Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-08-21, 07:03 PM   #16
TMason
Todd Mason

Coming from a cycling background I agree with Jim that the shape of the base is important. My favorite bicycle seats have always been very firm..almost solid. The key is they fit me just right.

Now that I have a seat shape on my unicycle that fits me well, I would love to have it be a lot harder foam than what the freeride is. I suspect that the foam compresses over time on the ride and the occasional short break also allows the foam to rebound.
TMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-21, 09:44 PM   #17
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Not answering the specific question, but if you like the One then you'd probably prefer a flatter than traditional saddle, in which case the Nimbus Stadium might suit you. Well I suppose it does answer point 2 - I'd recommend trying a saddle with the new Impact/Nimbus base. I think the other options are the Nimbus Flat or the Impact Athmos (maybe the Naomi - not sure what base the current one uses), both of which are less padded than the Stadium. Less padding seems to be popular for a street uni so one of those might be a good choice.
Old 2018-09-21, 10:52 PM   #18
Scoox
Wheel enthusiast

In Madrid (Spain) at the moment. There is a unicycle shop there so I dropped by to have a look at saddles. They had the full KH range in stock but none of the Nimbus/Impact stuff. I can comment on the KH stuff:

Softness: The Fusion Freeride and the Fusion One seem to employ similar padding material, I would dare say the Fusion One was a notch softer. The Street and Slim use stiffer foam and the Slim feels even harder because the padding is thinner.

Curvature: As mentioned previously, the One is flat and the others are banana-shaped, however the Freeride has more foam in the centre which makes it feel flatter.

Width: The Fusion One is very thin at the centre, while the Slim, Street and Freeride are a good 2cm wider. My first saddle was similar to the KH slim in terms of width, and I got chafing in my thighs. As soon as I switched to the KH Fusion One the chafing went away, even without cycling pants, but it could have been that I've hardened up.

Range of adjustment: The One wins here as . The others all use the same saddle base and allow about 1cm of adjustment. and the rear of the saddle cannot be adjusted so that it's horizontal, in other words, the rear of the saddle is always ever so slightly pointed upwards, which my cause the rider to slide forward towards the centre of the saddle.

Attachment: I am a big fan of the pivotal system, although I believe the 4-bolt system is stronger.

Of all these saddles, I felt the Fusion Street was the best all-rounder, but before I go ahead and buy one I have some questions:

1. Does anyone use the Fusion One for street? If not, why not? Why banana-shaped for street? That is, how does the curvature actually help?

2. Is the wider centre section of the Fusion Street less comfortable than the much narrower Fusion One? Will it cause chafing?

3. Is the Nimbus Stadium as wide as the KH Freeride at the centre?

Thanks

Last edited by Scoox; 2018-09-21 at 10:53 PM.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-22, 01:39 AM   #19
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Attachment: I am a big fan of the pivotal system, although I believe the 4-bolt system is stronger.
I would disagree pretty strongly with that - those 4-bolt posts have been the weakest part on all my unicycles (at least the high quality ones). I've broken a bunch of them, and I'm not an aggressive rider. They always break up at the flange area, which takes a lot of load and flex.

The pivotal system, with no flanges sticking out, looks a lot sturdier to me, though I don't have any data beyond "none of mine have broken yet".
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-22, 04:49 AM   #20
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
2. Is the wider centre section of the Fusion Street less comfortable than the much narrower Fusion One? Will it cause chafing?

3. Is the Nimbus Stadium as wide as the KH Freeride at the centre?

Thanks
Only you can answer those questions, everyone is different. That is a disadvantage of selecting a uni saddle, ideally a rider should be able to try all the saddles that are available and select/buy only the one the works the best.

The minimum width of a Stadium is 69mm, I don't know the width of a Free ride. In my case I use a UDC trainer saddle that is a little flatter then a Freeride and a little wider (74mm) then a Stadium. For me it works very well, it is very secure, comfortable and I've put 50 miles on it in a day with absolutely no problems.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-22, 10:03 AM   #21
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Range of adjustment: The One wins here as . The others all use the same saddle base and allow about 1cm of adjustment. and the rear of the saddle cannot be adjusted so that it's horizontal, in other words, the rear of the saddle is always ever so slightly pointed upwards, which my cause the rider to slide forward towards the centre of the saddle.
Having said that, if you have a KH adjustable seat post, you can angle it much more than with the simple seat posts!

I'll try to remember to measure the width of my Stadium. Which is definitely narrower than the KH saddles. It's also narrower at the back.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-22, 11:03 AM   #22
Scoox
Wheel enthusiast

I could be wrong but I reckon Kris will eventually ditch 4-bolt and switch to pivotal. Pivotal is simple, robust, offers a greater range of adjustment and is far easier and quicker to adjust than any 4-bolt saddle. The only downside with the current pivotal design is that there are only 2-3 usable angle settings. A continuous range of adjustment, or at least a finer 'grain', would be an improvement.

If the Street saddle used the pivotal system I would have bought it yesterday, as I already have the KH pivotal seat post, but having to buy a saddle AND a seat post just to try something I might not even like is a turn-off.
Old 2018-09-22, 11:24 AM   #23
Scoox
Wheel enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
I'll try to remember to measure the width of my Stadium. Which is definitely narrower than the KH saddles. It's also narrower at the back.
I remember reading somewhere that the Stadium foam was kinda stiff requiring cycling shorts, what's your experience?
Old 2018-09-22, 03:22 PM   #24
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

By the way: Some people have broken the bolt on the pivotal post/saddle connection as well. Just recently posted here.

As for the adjustment on the 4 bold post: I put wshers under the front bolts to bring the back part of saddle to horizontal position then you do not need an adjustable seat post.

Width of the stadium: about 68mm on narrowest part. Do not have a street to measure here.
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-22, 04:40 PM   #25
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunstrasen View Post
By the way: Some people have broken the bolt on the pivotal post/saddle connection as well. Just recently posted here.
True, but just the lightweight hollow bolts on the first generation KH Zero saddles. It's fixed now, and I would call it a design defect with that saddle, not a problem with the general pivotal seatpost design.
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-22, 09:35 PM   #26
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that the Stadium foam was kinda stiff requiring cycling shorts, what's your experience?
Yep it's a pretty stiff one, and it's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of saddle... I always ride with cycling shorts, I have a skin that tends to get bruised easily.

Measured the saddles:
- Fusion Freeride is 75 at the middle, and 145mm at the back. And it's cushy like a pillow
- Stadium is 65mm at the middle, and 130mm at the back (it's not for big arses for sure!)
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-23, 11:10 AM   #27
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
I only wear padded shorts on mine if I'm doing a long (30+ mile) trip. Everything else I just wear combat pants or whatever else I'm wearing at the time, never been a problem
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-23, 02:28 PM   #28
Scoox
Wheel enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Not answering the specific question, but if you like the One then you'd probably prefer a flatter than traditional saddle, in which case the Nimbus Stadium might suit you. Well I suppose it does answer point 2 - I'd recommend trying a saddle with the new Impact/Nimbus base. I think the other options are the Nimbus Flat or the Impact Athmos (maybe the Naomi - not sure what base the current one uses), both of which are less padded than the Stadium. Less padding seems to be popular for a street uni so one of those might be a good choice.
My first saddle, the cheap one that came with my uni, had very little padding and was nut-numbing. But too much padding can cause chafing in the groin area so I'm leaning towards the Qu-Ax QX ELEVEN, which has the same base and thickness padding as the KH Street but much softer foam, almost as soft as KH Fusion One or Freeride (these two being equally soft).

I like the flatter and narrower Impact base though, but I'm having a very hard time getting my head around the differences between the various mutually indistinguishable models. For instance, the "Unicycle.com Saddle" and the "Unicycle.com 'Club' Saddle" look identical except for the logo. The Impact Naomi and the Athmos, except for the reinforced gray base and the removable cover, look the same too (but is the foam the same?). Then the same saddle is referred to as "Nimbus Unicycle Saddle" on UDC UK and "Nimbus Freestyle Saddle" on UDC US.

I've put together a table, shown below, to make this easier. Darker blue means harder foam (no colour means I've not personally felt the saddle), [R] means removable cover.

Since I'm looking for a versatile yet comfortable saddle, a narrow saddle with medium thickness soft padding and a moderate curvature would probably do the job, so I've narrowed it down ( pun!) to these:
  • QU-AX QX Eleven
  • Nimbus Freestyle (a.k.a. Nimbus Unicycle Saddle)
  • UDC Saddle or UDC 'Club' Saddle

I have no info about the last three models, all I know is they are flatter (which
I like) than the QX Eleven and have no "gents groove" down the middle. If anyone knows something please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Yep it's a pretty stiff one, and it's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of saddle... I always ride with cycling shorts, I have a skin that tends to get bruised easily.

Measured the saddles:
- Fusion Freeride is 75 at the middle, and 145mm at the back. And it's cushy like a pillow
- Stadium is 65mm at the middle, and 130mm at the back (it's not for big arses for sure!)
Thanks for the measurements!
Attached Images

Last edited by Scoox; 2018-09-23 at 02:36 PM.
Old 2018-09-23, 03:26 PM   #29
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

The Naomi saddle is on my 24" muni. I recently added the Shadow handle and bar ends. I have gone on several longish rides on this setup without any significant issues. However, I ride with both hands on the bar ends pushing down. This pushes my butt further back to the outer rim of the seat, engaging my sit bones while taking the pressure off my junk.

When I was a beginner, I didn't have the skill to ride this way. Instead, I slid down into the cradle of the seat. If I had to ride that way using the Naomi saddle, even for 5 minutes, I'd be in pain.

My suggestion to beginners who complain about their saddles...is to wear cycle shorts. Or to wear two pairs. Then start learning how to use bar ends. Learn to hold the seat before installing bar ends. Practice with one hand, then the other hand, then both hands. There is a current thread on the forum about game-changing unicycle tech. Handle bars were for me a game changer.

Even without bar ends, being able to subtly apply and remove weight from the seat...while slightly adjusting the position of the seat with the grab handle...helps. Beginners might consider learning this technique before spending money on a new saddle (which might have the same problem).

There are some riders on the forum who can ride many miles without placing their hand(s) on the seat or bars. I'd rather ride a uni-cycle than a eunuch-cycle.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-23, 04:10 PM   #30
Scoox
Wheel enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
The Naomi saddle is on my 24" muni. I recently added the Shadow handle and bar ends. I have gone on several longish rides on this setup without any significant issues. However, I ride with both hands on the bar ends pushing down. This pushes my butt further back to the outer rim of the seat, engaging my sit bones while taking the pressure off my junk.

When I was a beginner, I didn't have the skill to ride this way. Instead, I slid down into the cradle of the seat. If I had to ride that way using the Naomi saddle, even for 5 minutes, I'd be in pain.

My suggestion to beginners who complain about their saddles...is to wear cycle shorts. Or to wear two pairs. Then start learning how to use bar ends. Learn to hold the seat before installing bar ends. Practice with one hand, then the other hand, then both hands. There is a current thread on the forum about game-changing unicycle tech. Handle bars were for me a game changer.

Even without bar ends, being able to subtly apply and remove weight from the seat...while slightly adjusting the position of the seat with the grab handle...helps. Beginners might consider learning this technique before spending money on a new saddle (which might have the same problem).

There are some riders on the forum who can ride many miles without placing their hand(s) on the seat or bars. I'd rather ride a uni-cycle than a eunuch-cycle.
I agree with everything you said, and I ride with one hand gently pushing down on the saddle handle. Bicycles have handlebars which is probably why they feel comfier; in fact, riding a bike no-hands is probably as groin-friendly as any unicycle ride. But bars are out of the question because it's for a 20" uni.

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a better saddle to replace my Fusion One: I'm buying a saddle to replace the cheap one I broke, and hopefully as good as the Fusion One. I think the Fusion One is pretty decent but I don't think it's good for more exotic riding such as idling or riding backwards, because it favours motion in one direction. I have mine set up so it's kinda pointed upwards; this works great when riding forwards but when riding backwards it provides too little support, like sitting on a slide.

Last edited by Scoox; 2018-09-23 at 04:16 PM.

Tags
making, saddles, science, udc