Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-04-17, 08:13 PM   #1
one4all
My private jet is a 36er

Question about ADHD

Hi All,

I have read in several articles on the web about unicycle riding being a well proven treatment for ADHD - kids and adults.

I am curious about what makes the unicycle riding any different from bicycle or inline skating activities for that matter.

Is the process of teaching people with ADHD to ride unicycle any different then usual - or simply going through the standard process of learning to ride unicycle has its positive impact for people with ADHD?

I'd appreciate your answers on this issue.

Cheers.
one4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 09:26 PM   #2
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by one4all View Post
Hi All,

I have read in several articles on the web about unicycle riding being a well proven treatment for ADHD - kids and adults.

I am curious about what makes the unicycle riding any different from bicycle or inline skating activities for that matter.
Because unicycling takes MUCH more focus and balance, dedication and lots of practice to get good at it. I'm a lifelong ADHDer and those of us with this "gift" have the ability to "hyper-focus" on the stuff we like, and excel at it...and I LOVE unicycling!

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2013-04-17 at 09:28 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 12:06 AM   #3
blueharmony
Kenny Cason

I agree, as an ADHD guy as well. The focus involved with unicycling is actually relaxing to me.
Old 2013-04-18, 01:00 AM   #4
ally1776
UniMudder

Send a message via Yahoo to ally1776
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
Because unicycling takes MUCH more focus and balance, dedication and lots of practice to get good at it. I'm a lifelong ADHDer and those of us with this "gift" have the ability to "hyper-focus" on the stuff we like, and excel at it...and I LOVE unicycling!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueharmony View Post
I agree, as an ADHD guy as well. The focus involved with unicycling is actually relaxing to me.
Ditto with MuniAddict and blueharmony, as a long time diagnosed ADHD chick I actually work hard focusing while riding, unicycling is actually a good attention holder for me and it's probably the thing I can keep focused on the longest.
I will admit there has been a few times my attention was lost and I UPD'ed simply for no other reason except my attention wandered.

My Twitter Page

I plan on riding unicycles till I break a hip and then I'll ride a little longer.
ally1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 02:22 AM   #5
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
I am adhd also and when im.riding its all I can focus on
Old 2013-04-18, 03:24 AM   #6
aeharding
Alex

That interesting. I don't have ADHD, but I love mastering things and trying new things that are unique/rare.

It would make sense, though.
Old 2013-04-18, 11:24 AM   #7
WheelieDaft
Level 1 Unicyclist

I am ADHD also and hyper-focus on things.

If I'm not learning something new I get fidgetty and depressed. (Hence my many qualifications, languages, etc.)

Unicycling, especially MUni, is a total joy for me, I wish I'd discovered it sooner!

PendleSide Hospice charitable donations page: http://www.justgiving.com/WheelieDaft

WheelieDaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 03:23 PM   #8
anton005
Unicyclist

I never considered myself to have ADHD, the thought never entered my mind. Now, after reading about it, it would explain a lot about my life. I also get super focused on things, to the point where I obsess over it. Unicycling is perfect for that, I feel best in my life when I'm riding... Lately I haven't been, obsessed over golf right now... very frustrating. I should probably start riding again
anton005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 03:24 PM   #9
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
I obsessed over disk golf then unicycling then disk golf and now its a strong mix of both :P
Old 2013-04-18, 03:51 PM   #10
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

@Knoxuni: Yes Wes, we all know you are adhd

The "classic" ADHD kid is characterized by being attracted to exciting activities, so there does tend to be a great number of ADHD people doing extreme sports, but at the same time ADHD can be a disadvantage in sports with small/slow rewards and big committments.

I have somewhere between 700-800 patients who are ADHD/ADD, only two have taken up uncycling in the five years since I learned to ride; I regularly encourage my patients to try unicycling and have "shown off for more than a few. One tried it and couldn't stick with it, the other is all over it and is wanting go bigger!

I think sports and physical work are a great outlet for people with ADHD, but unfortunately many of our youth (and adults) have become more sedentary as the availability and access to electronic media has grown.

Hi, my name is Ben, and I am hyperactive
Old 2017-04-16, 03:17 PM   #11
chainreactionphysics
Unicyclist

I think those with ADHD need to discover the new thing to focus on themselves. If someone suggests something new to me I automatically reject it for some reason.
chainreactionphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 04:21 PM   #12
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Unicycling is good for ADHD because, assuming we're practicing something challenging, the moment we stop paying attention, we UPD. Contrast that with reading a book, where it's less obvious when our attention is failing. So, unicycling, compared to some other activities, tends to focus and clarify our attention.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 04:58 PM   #13
chainreactionphysics
Unicyclist

It is the only activity I have
tried which ticks all my boxes..
chainreactionphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-17, 12:20 AM   #14
Superbant
Unicyclist

Location: Far, far away in a place with a yard and two floors and a basement and a few unicycles and lots of books and tall trees and good food and some computers and lots of unicycle.com stickers and plenty of misspellings and bad grammar and run on sentances
I've got minor add, right now I'm need to be writing a paper, but here I am. I don't see how unicycling is any better than any number of other activities. It does help my add a little, but so does riding my bike.
Old 2017-04-17, 01:02 AM   #15
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Where are all these articles saying unicycling is good for ADHD?

I don't have ADHD but I don't see why unicycling would be any better than a number of other skills. In terms of requiring focus, yes it does when learning to ride but after you that riding on flat ground is as easy as riding a bike in my opinion.

Muni is the only discipline that requires me to continually focus because of the constantly changing terrain, when I play unicycle hockey I don't need to think about riding as it is so easy to ride on flat ground.

I cant see how it would be any better than many other skills; juggling, roller blading, skateboarding, rip sticking, parkour, learning an instrument etc
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhd, question