Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 129 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-10-15, 04:12 AM   #28861
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Hey Habby! CONGRATULATIONS! Just let us know where and when

GILD, I have been in meetings all week and learnt that our national GIS and Fire Science divisions are collaborating with the South African government on improved fire detection technology. Apparently we will be able to get data from NASA's MODIS and VIIRS satellites in a more timely manner filtered by a more advanced jointly developed algorithm by going through the South African National Space Agency more rapidly than through our US partners.

There is also a joint project with South Africa to improve our understanding of fuel moisture levels in drought conditions, Something that I take is not a big issue right now?

I knew we had mutual aid and resource sharing agreements with ZA, but I didn't realize the level of technical knowledge sharing between our two countries fire programs.

Weather extremes seem to be getting to be more frequent. It's been a strange last couple years over here with the jet-stream getting to be progressively more "wavey" alternatively allowing arctic air further south, or subtropical air further north than "normal".

Our senior meteorologist gave the long term forecast for the province and I had to laugh a bit. It's kind of hard not to make fun of a forecast that is "40% that the mean winter temperature will be greater than or equal to 2.5 C cooler than normal, 30% chance it will fall within the climactic norms, and a 30% chance it will be warmer than normal. Most models agree it will be wetter than average, but there is a 20% chance that it will be dryer than normal in the North-East."
Old 2017-10-16, 05:54 AM   #28862
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by habbywall View Post
Drive by posting. Just came here to tell everyone I got engaged last month, don't worry, you'll all be invited to the wedding.
Dude, that would be so kewl.

A bunch of strangers at one table, meeting one another for the first time ever.

And after every 20 comments, someone gets up and dances.

It'll be a hoot.
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 05:58 AM   #28863
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Hey Habby! CONGRATULATIONS! Just let us know where and when

GILD, I have been in meetings all week and learnt that our national GIS and Fire Science divisions are collaborating with the South African government on improved fire detection technology. Apparently we will be able to get data from NASA's MODIS and VIIRS satellites in a more timely manner filtered by a more advanced jointly developed algorithm by going through the South African National Space Agency more rapidly than through our US partners.

There is also a joint project with South Africa to improve our understanding of fuel moisture levels in drought conditions, Something that I take is not a big issue right now?

I knew we had mutual aid and resource sharing agreements with ZA, but I didn't realize the level of technical knowledge sharing between our two countries fire programs.

Weather extremes seem to be getting to be more frequent. It's been a strange last couple years over here with the jet-stream getting to be progressively more "wavey" alternatively allowing arctic air further south, or subtropical air further north than "normal".

Our senior meteorologist gave the long term forecast for the province and I had to laugh a bit. It's kind of hard not to make fun of a forecast that is "40% that the mean winter temperature will be greater than or equal to 2.5 C cooler than normal, 30% chance it will fall within the climactic norms, and a 30% chance it will be warmer than normal. Most models agree it will be wetter than average, but there is a 20% chance that it will be dryer than normal in the North-East."

We are still caught in a nasty drought, so the fuel levels during the drought will be VERY relevant around these parts.

I recently MC'd AGFO 2017, and Agriculture and Forestry Expo.
Complete with timbersports, the whole 9 yards.

The Timber industry is pretty labour intensive, and we are a labour rich country, so we need all the jobs we can create, so it makes sense for the Gov to look after Timber as much as they can.
Especially in our province of Mpumalanga.

I still reckon they should fly you out.
Complete with flaming chainsaw.

That might freak out the guys at Customs, a bit, but, you know?
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:10 AM   #28864
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Tags
768, angrybirdsucksrealhard, blue blue, bluesopopular, gilby must delete this, gilby please delete this, gilby will delete this, i want blue inside me, i'm drunker than blue, intotheblue.is.sexy, intothebluemyhero, it wuz t*rry, itemno530, ivanmegadestroyer, most replys, noloitering!!!, reply, replys, return, spamtagsftw, stillpagedance, terry is the mind killer, terry.is.evil, terryreallydidkillmr, thevirginmaryisinblue!