Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2005-05-15, 10:24 PM   #1
MrBoogiejuice
Now with added jazz croutons!
 
MrBoogiejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Funkytown
Posts: 2,308
Send a message via Yahoo to MrBoogiejuice
3 cheers for Kris Holm and Bell helmets

....They're good things. If it weren't for my Kris Holm wrist guards I'd now have a broken wrist. And it weren't for my helmet my head would now be spread across someones windscreen.

Riding back from watching Songs of Praise being recorded (a lot less fun than you might think) on my Coker I got hit by a car. I was turning right out of a pub car park and got hit by a car coming round a blind corner from my right.

After being hit I could hear the driver of the car freaking out a bit so picked myself up quickly so they could see I wasn't badly damaged. Looking at the car I could see why she was freaking out. Her windscreen was shattered with a big hole where the pointy back of my helmet had hit the windscreen on the passenger side. She had her baby in a baby seat on the passenger side so and was obviously worried about her baby.

I ended up with grazed elbows and bruised/sprained fingers and wrist on my left. It could have been much much worse.

So remember kids WEAR A HELMET!

Kit
__________________
---unicycle for The Very Hungry Caterpillar---
Make crumbs not War!
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.
MrBoogiejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-15, 10:35 PM   #2
Catboy
Roadkill
 
Catboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Scattered across the freeway.
Age: 29
Posts: 4,190
Send a message via ICQ to Catboy Send a message via AIM to Catboy Send a message via MSN to Catboy
Wow... just, wow.
__________________
Rest in pieces.
Catboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-15, 10:36 PM   #3
James_Potter
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The skinny part of Idaho
Age: 29
Posts: 10,606
Oooh, that sucks. 'cept it really doesn't, because everyone was okay, so it's actually kind of spiffy. The baby was okay, right? Prolly, because otherwise you would've said something more about it.... Glad to hear you're okay though! (:
James_Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-15, 10:50 PM   #4
MrBoogiejuice
Now with added jazz croutons!
 
MrBoogiejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Funkytown
Posts: 2,308
Send a message via Yahoo to MrBoogiejuice
The baby was fine, it wasn't even crying...Oh and amazingly so was the coker. Good thing considering I'd borrowed it off Pete whilst mine's in a state of broken.

Edit: Does anyone know if Bell replace helmets after a crash. I remember someone saying Giro do and I've looked on Bells' website but can't find any info.
__________________
---unicycle for The Very Hungry Caterpillar---
Make crumbs not War!
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.

Last edited by MrBoogiejuice; 2005-05-15 at 10:55 PM.
MrBoogiejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-15, 11:02 PM   #5
bugman
NAUCC 2006 Memphis
 
bugman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Metro Atlanta
Age: 52
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBoogiejuice
The baby was fine, it wasn't even crying...Oh and amazingly so was the coker. Good thing considering I'd borrowed it off Pete whilst mine's in a state of broken.

Edit: Does anyone know if Bell replace helmets after a crash. I remember someone saying Giro do and I've looked on Bells' website but can't find any info.
Tat would be a yes. Should be with your warranty paperwok that came with the helmet. Who keeps that stuff?
__________________
Support my Tour de Cure Ride!
Go here to Donate!
Thanks!!!
bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-15, 11:09 PM   #6
KcTheAcy
Ohh Baby
 
KcTheAcy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Age: 29
Posts: 899
That was good nobody got hurt bad.

Giro and Bell are the same company.
A while back Bell was giro's biggest competition, So they bought bell.

Last edited by KcTheAcy; 2005-05-15 at 11:10 PM.
KcTheAcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-15, 11:54 PM   #7
Chrashing
O>OO
 
Chrashing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Age: 64
Posts: 1,767
Very glad to hear that all is well.

I just got a new Bell Helmet so I have the paperwork handy.

Bell will replace crash damaged helmets, but you need to mail them the following: a) damaged helmet, b)copy of dated cash register receipt, c) letter describing you accident, d) a check for $35 for Fusion in-mold or $20 for non-fusion helmets. Mails this to:
Bell Sports, Inc. Consumer Service, 1924 Country Road, 3000 North, Rantoul, IL 61866-9512 (These instructions are for the US, Canadian customers need to call 1-514-332-1320.)

I don't know, but I'll bet that if you don't have the receipt they will replace the helmet anyway. I mean, what kind of safety company would let you go without a helmet because you lost the receipt? You could call them: 1-800-456-BELL (USA).
__________________
Regards,
Ken

Unicycles are flying machines!

24", 28", 32", and 36" KH frame based mutts.
26" inexpensive travel.
Chrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-16, 12:04 AM   #8
john_childs
Guinness Mojo
 
john_childs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Posts: 12,424
Wow! Good to hear you're OK and the Coker is OK.

My belief is that if I ever need my helmet while riding the Coker it's going to be because of a collision with a car or a bicycle. I keep my fingers crossed that it never happens to me. If it does happen I'll have my helmet on.
__________________
john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
My Gallery :: Unicycling Bookmark List :: World Clock
john_childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-16, 12:25 AM   #9
One on one
Dances with roots
 
One on one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: South of Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Age: 60
Posts: 981
Re: 3 cheers for Kris Holm and Bell helmets

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBoogiejuice
....After being hit I could hear the driver of the car freaking out a bit so picked myself up quickly so they could see I wasn't badly damaged. Looking at the car I could see why she was freaking out. Her windscreen was shattered with a big hole where the pointy back of my helmet had hit the windscreen on the passenger side. She had her baby in a baby seat on the passenger side so and was obviously worried about her baby.

I ended up with grazed elbows and bruised/sprained fingers and wrist on my left. It could have been much much worse.

So remember kids WEAR A HELMET!

Kit
So the pointy protrusion on the back of the helmets does really work, and doesn't just cause whip lash to people that wear helmets.

Good to hear that you are O.K.
__________________
"That's going to end up in somebody's sig." - rob.northcott

"one on one is happy, so am I!...." -CKCrowe
One on one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-16, 12:30 AM   #10
jagur
My Uzi is a Tongue
 
jagur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: {So-Lame,Oregon}
Posts: 6,209
so who's fault was it?
__________________
--------------------------------------
twitter> @shotofjagur
jagur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-16, 10:15 AM   #11
MrBoogiejuice
Now with added jazz croutons!
 
MrBoogiejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Funkytown
Posts: 2,308
Send a message via Yahoo to MrBoogiejuice
I'm not really sure who's fault it was. It was a blind corner and neither of us saw each other. It's a narrow twisty road whicj people go too fast along. I think it was just unfortunate timing.
__________________
---unicycle for The Very Hungry Caterpillar---
Make crumbs not War!
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.
MrBoogiejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-16, 10:16 AM   #12
Loosemoose
Coco... thanks guys.
 
Loosemoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Oxfordshire, England, UK
Age: 33
Posts: 1,024
Send a message via MSN to Loosemoose
The car driver. In the UK cyclists are never liable for accidents (or at least thats what i've heard, please correct me if i'm wrong). Its always the cars fault if there is a car/bike incident (I think). Even If its not, its plain in this case the front of the car hit the side of Kit.

Glad to hear you're ok, and you and the coker aren't badly damaged.

Loose.
__________________
Vice President - Southampton University Circus Society

"Come on you target for far away laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink Floyd
Loosemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-16, 12:30 PM   #13
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK
 
GILD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Age: 50
Posts: 16,283
very glad to hear u're in one piece and allright
a quick trip to a medico just to make sure can't hurt
well, can't hurt as much as getting hit by car

i've been sitting with Jayne_ZA's coker and i've been itching to take it out for a nice long road-ride
i did promise myself that i wouldn't do this without a helmet but since the middle of the month arrived at the end of the money, i haven't been able to get one yet
yesterday we went out to a public park in JHB (Emmarentia Dam) and i had a nice long ride on the paths thru the park
i kinda told myself that it would be ok cause it just would be
since the ride went well yesterday, i had a look out the window when i got up this morning and was quite tempted to take it out
then i thought about the amount of times i've shot my mouth off about the helmet issue on these here fora and realised that if i get my unhelmeted head bashed in and end up with brain damage, u lot would never let me forget it and i'll probaly end up choking on my feeding tube in sheer embarrasment
so i didn't
and now i see this thread
Mr Boogiejuice, u're a real pal
there aren't too many people i know who would get hit by a car to teach a friend a lesson
i am in your debt
please add a beer to the when-we-meet-tab
Quote:
Originally posted by bugman
Tat would be a yes. Should be with your warranty paperwok that came with the helmet. Who keeps that stuff?
one of my habits that the GF just couldn't get a grip on, was my habit of keeping the original box, with the polystyrene shapes for secure packing, just in case u ever have to move with that item
it packs back into it's original box so much easier than it does into anything else...
and it's a good place to keep all the original paperwork, cash receipts and and and
Quote:
Originally posted by KcTheAcy
Giro and Bell are the same company.
A while back Bell was giro's biggest competition, So they bought bell.
gotta love capitalism

Last edited by GILD; 2005-05-16 at 12:33 PM.
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-16, 12:44 PM   #14
MrBoogiejuice
Now with added jazz croutons!
 
MrBoogiejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Funkytown
Posts: 2,308
Send a message via Yahoo to MrBoogiejuice
Quote:
Originally posted by GILD
[B]very glad to hear u're in one piece and allright
a quick trip to a medico just to make sure can't hurt
well, can't hurt as much as getting hit by car
I went down to A+E afterwards to see if my wrist was broken or not and to get my cuts cleaned and dressed. My unsullied record of doing silly things and not breaking bones stays sully free...Happy badger I am


Quote:
then i thought about the amount of times i've shot my mouth off about the helmet issue on these here fora and realised that if i get my unhelmeted head bashed in and end up with brain damage, u lot would never let me forget it and i'll probaly end up choking on my feeding tube in sheer embarrasment
so i didn't
and now i see this thread
Mr Boogiejuice, u're a real pal
there aren't too many people i know who would get hit by a car to teach a friend a lesson
i am in your debt
please add a beer to the when-we-meet-tab
No worries. Glad to be of service.

Quote:
one of my habits that the GF just couldn't get a grip on, was my habit of keeping the original box, with the polystyrene shapes for secure packing, just in case u ever have to move with that item
it packs back into it's original box so much easier than it does into anything else...
and it's a good place to keep all the original paperwork, cash receipts and and and
I think I may have actually kept the box...Unusual for me, Organisation is not my forte

Quote:
gotta love capitalism
...Livin' the dream baby.
__________________
---unicycle for The Very Hungry Caterpillar---
Make crumbs not War!
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.
MrBoogiejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-16, 12:53 PM   #15
Ian Smith
Newsgroup User
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 3 cheers for Kris Holm and Bell helmets

On Mon, 16 May, Loosemoose <> wrote:
>
> The car driver. In the UK cyclists are never liable for accidents (or at
> least thats what i've heard, please correct me if i'm wrong).


You're wrong.

> Its always the cars fault if there is a car/bike incident (I think).


No. There is no such law in teh UK.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bell, cheers, helmets, holm, kris


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
You Rated this Thread:
Page generated in 0.09742 seconds with 11 queries