Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-07-11, 12:07 PM   #1
Scoox
Unicyclist

Is it me or is UDC making a science of saddles?

I've tried a Velo stock saddle, and I'm currently riding a KH Fusion One. The latter has solved many problems but it's killing my sit bones so I'm still searching for a better alternative.

Whilst browsing through the saddles section on UDC, I notice a lot of saddles that are presented as if they were different products, are in fact permutations of a rather limited set of elementary parts. For example, the Impact base, handle, and bumper are used in many of the available saddles. So I'm just endlessly scrolling up and down, reading reviews and comments here and there, and I'm still non the wiser as to which saddle I should buy (looking for a comfy distance saddle BTW).

Since there is so much overlap between the various models, it would be extremely helpful if the product description could describe saddles in terms of its elementary components rather than presenting the saddle as if it was some sort of indivisible chunk of matter.

Vague descriptions such as "softer", "wider" or "moderate foam thickness" are practically meaningless compared to scientific durometer readings and unambiguous millimetre dimensions. We also need a way to visually compare the front, rear, side, top and bottom views of any two saddles side-by-side.

The reviews and comments here on this forum are helpful but still very subjective.

Just my 2c.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-11, 12:33 PM   #2
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

UDC and saddles is very weird and difficult right now. They completely changed the Impact saddles, and not a single one of the team riders is using it. An absolute catastrophe in marketing and product development. There is literally no current offering from UDC I can recommend when it comes to trials, street and flat. I'm not even saying they are terrible (which they might or might not be), but if you completely redesign a product, you should better show me it works, by having the team ride it... I really don't understand what is going on there. I don't think any trials/street/flat rider complained about the old saddles, the only issue has been the inexistance of carbon bases lately.

Only slightly on topic rant over. I agree with you, more hard data on seats would be nice. Even a single picture showing all current saddles on a side view together to show curvature would help a lot.
Old 2018-07-11, 02:46 PM   #3
Unipig
Unicyclist

I think the saddles everyone knows are uncomfortable should be named things like:

Spanish Donkey
or
Danni's Stool

So there is no illusion of how comfortable they will be.

I do love my KH Free Ride though.
Unipig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-11, 03:40 PM   #4
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
I've tried a Velo stock saddle, and I'm currently riding a KH Fusion One. The latter has solved many problems but it's killing my sit bones so I'm still searching for a better alternative.
A sit bone issue may be a good thing. Over time the sit bones will toughen up but other more tender parts will not.

Here is a reasonable comparison of older saddles. Something updated would be helpful.

I agree a more precise description would be helpful also. Maybe the radius of the curve front to back, the maximum and minimum width and cut cross section of the padding.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-11, 04:08 PM   #5
Scoox
Unicyclist

I had seen that picture, but a lot of those saddles are older models. This is something UDC should supply as they have access to *all* available saddles, unlike end users who usually will compare 2 or 3 models at most.

I would suggest to UDC that they have a look at tartybikes.com, the world's leading online trials bike shop, as they have done a really good job with the way they present product info on their website. In many ways UDC is to unicycles what tartybikes is to trials bikes.
Old 2018-07-11, 04:19 PM   #6
Scoox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unipig View Post
I think the saddles everyone knows are uncomfortable should be named things like:

Spanish Donkey
or
Danni's Stool

So there is no illusion of how comfortable they will be.

I do love my KH Free Ride though.
Today I rode for 1h15m and wore two pairs of cycling pants just to see what would happen, and it was my most comfortable ride so far, so I'm thinking I might get a KH Freeride which a lot of you say works good for distance because it provides more cushion. I've read it can be flattened by placing it in boiling water. Since it has a removable cover, it basically lends itself to hacking—a bonus.
Old 2018-07-11, 09:17 PM   #7
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Some saddles are more comfortable than others, but no saddle will be completely painless on a long ride.

I often sit on my saddle for an hour or even two without a dismount. It starts to be uncomfortable after 15 or 20 minutes, and after 2 hours, I need to pedal standing up for short periods. That's unicycling.

I also have a gravel bike, a fixie and a motorbike, and none of my unicycle saddles is noticeably less comfortable after an hour than any of those other saddles.

It's not meant to be comfortable.
Old 2018-07-13, 11:12 AM   #8
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
It's not meant to be comfortable.
I am sure they are meant to be as comfortable as possible. It just turns out this is incredibly hard to acheive and basically no manufacturer does. But hey, they are trying and for the most part they are getting better.

Then again, I am pretty sure that the designer of the original saddle on my old Pashley 28”, purposely intended for it to be uncomfortable and he or she definately acheived that goal!
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 05:20 PM   #9
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

It's you.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 05:24 PM   #10
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsmohali View Post
A saddle can either encourage comfortable movement and clear communication between rider and horse....
Thanks Atsmohali, and welcome to the Forums! I wonder if you even noticed we're talking about one of the other types of saddles that exist in the world.

At least we don't have to worry about communication with the horse; our unicycles stay pretty rigid and for the most part, don't get pissed off or ornery with us. I know it seems otherwise, but that's the truth.

Yep, unicycle saddles are an evolving "science", and anything that is mass-produced is aiming at the "median" crotch and hoping to score well. Problem is, all crotches are not created equal, so the choice of "best" saddle is a very personal one. Some people actually liked those Pashley "gravy boat" saddles. It involves your physical dimensions (mostly relating to your sit bones I think), type of riding you do, and of course, personal preference. And I assume gender is a factor as well, though so far, all unicycle saddles I'm aware of are "uni-sex".

I haven't given up on my KH Fusion One on my Road uni. Though my crotch isn't thrilled with it, it really hasn't been that thrilled with any saddle once you reach the 20 mile mark. But I wouldn't want that saddle on my other unis, where I'm on and off more, and moving around more on the saddle.

The great thing about today's point in the development of unicycle saddles is that there are multiple entities making them for "us" (people who ride a lot), and constantly looking to improve them. This didn't used to be the case. There was Schwinn, who I believe patented their saddle in 1967, and later Miyata, who had something great when they started using plastic bumpers around 1980 (before that it was thick steel wire bumpers). Most everything else on the market back then was a rectangle, or other basic shape that provided curved support, but not much else. We've come a long way, and the future looks bright!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2018-07-13 at 05:25 PM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
making, saddles, science, udc