Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-01-01, 08:46 PM   #16
JSorbet
Unicyclist

Wow, this thread just saved me a good chunk of $$$. Thanks, folks!
JSorbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 09:32 PM   #17
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSorbet View Post
Wow, this thread just saved me a good chunk of $$$. Thanks, folks!
Ha, well, the end result is that I now use a disc brake on this uni. Buy cheap, buy twice.
Old 2018-01-02, 05:00 PM   #18
JSorbet
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Ha, well, the end result is that I now use a disc brake on this uni. Buy cheap, buy twice.
I'm willing to take the chance. Seems other folks have had positive experiences with a v-brake over the long haul. Given that it's such a simple and inexpensive option, I hardly have anything to lose for trying.
Old 2018-01-02, 06:52 PM   #19
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
I'm willing to take the chance. Seems other folks have had positive experiences with a v-brake over the long haul. Given that it's such a simple and inexpensive option, I hardly have anything to lose for trying.
I'm currently running a U-Brake on my 32. It mounts on the same studs for V-Brakes on a 36 inch frame.

The disc is nice because it is very progressive in the way it grabs, a rim brake can be a bit too much; however, it has a lot of tuning/detuning that discs don't have. Maggies are the only brake that I have which I don't really like. They are either on or off, and not much room for detuning (without mismatching levers/calipers).
Old 2018-01-03, 12:10 AM   #20
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Go for it. As you say, you have nothing to lose.

There are plenty of times when I think the disc brake is overkill. Of course, there are also plenty of times when I'm glad to have it!
Old 2018-01-10, 07:36 PM   #21
Kitibob
The Cheapskate Unicyclist

Think i've posted this picture somewhere before

Never really worked, and I did it as an experiment more than anything else. All from salvaged stuff so it didn't cost anything, but I suppose I could move the pivot down and set up a similar system to what everyone seems to go with here. With the brakes I used, I never had enough leverage and riding on mud resulted in a massive buildup which would stop the wheel from turning.

If you're ever feeling down about your skills in unicycling feel free to watch my unicycle videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/KitibobOutdoors
Kitibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 12:01 AM   #22
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitibob View Post
Think i've posted this picture somewhere before

Never really worked, and I did it as an experiment more than anything else. All from salvaged stuff so it didn't cost anything, but I suppose I could move the pivot down and set up a similar system to what everyone seems to go with here. With the brakes I used, I never had enough leverage and riding on mud resulted in a massive buildup which would stop the wheel from turning.

IMage isn't showing.
Old 2018-01-11, 01:11 AM   #23
JSorbet
Unicyclist

Did it! 107mm brake arms just clear the 3" tire (I bent the metal cable housing elbow that connects to the brake a bit to get a couple more mm's clearance). I did pop for the Tensile adapters (https://www.tensile.net/tensile-magu...onverters.html), which put the v-brake mounts about 10mm below the bottom magura boss on the frame. I would get that 10mm back with homemade adapters that attached at the bosses.
Name:  MuniVI.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  69.5 KB
Name:  MuniV.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  71.1 KB
Name:  Muni.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  85.6 KB
Old 2018-01-11, 04:08 PM   #24
Kitibob
The Cheapskate Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
IMage isn't showing.
Ah, Photobucket seems to stop hosting your picture after about half an hour then - handy...

Photobucket want $400 pa from me to keep my photos working... wow.

If you're ever feeling down about your skills in unicycling feel free to watch my unicycle videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/KitibobOutdoors
Kitibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-12, 12:04 AM   #25
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitibob View Post
Ah, Photobucket seems to stop hosting your picture after about half an hour then - handy...

Photobucket want $400 pa from me to keep my photos working... wow.

It looks like your brake is not giving you enough travel. Your straddle cable is pulling almost straight up, and so it isn't putting as much energy into moving the brake pads towards the rim. To fix it you would need calipers with longer lever arms so that they could clear the tire, and have enough spread to give you about a 45 degree angle on the straddle cable. It is possible that you could make your current brake work with a shorter straddle cable, but I still think you may run into problems with the geometry.

Mounting your studs lower will allow use of a V-brake which eliminates the whole straddle cable geometry problem (the single biggest reason people complain about setting up cantilever brakes).

Tags
fit, magura, mounts, vbrakes