Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-03-12, 04:34 AM   #1
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Do you assign tasks for multiple web browsers?

I recently got tired of how firefox constantly pauses web videos, even though I changed the interval timer for the tab saves. Even with no tabs open it continued to do it.

So right now I use:

1. Google chrome for videos and email

2. firefox for general web browsing, email, image hosting, forums, school, social networking, banking

3. Internet Explorer for an email I use for craigslist.

If you have found that certain web browsers that are good for specific tasks share em!

So far I'm pretty happy with this set-up. I love firefox apps for improving web-browsing, and google seems to work perfect for videos.
Dane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 06:10 AM   #2
DSchmitt
Human Gyroscope

google chrome ownz all

ie = total fail

Last edited by DSchmitt; 2011-03-12 at 06:10 AM.
DSchmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 06:17 AM   #3
The Frannyy
Unicyclist

You tried opera? Really fast but not all websites support it.
The Frannyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 06:20 AM   #4
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Never heard of opera.

And yes, IE is terrible. But it's the only way I can run my all my emails simultaneously. I use it for nothing else, literally.

I don't care much for chromes general web-browsing. It seems too dumbed down for me, I like more options and controls.

Last edited by Dane M; 2011-03-12 at 06:20 AM.
Old 2011-03-12, 08:19 AM   #5
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

I use Firefox mostly. My bookmarks and such are managed in Firefox. Firefox is also one of the few browsers to do color management. Color management is quite nice when browsing photos and artwork, especially photos and artwork that has embedded color profiles. But Firefox has turned into a memory pig. A big memory pig that slows way down when it gorges on too much memory. I don't know if Firefox 4 gets less resource hungry, I haven't tried it yet.

I keep Seamonkey around with no plugins (well hardly any). I use it to check sites that may be acting weird in Firefox. If the site is fine in Seamonkey then it's probably an addon in Firefox that is messing things up.

I try Chrome for some things just to see what it does. It's missing color management. It would be neat if Chrome could somehow make Gmail act a bit like a standard desktop email app. Something so you could click on an email link in an app and have the email body/attachment open in Gmail ready to go. I think Google Gears could allow that, but I'm not sure.

IE9 has color management, but I've not been able to try it yet (The RC isn't stable with one of my favorite apps). I'll have to wait for the release version and hope it's stable before I get to try it. I use IE8 for whatever whenever things that get opened in IE.
john_childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 05:32 PM   #6
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_childs View Post
I use Firefox mostly. My bookmarks and such are managed in Firefox. Firefox is also one of the few browsers to do color management. Color management is quite nice when browsing photos and artwork, especially photos and artwork that has embedded color profiles. But Firefox has turned into a memory pig. A big memory pig that slows way down when it gorges on too much memory. I don't know if Firefox 4 gets less resource hungry, I haven't tried it yet.

I keep Seamonkey around with no plugins (well hardly any). I use it to check sites that may be acting weird in Firefox. If the site is fine in Seamonkey then it's probably an addon in Firefox that is messing things up.

I try Chrome for some things just to see what it does. It's missing color management. It would be neat if Chrome could somehow make Gmail act a bit like a standard desktop email app. Something so you could click on an email link in an app and have the email body/attachment open in Gmail ready to go. I think Google Gears could allow that, but I'm not sure.

IE9 has color management, but I've not been able to try it yet (The RC isn't stable with one of my favorite apps). I'll have to wait for the release version and hope it's stable before I get to try it. I use IE8 for whatever whenever things that get opened in IE.
You independently adjust color for each specific browser?

I just calibrate my monitor and all's good.
Old 2011-03-12, 02:21 PM   #7
nordicnoel
How many wheels today?

I use several browsers:

Safari for general browsing.

Chromium for searching and web development. Chromium is the fully open source version of Chrome, and is actually slightly nicer. Chromium has the best searching interface, so it is nice when wading through documentation and papers. Chromium seems to be the fastest browser.

Firefox for connecting to my test server with a fake DNS, and for the now rare non-WebKit-friendly sites. Firefox was my favorite back in the day before I moved to Galleon then Safari, but now the webkit browsers are much faster.

Epiphany (formerly Galleon) on Linux computers. It used to have the best bookmark manager, but I haven't used a Linux desktop in a while.

Opera has a bunch of nice features that other browsers don't, so I try it every now and then, but end up going back unless I need one of the cool features. Opera is usually the most standards compliant browser.

Chrome for Flash videos, since some people still insist on using that antiquated program. I have a Safari extension setup so I can play most Flash videos without actually having Flash installed, but it doesn't always work. Chrome has its own internal copy of Flash, so I use Chrome when I can't get around using Flash. I have a keyboard shortcut that automatically loads the active page from another browser in Chrome. Now that I don't have Flash installed on my computer, I have a good bit of free memory and everything runs much faster; but with Chrome, I have access when I really need it.

Internet Explorer (almost always referred to as Exploder, always running on someone else's computer or a virtual machine) to laugh at how it messes up websites. After finishing a new site, I'll check it in Exploder and add some Exploder bug workarounds to make the site tolerable. There is a cool program that lets you have every version of IE installed at the same time, to check what sites look like for people who still use the default Windows setup.
nordicnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 07:08 PM   #8
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicnoel View Post

Internet Explorer (almost always referred to as Exploder, always running on someone else's computer or a virtual machine) to laugh at how it messes up websites.
I sometimes refer to Linux as Linsux. So I guess we're both immature.
(Linux really does suck as a desktop OS. Server and specific utility use is more its thing.)
john_childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 09:26 PM   #9
nordicnoel
How many wheels today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_childs View Post
I sometimes refer to Linux as Linsux. So I guess we're both immature.
(Linux really does suck as a desktop OS. Server and specific utility use is more its thing.)
Yeah, it isn't very good, but at least it is UNIX like so I can get work done. I think it is still better as a desktop OS than on servers, but I use it for virtual servers because it is more convenient (programs I use are updated sooner) than BSD.

We do our web development for WebKit based browsers (Safari, Chromium/Chrome, Epiphany, ...) because that is fastest. Then we go through and add support for Firefox, then Opera; then finally make sure it looks OK in IE7+. (We'll probably drop IE7 soon though...)

And for those of you who use Chrome, give Chromium a try. I think it is slightly better...
Old 2011-03-12, 09:28 PM   #10
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicnoel View Post
And for those of you who use Chrome, give Chromium a try. I think it is slightly better...
Is it more like a normal browser? The screen real-estate of chrome is nice, but it's also annoyingly dumbed down.
Old 2011-03-12, 10:06 PM   #11
nordicnoel
How many wheels today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane M View Post
Is it more like a normal browser? The screen real-estate of chrome is nice, but it's also annoyingly dumbed down.
It's almost the same, just slightly nicer. I wouldn't say Chrome or Chromium are dumbed down, they just don't force the rarely used features on you if you don't want them. And they have the best search interface, so when I'm searching documentation, it is much faster to find what I'm looking for. Even with the browsers that have lots of buttons and whatnot by default, my first step is to remove everything but the address bar and status bar because I just use keyboard shortcuts anyway.

Oh, I forgot to mention the classic browser Lynx, which I still occasionally use.

Tags
assign, browsers, multiple, tasks, web