. (Originally Published January 19, 2011)

He says strength, long-distance stamina and a good range of motion allow him to ride more varied terrain. He maintains his fitness with a mix of trail running, rock climbing, volleyball, tennis and Alpine skiing. He practices yoga twice a week.

He tries to go for a trail ride on his mountain bike or mountain unicycle up to three times a week and occasionally does some urban riding. He says his skill level has advanced to a point where he often rides alone on steep, technical terrain. He rides year-round, in rain and snow.

When he’s working on a new skill, he’ll practice it up to 30 minutes a day. He’s been practicing hopping up steps with his right foot forward to gain better control with his non-dominant riding stance.
The Diet

Mr. Kremsater tries to eat a varied diet. Breakfast might be a bowl of Kellogg’s Vector cereal with almond milk, granola with blueberries, or toast topped with peanut butter and banana. He’ll snack on peanuts, cashews, apples or oranges. Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner. Favorite meals include steak or chicken with quinoa salad and tortellini with vegetables. Chocolate is his favorite indulgence.
The Gear & Cost

He is sponsored by Kris Holm Unicycles. He has eight unicycles with varying wheel sizes designed for everything from street riding to all-mountain terrain ($575 to $1,700). A helmet, elbow and knee pads, and gloves with wrist guards are essentials. He also owns a 2018 Kona Process 165 mountain bike ($4,000). He likes the extra padding and grip on Adidas Five Ten Impact Pro mountain bike shoes ($160). He rides in clothing by sponsor RedBear Apparel. His yoga studio in Abbotsford charges $18 a class.
The Playlist

“From a safety perspective, when I’m in nature, I want to be able to hear a bear coming or a mountain biker behind me,” he says. “From a mental standpoint, listening to my breathing and the tire scrape or slide gives me important feedback I’d miss out on if I had music on.”
Mr. Kremsater is considered one of the world’s top freeride mountain unicyclists.
Mr. Kremsater is considered one of the world’s top freeride mountain unicyclists. Photo: Abigail Saxton for The Wall Street Journal
The Outer Limits of Unicycling

Riding on one wheel is a feat in itself. But athletes take unicycling to new extremes at Unicon, a biennial unicycling world championships. Here are some impressive world records set there and elsewhere:

U.K. athlete Mike Taylor jumped his unicycle onto a 4-foot, 10.5-inch platform and side-hopped it over a 4-foot-6 high-jump bar.
Qui Hongying of Beijing completed 220 jump-rope revolutions in one minute.
American Scott Wilton holds the unicycle marathon (26.2 miles) record of 1 hour, 19 minutes, .51 seconds ridden on a standard 29-inch diameter wheel.
Niklas Wojtek of Germany has the fastest 100-meter time, 12.473 seconds.
It took U.K. athlete Sam Wakeling 6 hours, 18 minutes, 39 seconds to ride 100 miles.
Márk Fábián of Hungary balanced on a narrow plank without jumping or turning his tire more than 45 degrees for 25 minutes, 16.5 seconds.

What’s your workout? Tell us at workout@wsj.com
anton005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-15, 06:07 PM   #4
Chimeara
Chimeara

Wall Street Journal article on unicycling

Great Article. Very interesting read. Thanks for posting

Regards Phil
Chimeara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-15, 10:14 PM   #5
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Strange, I don't have a subscription and was able to read it in full on my Chrome browser.

Fun article, by the way.

Not the first time I've seen hostile comments on unicycle related stuff. Uni's seem to make a certain sort of person angry or contemptuously dismissive -- and feel they also must express it or get agreement of some sort, I guess. Same thing on any number of youtube vids.
Dingfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM   #6
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfelder View Post
Strange, I don't have a subscription and was able to read it in full on my Chrome browser.
+1 - was thinking it might be a country specific thing, but then you're in the USA where it would be blocked if anywhere.

Quote:
Not the first time I've seen hostile comments on unicycle related stuff. Uni's seem to make a certain sort of person angry or contemptuously dismissive -- and feel they also must express it or get agreement of some sort, I guess. Same thing on any number of youtube vids.
It's all part of the same reason we sometimes get such comments in real life - mainly down to some men (it's an exclusively male thing) feeling their status is threatened by somebody who can do something they can't and having to reassert themselves. I find it interesting that I've never ever seen or heard such a reaction from a woman (though IME even teenage lads who are dismissive about everything tend to be impressed, it's just middle aged blokes who's most significant recent achievement is managing to drink their pint without spilling it who tend to feel the need to prove how clever they are by trying to put you down).
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #7
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
It's all part of the same reason we sometimes get such comments in real life - mainly down to some men (it's an exclusively male thing) feeling their status is threatened by somebody who can do something they can't and having to reassert themselves. I find it interesting that I've never ever seen or heard such a reaction from a woman (though IME even teenage lads who are dismissive about everything tend to be impressed, it's just middle aged blokes who's most significant recent achievement is managing to drink their pint without spilling it who tend to feel the need to prove how clever they are by trying to put you down).
Online, I think the ages for that are reversed. Younger guys both have more to prove and tend to feel more desperate to prove it, plus have fewer people around to believe it. They're still trying to find a place for themselves in life, and trying to make sure people believe they have one. The snap and snark is on full display. Older people tend to be settled in families and careers and already get their societal approval and validation from there. That's what I've found in forums, anyway. Older guys tend to be calmer. They even sometimes tell younger people to relax.

I do agree that in real life, someone else's physical prowess can seem all the more startling and disorienting as you've started to lose your own, and permanently. This is a society that values physical aggression and competitiveness in men, and a unicycle will sure point up a difference in abilities. For guys with weak egos on the decline, I guess a stinky look might be easier than a good word.

Women aren't physically competitive with men, so I think that's why you might have fewer negative comments from them IRL. They aren't trying to be more macho than the next guy, will never be judged or held to account for it, and aren't even guys in the first place.

Last edited by Dingfelder; Yesterday at 06:31 PM.
Dingfelder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
article, journal, street, unicycling, wall