Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2014-09-07, 12:37 PM   #31
muni tasmania
| www.municycle.com.au |

sorry im late,

i second Ldlux. Well said. Great thread. specially for those who not yet to enjoy a geard hub as yet. hope you do if you wish someday.

i wish they were more affordable specially in my profession. But save up they wont probably ever get cheaper and they are well build if im allowed to say that.
muni tasmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-07, 03:27 PM   #32
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

multiple ratios

It would be nice if there were a range of ratios to chose from and even have a service exchange system so you could have you ration changed. It cant be that hard to do.

I am looking forward to a 125mm version so I can build and oracle G36 with internal brake as I don't like the external break I have on my G32
Alan Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-07, 03:53 PM   #33
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

I'd love to see 1:2!

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 02:39 PM   #34
muni tasmania
| www.municycle.com.au |

terry..... i expect no less from you

That would be for your 36er of course?????

Wow that would be painful to crank up riding, or painful to require to conduct a upd at even 30% cadence. wouldnt be for my faint heartedness.

1:1.33 id be happier for the muni.
muni tasmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 03:59 PM   #35
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni tasmania View Post
terry..... i expect no less from you

That would be for your 36er of course?????

Wow that would be painful to crank up riding, or painful to require to conduct a upd at even 30% cadence. wouldnt be for my faint heartedness.

1:1.33 id be happier for the muni.
The 1.3 would be perfect for the 36..... 1.5 is too big a jump, for me at least
Old 2014-09-08, 04:36 PM   #36
unibokk
Unicyclist

Smile

I never rode with a schlumpf but I think that shifting from 1 to 2 on a 36er would be a big jump causing lots of inertia even with long cranks (150mm).

I reckon that you would have to slow down considerably before changing back down to 1, otherwise you would have to pedal madly in 1 to prevent a sudden braking effect.

If I could chose only one ratio option I would choose the existing schlumpf ratio but I think there would be a small market out there for a 1: 1.33+ ratio especially in the 36er community.

P.S. I consider cranks an important part of the equation and so I tend to think of the schlumpfs two settings and the crank length as a three point ratio.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 06:39 PM   #37
unibokk
Unicyclist

Smile

Just to clarify... in my last post I'm commenting on riding a schlumpf with a 1:2 gear ratio.
Old 2014-09-08, 07:18 PM   #38
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
I never rode with a schlumpf but I think that shifting from 1 to 2 on a 36er would be a big jump causing lots of inertia even with long cranks (150mm).

I reckon that you would have to slow down considerably before changing back down to 1, otherwise you would have to pedal madly in 1 to prevent a sudden braking effect.

If I could chose only one ratio option I would choose the existing schlumpf ratio but I think there would be a small market out there for a 1: 1.33+ ratio especially in the 36er community.

P.S. I consider cranks an important part of the equation and so I tend to think of the schlumpfs two settings and the crank length as a three point ratio.
The 1.5 jump is very big and it gets proportionally worse the bigger wheel you have. Sometimes it doesn't catch for about 30 degrees and is a hell of a long way on a 36 ..... it nearly caught me out today on my G32.
Old 2014-09-08, 07:52 PM   #39
unibokk
Unicyclist

Smile

So is your uni in free wheel mode while you're waiting for the gear shift to engage.

I'm thinking of learning to ride a freewheel uni with that scenario in mind so I've begun watching Waalrus' freewheel videos .
Old 2014-09-08, 08:28 PM   #40
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
So is your uni in free wheel mode while you're waiting for the gear shift to engage.
If they're anything like planetary bike hubs (which I have used - while never having used a Schlumpf, so take my words as they are), then there's a tiny amount of freewheel before the gear change engages. According to the Schlumpf instructions, a way to check if it's set up right is to change gear, pedal forward (with your hands, as the tyre is on the floor/stand still!) till engagement, and repeat until you've done a full revolution, which should take 24 clicks. So 360/24=how much slack you have in which to soil your pants

There is also apparently a way to sort of hold the button slightly short of full shifting, which allows you to hold it in a freewheel, if you so choose.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 09:36 PM   #41
unibokk
Unicyclist

[QUOTE=Piece Maker;1635474].

So 360/24=how much slack you have in which to soil your pants

Ha ha , that about describes it, but if your in high gear changing down on a 1:2 ratio that interval is increased giving the rider enough time to poop and to wipe his butt and to dial 911

Seriously though, that's some good info.

The last point you made seems to suggest that I could use that setting to practise free wheeling without having to build a separate free wheel.

Thanks P.M.

Last edited by unibokk; 2014-09-08 at 09:37 PM.
Old 2014-09-08, 09:59 PM   #42
muni123
Unicyclist

Quote:

I think it would work, you would just have to know your abilities and know when to shift.

Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs
muni123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-09, 11:18 AM   #43
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:

I'm thinking of learning to ride a freewheel uni with that scenario in mind so I've begun watching Waalrus' freewheel videos .
I'm not all that good at riding my Schlumpf, and certainly couldn't ride a freewheel uni, but don't find the slight freewheel during a shift an issue at all. It's a long time since I've UPDed whilst shifting (and I still UPD quite a bit whilst riding it). It's part of the learning curve, but a fairly small part.
Old 2014-09-09, 12:42 PM   #44
unibokk
Unicyclist

Smile

Thanks Aracer, that's reassuring.
Old 2014-09-09, 12:44 PM   #45
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni123 View Post
I think it would work, you would just have to know your abilities and know when to shift.
+ a strong pair of legs

Tags
2014, schlumpf