Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-12-01, 10:45 PM   #1
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Assembling ideas

I need help about choosing what to assemble using various parts... it will be a frewheel, but what size?

I already own a cheap 20", a 29" disc Muni (just moved to 150 cranks from 125), a road Huni-rex (like a 29" always in high gear and with 125 cranks).

Now the parts I could mix:
- A cheap 20" with a 25,4 seatpost (could reuse any part)
- A 26" freewheel wheel
- Nimbus Dbrake
- Steel cheap modded seat
- 27,2 standard seatpost
- 27,2 completely flat saddle with handlebar
I tried to learn freewheeling on a 29", but it was difficult and hurting.

Does it makes sense if I build a 20" freewheel, and a 26" standard wheel mounted in a 36" frame Or should I use a 26"'wheel in a 36" frame (and learn FW on it?)?
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-04, 10:00 AM   #2
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
I tried to learn freewheeling on a 29", but it was difficult and hurting.
Having ridden all three sizes you mentioned as a freewheel, I doubt your experiences will change much with a different wheelsize. Riding a freewheel simply is hard. I haven't met anyone who learned to ride it, that wasnt either really good at using the brake already, or able to coast on a normal unicycle.

I'm not saing it will be impossible for you to learn, but it being difficult and hurting is to be expected. Freewheels are not as easy to dismount as normal unicycles, it's common to land on your butt when instinctively trying to pedal backwards.
Old 2018-12-04, 12:19 PM   #3
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
Having ridden all three sizes you mentioned as a freewheel, I doubt your experiences will change much with a different wheelsize. Riding a freewheel simply is hard. I haven't met anyone who learned to ride it, that wasnt either really good at using the brake already, or able to coast on a normal unicycle.

I'm not saing it will be impossible for you to learn, but it being difficult and hurting is to be expected. Freewheels are not as easy to dismount as normal unicycles, it's common to land on your butt when instinctively trying to pedal backwards.
So a 20" freewheel means falling from a lower height... I've got too many things to learn in too many different unis. I'll tear apart my 20" (I won't miss it) and rebuild it as a freewheel!
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assembling, ideas